IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

warning! jmdtoy drl

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-12, 08:00 PM
flyfl1pguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 232lexus
all u guys make me laugh, so I should have taken another chance to damage my electrical system to c if the other one was bad? ill go do that right now,
So I guess its a laughing matter?
Contact the dealer tell them your problem and go on from there.
Putting down down the dealer doesn't solve anything.
Old 03-24-12, 09:03 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i haven't used their led drl, but do have their led for interior, etc. they been fine without issues

i understand your frustration take it easy and maybe try a different vendor.
Old 03-24-12, 09:44 PM
Jzsicklexi
Lead Lap

I have my jdmtoy led drl's coming in Monday. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Old 03-24-12, 10:39 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

woot, keep us updated
Old 03-25-12, 12:02 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Like others have said, not all electronics are made error free. It happens occasionally but thats no reason to hate on the company. Just because you may have gotten a bad drl doesnt mean that the next product you buy from them will be defective as well (unless your REALLY unlucky, but thats besides the point).

I suggest you contact ijdmtoy directly and at least get your money back.
Old 03-25-12, 02:24 AM
silk509
Rookie

well ive order some from jdm and it just got here. i will install them in my car monday or so... ill be sure to update my experience and see if they are cheap or arent...
Old 03-25-12, 02:43 AM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Contact the company, I run an LED company.. After selling 1000s of bulbs once in a while I get a defective bulb, its normal. This world is not perfectc, give them a chance to correct the issue.
Old 03-25-12, 10:48 AM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bwl
It's because you matched the wires wrong. Depending on the car, which wires are positive and negatives. The decoder plug also has a positive and negative. You have to match them, so most likely flip the plug upside on the decoder and plug into the car. It happened to me because i matched the +/- wrong and now it's fine. I'm assuming you plugged it in the way that it'll clip together... and then smoke came out... meaning it's matched wrong. So flip the plug upside down and then plug it. Electrical tape it so it stays plugged and you should be good to go. Well, it depends because maybe now your decoder is fried. Mine smoked a little when i plugged it wrong but it works now. Didn't fry it.
This. They have explicit warnings and info surrounding this product with the above info. Both shipping with the it, and on the sites that sell them. They will smoke or blow if put in the wrong. There is no mystery here.
Old 03-26-12, 12:28 AM
All4sho350
Lead Lap

i got a bunch of ijdmtoy leds and they are all great! contact the seller and they will resolve the issue..no need to bash...just like others say not ALL electronics will work 100% of the time
Old 03-26-12, 10:46 AM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 232lexus
To anyone thinking of buying these drl w decoders, do not buy! I just installed one of them on my car and did not put it in the housing to make sure it worked properly, well after about a min the decoder started smoking! I unplugged it and threw it in the trash!
I'm sorry to hear that. Like what members; anxiouz and bwl said in the posts above, it is most likely due to an installation error.

Since the decoder portion of the kit is just a capacitor, it is very sensitive to polarity. If you install it backwards where the negative is connected to the positive, it can do the following:

1. Blow a fuse
2. The decoder will smoke or liquid will come out
3. Damage the LED bulb

Our warranty does not cover improper installations and our return is voided for that particular part if it is damaged, but I understand that mistakes do happen and we're all human ($h!t happens). If you're within the 30 days of the original purchase date, I can set up a return for you as a one time courtesy. Or if you want an exchange for a replacement, I can do that as well, you would just need to send the damaged part back and we'll have it replaced.

If you can PM me your email address, order #, or name with the order, I can assist you with this. My job is to make sure that all our customers are happy and satisfied with what they get.

***EDIT 7/25*** We are no longer providing replacements if you install the decoder incorrectly. I'm sorry, but if you install it backwards without following directions, that's going to be on you, we will no longer assist customers with a free replacement under warranty who install the product incorrectly anymore. If you damage it, you buy a replacement.

Last edited by iJDMTOY; 07-25-12 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-26-12, 11:41 AM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by iJDMTOY
I'm sorry to hear that. Like what members; anxiouz and bwl said in the posts above, it is most likely due to an installation error.

Since the decoder portion of the kit is just a capacitor, it is very sensitive to polarity. If you install it backwards where the negative is connected to the positive, it can do the following:

1. Blow a fuse
2. The decoder will smoke or liquid will come out
3. Damage the LED bulb

Our warranty does not cover improper installations and our return is voided for that particular part if it is damaged, but I understand that mistakes do happen and we're all human ($h!t happens). If you're within the 30 days of the original purchase date, I can set up a return for you as a one time courtesy. Or if you want an exchange for a replacement, I can do that as well, you would just need to send the damaged part back and we'll have it replaced.

If you can PM me your email address, order #, or name with the order, I can assist you with this. My job is to make sure that all our customers are happy and satisfied with what they get.

damn....sounds like OP is gettin taken care of
Old 03-26-12, 08:03 PM
Jzsicklexi
Lead Lap

Okay now I'm pretty frustrated with ijdmtoy as well. After waiting nearly 2 months and multiple messages thru eBay I was told my led drl's with slim decoders were shippe last week. Today they arrive in the
Mail... With the large decoders!!! Are you serious? I can't install the large decoders because my projector retrofit has made the low beam area too crowded. I messaged them back on eBay asking for the slim ones but am just beyond tired of dealing with them at this point. I wired them just to see how they looked and they lit up fine. They seem to sort of flicker though, anyone else notice that?
Old 03-26-12, 09:51 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MikeyK02
damn....sounds like OP is gettin taken care of
sounds like good customer service
Old 03-27-12, 10:20 AM
d7620
Pole Position

I too, have been buying from IJDMTOY. my whole interior and drl are ijdm stuffs. had them for about a year...so far so good.
Old 03-28-12, 11:15 AM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jzsicklexi
Okay now I'm pretty frustrated with ijdmtoy as well. After waiting nearly 2 months and multiple messages thru eBay I was told my led drl's with slim decoders were shippe last week. Today they arrive in the
Mail... With the large decoders!!! Are you serious? I can't install the large decoders because my projector retrofit has made the low beam area too crowded. I messaged them back on eBay asking for the slim ones but am just beyond tired of dealing with them at this point. I wired them just to see how they looked and they lit up fine. They seem to sort of flicker though, anyone else notice that?
The correct slim decoders are being sent to you as I type. I'm also having my shipping department include a prepaid label for you to return the ones we sent you by mistake.

As I said over eBay to you earlier, our shipping department is still getting used to the "slim decoders" that we have available now. It is not yet entered into our SKU system so they do get confused since we are still using the same SKU number as the older decoders. I apologize on their behalf because of this.

The flickering is normal, I'm not too sure why it happens with Lexus vehicles, but it should be a very faint flicker that happens when you stare at the lights. It should not be a rapid strobe effect though. I had a customer with a SC430 come in the other day, we replaced the decoders and it still flickered slightly, but it wasn't a strobe effect.

When he turned on his AC or system in the car, the flickering got more noticeable which leads me to believe it may be something due to the electrical system of the vehicle. So all in all, the faint and slight flickering is normal and it should not harm anything.

Quick Reply: warning! jmdtoy drl