IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need some legal advice with a situation that happen with my car.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-12, 05:04 PM
Rolando
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks guys i appreciate all the feedback
Old 03-29-12, 05:13 PM
mixa86
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

which lounge is this that it happened at?
Old 03-29-12, 05:26 PM
is150
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by calvin2376
This is my understanding of the situation, and others can correct me if I'm wrong. Here are the steps:

1) File a police report (you've done this already)

2) File a comprehensive claim with your insurance company under vandalism, and inform them of the fact that you filed a police report and have identified the perpetrator

3) The insurance company will cover your damages under the comprehensive claim (you will pay the deductible)

4) The insurance company can then decide whether to pursue the bouncer for the payment they made for damages

This is my understanding of the situation, and is backed up by multiple results when you Google situations like this: http://carinsurance.about.com/od/Car...nce-Claims.htm

The only part I'm not totally clear on is if and how you and your insurance company can recover payment from the bouncer after the car is fixed. You'll be out the deductible, and the insurance company will be out the rest - obviously the bouncer owes you this money, I just don't exactly know how that works.
This is correct up till #4. If it was a civil suit then the insurance company would sue the bouncer or his insurance companty. Or if this was going to go to small claims court then the OP would diectly sue the bouncer. But since this is a criminal case the bouncer will be held liable to cover the cost of the damages (usually just the deductable) by the criminal court.

This also answers your last question about recovering payment for the car if it is already fixed. You can go ahead and have the damage fixed while pursuing criminal charges. Youll be out the deductible up until the bouncer is found guilty and ordered to pay his fine/court costs/ resitution. You have pics, the Officer/detective has pics and personally seen the damage go ahead and get it fixed.
Old 03-29-12, 06:05 PM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Rolando
nice sarcasm i just wanted to hear people opinion on the situation if you have nothing positive or helpful to say please don't post. Thank you
positive or helpful...sure

did you witness him actually hit your car?? If no, good luck. because if I'm a lawyer, I'd say your story has more holes in it than solid concrete evidence.

And please explain something, how does one just magically get mess with by a bouncer? Didnt like your shoelaces

All I'm saying is you have a tough case, you didnt get a police report filled out on site. You said you didnt want to do anything because there were minors around?

If that's your story, you've got a tough road ahead of you
Old 03-29-12, 07:07 PM
Rolando
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MikeyK02
positive or helpful...sure

did you witness him actually hit your car?? If no, good luck. because if I'm a lawyer, I'd say your story has more holes in it than solid concrete evidence.

And please explain something, how does one just magically get mess with by a bouncer? Didnt like your shoelaces

All I'm saying is you have a tough case, you didnt get a police report filled out on site. You said you didnt want to do anything because there were minors around?

If that's your story, you've got a tough road ahead of you
dude if i was lieing about anything i wouldn't have wrote what i did and admitted to my mistake i got in the car and not only did i witness it but also 3 other people did. Also when i said i did not want to call the cops on the spot is because if they knew about the minors they would have shut down the place asap and i actually know people who work there and they need that money to survive so i did not want to be selfish i don't know how they do it in your town but in NY in the "hood" is not as nice as you expect
Old 03-29-12, 07:24 PM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

dude if i was lieing about anything i wouldn't have wrote what i did and admitted to my mistake i got in the car and not only did i witness it but also 3 other people did. Also when i said i did not want to call the cops on the spot is because if they knew about the minors they would have shut down the place asap and i actually know people who work there and they need that money to survive so i did not want to be selfish i don't know how they do it in your town but in NY in the "hood" is not as nice as you expect
That's what I'm saying. In your original post. Nothing was stated about others witnessing your car being hit. And I am honestly too old for clubbin. Unless I'm in Vegas or on vacation. When I did hang in less desirable areas, I took the beater car for stuff like this. If you have witnesses good....I'm just stating it may not be worth it monetary wise in the end. See if any of your friends have lawyer connections and go from there. It took six months for my legal process to go down, so I'm talking from experience
Old 03-29-12, 07:26 PM
Rolando
Intermediate

Alright cool thanks
Old 03-29-12, 07:58 PM
wald.sc400
BANNED for ripping off other members

rolando, my advice is to pursue with legal actions, you have a police report, provide the proof to your insurance and i'd proceed with small claims court. the bouncer is in no right to cause damage to your property, more so if you're actually inside your car driving away from the location. surveillance cameras are helpful. although i doubt the owner may release them without a fight. try to speak to nearby store/building owners to help you with their surveillance. some of the people don't understand the new york mentality, you get stomped and shot at for kicks, and the night scene here is no exception. alot of bouncers here have a sense of superiority and think they're untouchable, and actually pick random verbal arguments. people comment and give their .2 cents but have no idea on the different territorial barriers. just because your "neck of the woods" is a certain way, does not mean the entire planet is the same
Old 03-29-12, 09:09 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Rolando, sorry to hear about the drama. I know I've been to many calls with my fire dept to closing time at night clubs. I don't know why he followed you and you already admitted you shouldn't have thrown an object at him. That didn't give him the right to follow you down the street and hit your car. I'd call a lawyer who'll give you a free consultation and they'll be able to give you an idea if you have a case. Good luck.
Old 03-29-12, 09:19 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by is150
This is correct up till #4. If it was a civil suit then the insurance company would sue the bouncer or his insurance companty. Or if this was going to go to small claims court then the OP would diectly sue the bouncer. But since this is a criminal case the bouncer will be held liable to cover the cost of the damages (usually just the deductable) by the criminal court.

This also answers your last question about recovering payment for the car if it is already fixed. You can go ahead and have the damage fixed while pursuing criminal charges. Youll be out the deductible up until the bouncer is found guilty and ordered to pay his fine/court costs/ resitution. You have pics, the Officer/detective has pics and personally seen the damage go ahead and get it fixed.
^^This. If you have full coverage, just get a copy of the police report and go directly to your insurance. They have their own legal teams and such and will work things out for you. It would be different if he hit you with something, but because he only damaged your car, insurance will cover you. If you are able to identify the bouncer by name after filing the police report, you may not even be required to pay your deductible in some cases.
Old 03-29-12, 10:16 PM
Rolando
Intermediate

thanks to everyone who took there time to respond i appreciate it
Old 03-30-12, 04:22 AM
donnieS
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, we're talking about < $1k worth of work (prob. less after insurance, but you've not mentioned your deductible). Hardly seems worth the effort to me. Think about how many hours of your time it's going to take to resolve this legally and how much your time is worth. Mine's worth more than this to me.

Anyway, you state that you didn't want to call the fuzz when it happened because there's illegal stuff (minors) on site and you're concerned about the ability of your compadres to keep working and not having the joint shut down. Seems to me that anything you start pushing through the courts could bring additional attention to the establishment. Is it worth the cost of your deductible to run that risk for the people who 'need that money to survive'?

I'd personally leave this one alone and chalk what happened up to instant karma.

ds
Old 03-30-12, 05:06 AM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

and dont be a punk throwing a can at a bouncer.

Judge Judy would tell you to stop acting like a ****!
Old 04-02-12, 01:50 PM
DKnight350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by J3ffrey
and dont be a punk throwing a can at a bouncer.

Judge Judy would tell you to stop acting like a ****!
Very funny (and true) !
Old 04-08-12, 09:23 AM
Tendi23
Driver School Candidate

Did you hit him with the can? Honestly... If you did,it will be considered that you initiated the dispute.