IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anybody use the jdmtoy "error-free" led signal bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-12 | 11:30 AM
IceIridium
Instructor

Default Anybody use the jdmtoy "error-free" led signal bulbs?

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/7440-Single...ee-7440-2n.htm

I think they're claiming the bulbs are a direct swap without needing resistors or a change in the flasher relay and won't hyperflash?

Anybody tried it before? Does it work per the above claim?

And if you have it... how bright is it vs the stock 7440A bulb?
Old 04-14-12 | 11:37 AM
teefar
Driver

Oh wow.... *Subscribed*
Old 04-14-12 | 01:47 PM
Sango
Pole Position

I'm not too sure about those, but due to the nature of the SMD's they won't have that kind of light output which my CREE ones have, in which in this case will show it's disadvantage in the daylight.

I recently put them on the rear of the car with the LED turn signal relay from VLED. Have not put the CREE ones in the front yet; but when I do I will go back to the project of modifying the stock flasher with a resistor so I do not have to use the LED turn signal relay.

Last edited by Sango; 04-14-12 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-14-12 | 02:43 PM
IceIridium
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sango
I'm not too sure about those, but due to the nature of the SMD's they won't have that kind of light output which my CREE ones have, in which in this case will show it's disadvantage in the daylight.

I recently put them on the rear of the car with the LED turn signal relay from VLED. Have not put the CREE ones in the front yet; but when I do I will go back to the project of modifying the stock flasher with a resistor so I do not have to use the LED turn signal relay.
I was considering these to put them in the front for when I put in the 2012 headlights since the signal section is totally clear vs my current headlights and the amber bulb shows through. And since the bulb sits vertically in the housing, I didn't consider your Cree's because they would end up pointing straight up. I'd need light emitting from the side of the bulbs. I know your Cree's do have some side SMT LED's but that wouldn't be any different than any other SMT LED bulbs for that purpose.
Old 04-14-12 | 04:00 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Yeah that was my concern too which I had. It may not be much of a concern because there should be a reflector at the top which should bounce and scatter. Since the beam's output is quite good, it should be able to spread within the housing and still give a solid like look.
Old 04-15-12 | 01:33 AM
IceIridium
Instructor

Did you put the Cree's in your front signals?
Old 04-15-12 | 11:03 AM
RPiS350
Rookie

I got these same lights for my fronts, but haven't installed them yet cause it seems like a hassle with the resistor and I don't wanna mess something up ha maybe I can find someone to install them for me or maybe just sell them lol
Old 04-15-12 | 12:27 PM
Sango
Pole Position

The two other CREE's are not installed in the front because I am waiting for the bulb and HID projector housing to arrive for the fog first. Once these arrive, they will all be done in one shot as the bumper will need to come off to do all this at the same time.

Good thing the LED turn signal relay is a good sub for the time being - very bright in the back
Old 04-16-12 | 12:56 AM
IceIridium
Instructor

Originally Posted by RPiS350
I got these same lights for my fronts, but haven't installed them yet cause it seems like a hassle with the resistor and I don't wanna mess something up ha maybe I can find someone to install them for me or maybe just sell them lol
I thought these are supposed to NOT need extra resistors?

If you have the exact ones as the link, put them on (the rears if you want to do it quickly) and report back on the brightness and whether it hyperflashes or not without resistors...
Old 04-16-12 | 01:31 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IceIridium
I thought these are supposed to NOT need extra resistors?

If you have the exact ones as the link, put them on (the rears if you want to do it quickly) and report back on the brightness and whether it hyperflashes or not without resistors...
RPiS350 may need to clarify because it appears that he was replying that he has the same lights as mine (CREE); in which the reply makes sense.