IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Tire flys off stock IS wheel, Lexus says its normal?!?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-12, 10:55 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A tire blowing off like that is normal??? Thats like saying its normal to get hit by car when walking across the street.
Old 03-27-12, 11:04 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by greg0126
Or he truly believes it's a safety feature. It wouldn't surprise me. A few weeks ago my service advisor tried to tell me it was impossible for them to turn off the DRLs.
The service advisor has not been properly informed. In terms of DRLs being disabled, it is yes an no. If it is a US car, the DRLs can be disabled by TechStream. For Canadian cars, you cannot because the ECU is different which the DRL feature does not show up in TechStream.

Jeff Lange confirmed this on his own car and managed to disable the DRLs on his Canadian car via modification. Supposedly one can swap the ECU but not sure how much that would. What can you say Jeff ?

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
i saw that but i wouldn't consider a tire with 16k on it as brand new which is why i was questioning. if it was brand new, say only like 100 miles on the tire then i would be lead to believe that whoever installed the tire did not properly seat the tire correctly
Oh maybe I miss-interpreted the post. I thought it was saying, the OP was driving on the new car+tire for 16K when the tire failed. This is what I mean by saying it was too short because it should not happen.
Old 03-27-12, 11:12 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango
Oh maybe I miss-interpreted the post. I thought it was saying, the OP was driving on the new car+tire for 16K when the tire failed. This is what I mean by saying it was too short because it should not happen.
could be, just the whole new tire thing threw me off. either way that is not normal no matter how many miles are on the tire.
Old 03-27-12, 11:40 AM
sheltop225
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Lexus dealer told me I would be lucky to get 15-20k out of the tires because of the way the suspension is set up. Plus the tires have a low tread wear rating. So I'm thinking that the tires were worn enough that the puncture caused it to blow.
Old 03-27-12, 11:44 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely not normal.

I don't think Lexus warranties the tires anyway. Not to sure about that but I think I read that somewhere.
Old 03-27-12, 12:07 PM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly I have seen tires tear like that but only when people drive fast on a flat tire accidentally and then it's too late. The tire tears off. I haven't seen it on a Lexus but I've seen it live on other cars. The tire just shreds and throws pieces all over on the road and then it just comes off totally.
Old 03-27-12, 01:30 PM
Gryss
Driver School Candidate

I don't think your service advisor lied to you. I think he is pretty dim...

That is not a saftey feature. That is what it looks like when a tire fails, defect of not.
Old 03-27-12, 01:48 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This symptom would be more known on semi trucks which you see the tire treads on the side of the road here and there once a while.
Old 03-27-12, 02:21 PM
Denver
Lead Lap

when was the tire made?? could be dry rotted or defected tire. bad tires can tear up like that. i get customers pulling up to the shop with shredded tires.
Old 03-27-12, 02:33 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Def not a safety feature....but If you drive the car with a flat tire at high speed, yes it will fly off because the tires were rubbing against each other and therefore deteched with the rims (esp low profile tires).

How long have you been driving since the light came up? You should have stopped and check the tires right away......

Last edited by kickin8; 03-27-12 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-27-12, 02:56 PM
305is350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Usually when I see things like this it's usually from driving on a flat tire, or severely underinflated.

Hmm..

Jeff
I agree on this statement....
Old 03-27-12, 04:28 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 779 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by 305is350
I agree on this statement....

+1 When the tire is deflated the sidewalls rub the ground chewed up and flew off the car. Its not the tires fault, nor the dealers fault.
Old 03-27-12, 05:56 PM
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

What is the brand of the tires? Is it Bridgestone?
Old 03-27-12, 06:00 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

interesting how the last picture show overinflation wear on the middle of the tire
Old 03-27-12, 06:20 PM
Toymota
Pole Position

There is a nice Tire Rack article about blowouts here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=13

The term "blowout" is generally used by drivers to describe a bursting tire accompanied by a rapid loss of air pressure. While one might assume that all blowouts are caused by too much internal pressure bursting a weak spot in the tire, the main reason for them is just the opposite. Most blowouts are caused by too little air pressure allowing the tire to flex beyond its elastic limits until it overheats to the point where the rubber loses its bond to the internal fabric and steel cord reinforcement.

Tire blowouts are usually the result of overloading the vehicle, impact damage (either immediate or delayed depending on severity of the impact), a massive cut that causes rapid air loss, or an unnoticed small puncture that allows the tire to slowly lose air over time until it fails. Blowouts are typically caused by anything that allows air to escape and prevents the tire from supporting the weight of the vehicle.
So it might be possible that there was some impact damage to the tire at any point in the 16,000 miles you drove the vehicle that eventually caused the blowout, or you had a small puncture that rapidly developed into a blowout, which could happen to anyone at any time. You can't really blame Lexus, the tire manufacturer or the dealer for these.

What your service advisor said was definitely BS though. I see them as people trained more towards customer service providers. Don't assume they have deep technical knowledge about cars...

Quick Reply: Tire flys off stock IS wheel, Lexus says its normal?!?!?!?!?