IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Tire flys off stock IS wheel, Lexus says its normal?!?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-12, 07:51 AM
ISMAN250
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire flys off stock IS wheel, Lexus says its normal?!?!?!?!?

So I am driving about 50 mph, and my tpms light comes up. All the sudden the tire rips off my wheel and car falls onto the wheel obviously and I pull to a quick stop. I throw my spare on and head to lexus, b/c I only have 16k on my car and as you can see my tread is new. [

They check my tire and say it has a puncture on it. I said ok, well thats fine, but this tire is obviously faulty, b/c it should not fly off like that. Well apparently the service advisor had the answer. If someone can verify this for me, please tell me, but the advisor says: " This is supposed to happen, the stock wheel is designed so when it gets low to puncture the tire and it come off" ????? REALLY?????? I pay good money for a lexus, and this is the safety measure? If I am the only crazy one in thinking that a wheel designed to pop the tire off is a bad idea, please someone bring me back down to earth then???
Attached Images      
Old 03-27-12, 07:56 AM
mixa86
Pole Position

did the rim get ****ed?? if so, and they say its normal are they going to cover a new rim for you since its "normal" to cause an accident scene on the highway. i think the service advisor had one to many in the morning.
Old 03-27-12, 08:05 AM
Shervin350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WAT A b.s, did they replace it for you?
Old 03-27-12, 08:06 AM
Marexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tires do and can rip off rims, but not as a safety measure. Usually it's because the tire is dry rotted or faulty.
Old 03-27-12, 08:07 AM
ISMAN250
Driver

I didnt get to inspect the rim to much, but i am pretty sure it got scuffed, not to mention some rubber piece had to be ordered that my car lost when the tire flew. I have never heard of a wheel designed to make the tire fly off, this is extremely dangerous, not just for the car and person in it, but the people around it. I mean if a tire flys off a wheel and hits another car, that can cause another accident. I have to buy a new tire now, yet I can seem to understand how this is normal. I dont know if I should get an attorney, or if this is a normal thing? Any lexus techs here, that can confirm this???
Old 03-27-12, 08:08 AM
ISMAN250
Driver

Their is no way the tire is dry rotted, their brand new, faulty is what I was thinking and lexus just didnt want to help me. They made up total bull, I feel it about the wheel.
Old 03-27-12, 08:19 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

when you say brand new, how long were they on the car before this happened?
Old 03-27-12, 09:15 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^
16K, but way too short for something to happen on the tire. It's more like a defective tire.
--------
To the OP: Did you contact the tire manufacturer?
Old 03-27-12, 09:17 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

Usually when I see things like this it's usually from driving on a flat tire, or severely underinflated.

Hmm..

Jeff
Old 03-27-12, 09:38 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The tire itself is not a defect from Lexus but from the manufacturer of the tire. If you check your warranty booklet, there are manufacturer numbers to contact for any tire defects. They'll most likely ask you to take it to a tire retail shop, and go through them to process a tire defect claim.
Old 03-27-12, 09:44 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

tread looks ok, but the sidewalls.. yikes.. glad everythings alright
Old 03-27-12, 10:08 AM
ISMAN250
Driver

Well unless my tpms is broken and my tires have learned to do a magical illusion and look normal, it was deflated before I started driving. I have to pick up the car in 2 days, so I will know more, but I guess I will have to go the route of trying to get a replacement tire.

Lets be real here though, I mean I dont think the service advisor should be making up lies about the stock wheels. This is clearly a straight defect in the tire, and b/c their to lazy he risks making up something like that?
Old 03-27-12, 10:15 AM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Or he truly believes it's a safety feature. It wouldn't surprise me. A few weeks ago my service advisor tried to tell me it was impossible for them to turn off the DRLs.
Old 03-27-12, 10:37 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by ISMAN250
Their is no way the tire is dry rotted, their brand new, faulty is what I was thinking and lexus just didnt want to help me. They made up total bull, I feel it about the wheel.
What's the manufacture date of the tire (imprinted on the sidewall)? Just because you bought the tire new, doesn't mean it hasn't been sitting on a shelf for a very long time.

PS. "they're", "there" and "their" have 3 different meanings. You might want to look them up.
Old 03-27-12, 10:42 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango
^
16K, but way too short for something to happen on the tire. It's more like a defective tire.
--------
To the OP: Did you contact the tire manufacturer?
i saw that but i wouldnt consider a tire with 16k on it as brand new which is why i was questioning. if it was brand new, say only like 100 miles on the tire then i would be lead to believe that whoever installed the tire did not properly seat the tire correctly

Quick Reply: Tire flys off stock IS wheel, Lexus says its normal?!?!?!?!?