Purchasing 2012 IS350 ("F Sport") - Advice and Opinions Sought

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-12, 10:10 AM
Economist
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing 2012 IS350 ("F Sport") - Advice and Opinions Sought

Hello Everyone -

My first post herein will serve as both an introduction and inquiry. Long/short is that, after a protracted search, I've (almost) settled on an IS350 (with the "F-Sport" package up here in Canada) and I'm soliciting some last minute advice, thoughts, and opinions. Ultimately, for the people who have this same vehicle or have driven it, do you like the car?

Background: I arrived at this preliminary conclusion based on what I preceive to be compelling value (I need a four door car of smaller dimension - I don't like big cars - with promise of good performance). For just C$50k- you have an extremely well equipped, well performing, attractive automobile of solid build quality. I initially started by looking at the upcoming 335i M-Sport and then quickly saw that it would be C$60k+ - in my mind, unacceptable money for a 3-series (I've also associated BMWs with the proverbial BMW douchebag, though I'm not sure if that image has changed lately). So, then I thought of a 328i M-Sport... still mid-C$50k... steep for a four cylinder (albeit a great four cylinder) mid-range 3-series. I think these cars are undoubtedly great, but I can't, in my mind, justify the badge premium. So then I saw the GS350 "F Sport" and loved it! - less money than a 335i M-Sport for way more car; makes sense to me... But, I don't need a car that big at this stage and that's how I found the IS350 "F Sport".

Then I read online that some people were complaining about the manual option on the Lexus auto transmission - how is the transmission? Are the manual shifts responsive? Can you hold it to the redline? Does the auto override your manual inputs?

Also, has anoyone here switched from a 3-series? Or, alternatively, thinking of making the switch?

Most importantly, would you recommend this type of purchase based on the criteria I outlined initially?

Sorry for the long post.

Kind regards,

m.
Old 04-12-12, 10:27 AM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

Go for it. I have an '11 and love it. Mind you, I have the US one and from what I've read the F-sport in Canada brings some more options than the US version, so even better. As for the transmision, it is not a manual shifter, it is just a rev limiter so it's not the most responsive.... still fun and you can pretty much red line it if you want it to but honestly, the auto transmision is so awesome on the IS350 that I barely ever use the shifters
Old 04-12-12, 10:38 AM
TooFly4Ya
Pole Position

I love my my IS 350, the only BMW I have owned is the M3 and I must say that was a great car as well, but for a daily driving car I would pick the 350 any day. In manual sport mode, for the 350 you can redline the engine, the 1st few times you drive it in manual you will figure this out quickly. In general I have found BMW to be a bit more expensive on Maintenance cost though my experience is a bit swayed for the BMW I had was in a higher price range bracket than the Lexus I purchased.

-Based on your criteria outlined yes I would recommend this vehicle but I hope you ask yourself these questions.
--->Will you be happy purchasing this car now for 50K even though the new IS series will be coming out late this year or in 2013?
---> Do you plan on modifying the vehicle moderately for performance? If so, it would be best to choose a different vehicle.

Hope this helps mate, and welcome to CL.
Old 04-12-12, 10:54 AM
Economist
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses; really appreciated and already putting my mind at ease... I should note, timing wise, I will be taking delivery of the car at the end of the year... maybe if there is a new model coming out there will be a bigger dealer incentive / discount?
Old 04-12-12, 10:59 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Economist
Hello Everyone -

My first post herein will serve as both an introduction and inquiry. Long/short is that, after a protracted search, I've (almost) settled on an IS350 (with the "F-Sport" package up here in Canada) and I'm soliciting some last minute advice, thoughts, and opinions. Ultimately, for the people who have this same vehicle or have driven it, do you like the car?

Background: I arrived at this preliminary conclusion based on what I preceive to be compelling value (I need a four door car of smaller dimension - I don't like big cars - with promise of good performance). For just C$50k- you have an extremely well equipped, well performing, attractive automobile of solid build quality. I initially started by looking at the upcoming 335i M-Sport and then quickly saw that it would be C$60k+ - in my mind, unacceptable money for a 3-series (I've also associated BMWs with the proverbial BMW douchebag, though I'm not sure if that image has changed lately). So, then I thought of a 328i M-Sport... still mid-C$50k... steep for a four cylinder (albeit a great four cylinder) mid-range 3-series. I think these cars are undoubtedly great, but I can't, in my mind, justify the badge premium. So then I saw the GS350 "F Sport" and loved it! - less money than a 335i M-Sport for way more car; makes sense to me... But, I don't need a car that big at this stage and that's how I found the IS350 "F Sport".
I agree with you- BMW offers terrible value for the $ compared to the IS when similarly equipped.

Then I read online that some people were complaining about the manual option on the Lexus auto transmission - how is the transmission? Are the manual shifts responsive? Can you hold it to the redline? Does the auto override your manual inputs?

Just to level set you- the ISx50 does not have a manual mode. Period.

The IS-F has one, and it's incredibly good. Shifts are significantly faster than anything BMW sells with or without a clutch pedal. At time of release it was the fastest shifting production car in the world.

The only thing the ISx50 has is a top gear limiter.

This means if you leave it in D you have a FULLY AUTOMATIC 6 speed transmission.

if you put it in S-4 mode then you have a FULLY AUTOMATIC 4 speed automatic transmission.

If you paddle it down to S-3 then it's a FULLY AUTOMATIC 3 speed transmission.

If you paddle it up to S-5 then it's a FULLY AUTOMATIC 5 speed transmission.

In all these cases it will freely up and down shift between all available gears as the computer thinks is needed. It will bounce off the rev limiter infinitely when you redline in whatever you set as the max gear.

Used in certain contexts this can trick you into thinking you are shifting the car, but you never, ever, ever, are. It's an automatic, and you can lock out upper gear ranges, that's it.

The paddles are not useful for straight-line performance purposes. If you want to win a drag race, leave it in D.
Old 04-12-12, 11:08 AM
Economist
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Just to level set you- the ISx50 does not have a manual mode. Period.

The IS-F has one, and it's incredibly good. Shifts are significantly faster than anything BMW sells with or without a clutch pedal. At time of release it was the fastest shifting production car in the world.

The only thing the ISx50 has is a top gear limiter.

This means if you leave it in D you have a FULLY AUTOMATIC 6 speed transmission.

if you put it in S-4 mode then you have a FULLY AUTOMATIC 4 speed automatic transmission.

If you paddle it down to S-3 then it's a FULLY AUTOMATIC 3 speed transmission.

If you paddle it up to S-5 then it's a FULLY AUTOMATIC 5 speed transmission.

In all these cases it will freely up and down shift between all available gears as the computer thinks is needed. It will bounce off the rev limiter infinitely when you redline in whatever you set as the max gear.

Used in certain contexts this can trick you into thinking you are shifting the car, but you never, ever, ever, are. It's an automatic, and you can lock out upper gear ranges, that's it.

The paddles are not useful for straight-line performance purposes. If you want to win a drag race, leave it in D.
Wow, thanks for the clarification - I was totally mistaken, then. I've only driven manual cars or cars that have a dual clutch manual option... does anyone think the 'auto box is a drawback on this car?
Old 04-12-12, 11:17 AM
Mikaveli
Rookie

welcome i've owned a m3 and the new 3 series 335i and i've owned a slew of 4 door saloon cars i honestly love my is350...and i have the 2007 fully loaded. but bang for buck comfort and style performance and ease of modding i never once looked back on my purchase you'll love the car. and gl with everything
Old 04-12-12, 11:37 AM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

While the car is an automatic, the transmission logic is fantastic. In PWR mode during spirited driving (left simply in D), the car will pretty much always pick the right gear for what you want it to do. It downshifts quickly, holds gears in anticipation, and really is a nice auto. It takes a little practice getting used to it, but it works wonderfully. I've almost never used the paddles to hold gears. I recommend you find a way to test drive one of these cars for more than an around the block spin though.
Old 04-12-12, 12:14 PM
Mikaveli
Rookie

Originally Posted by kyoso23
While the car is an automatic, the transmission logic is fantastic. In PWR mode during spirited driving (left simply in D), the car will pretty much always pick the right gear for what you want it to do. It downshifts quickly, holds gears in anticipation, and really is a nice auto. It takes a little practice getting used to it, but it works wonderfully. I've almost never used the paddles to hold gears. I recommend you find a way to test drive one of these cars for more than an around the block spin though.
^^ hes right track time it upp
Old 04-12-12, 12:35 PM
Economist
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again for all the info - really, exactly what I was looking for.

My ETD for this is end of year, though... is there a model change slated for then? Does anyone have enough info about the new model?
Old 04-12-12, 01:46 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

The auto industry is changing at a rapid rate in this class. Eight months is a long time. What you see today will mostly be irrelevant next (model) year. You have a ways to go.
Old 04-12-12, 01:50 PM
aaquino3
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again for all the info - really, exactly what I was looking for.

My ETD for this is end of year, though... is there a model change slated for then? Does anyone have enough info about the new model?
they have already announced the 2013 GS, ES, RX line up. I haven't heard any on the new 2013 ISx line. I would really love to know whats coming up
Old 04-12-12, 02:35 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm curious as well. I wonder if they're considering a new or updated (higher displacement) V6 to be launched with the IS, along with a grip of new tech goodies. It will be exciting to see.
Old 04-12-12, 02:59 PM
flavious
Driver School Candidate

Hello Everyone -

Hi there.

I think you will love the car.

I've had my fully loaded 2012 IS350 AWD for just over 3 months now. After doing my research I was of the opinion that it would be a much better idea to get the luxury and technology upgrades that can't (or not easily) be added afterwards and upgrade the car with F-Sport parts when time, money, and interest permits.

Have you looked at the IS350 AWD ? I'm also in Ontario and its a good option for winter. In combination with winter tires and the "Snow" mode button, I felt completly in control. More so than my previous FWD vehicle with witner tires. And fully loaded, the IS350 AWD is only $1,500 more than the IS350 RWD F-Sport.

The one option I really love in my car is the Mark Levinson audio upgrade. You can't get that in the model you are looking at..and there is no way I would spend $50k+ without it !

As for the paddle shifters, I went into the purchase knowing they are not true shifters. And honestly, I am pleased enough with "automatic" mode that I haven't even tried them yet.

Be careful trying to time your purchase to end of year. You might get hosed if you are set on a specific color or options. That's what happened to me for the 2011s which is why I waited for 2012. Also, I heard (don't know if its true) that production will wind down in a few months and only inventory will be left.

Personally, I would prefer buying year 7 of the 2nd generation to year 1 of a redesign. Even now issues are still being addressed (like the bubbling headlight defect in the 2011s), so why go back to square one ?

FM
Old 04-12-12, 03:10 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, thanks for the clarification - I was totally mistaken, then. I've only driven manual cars or cars that have a dual clutch manual option... does anyone think the 'auto box is a drawback on this car?
I've only driven automatic cars and the IS350's automatic transmission suits me well.

Based on your first post, it sounds like you really placed importance on having a paddle-shifting "manu-matic" transmission.

I think the ISF would perfectly suit your needs. The paddle shifting manual mode int he ISF is just superb.

The manual transmission in the IS250 is generally regarded as being very subpar, and the IS350 has no true manual shifting mode like Kurtz said. If I were you, I'd be very wary of purchasing this car unless you're absolutely content on driving a car with a fully automatic transmission. For all intents and purposes, you will never have any occasion to actually mess with the gear-limiting paddles on the IS350.

Give the ISF a nice, long look -

Quick Reply: Purchasing 2012 IS350 ("F Sport") - Advice and Opinions Sought