Headlight bulb question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-12, 12:06 PM
jooksingja
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight bulb question

Hello CL,

I have a 2007 Lexus IS250 with NON-HID headlights. I was looking into getting HIDs from DTM Tuning coz they were so affordable but they are charging $50 just for shipping to Canada.

So I figured of just getting white/blue bulbs instead. I know it won't be as bright and "nice" as getting a HID kit, but I am ok with it.

Now onto my questions....

1) Do I just get H11 headlight bulbs?
2) Are there different sets of bulbs for low beam and high beams?
3) Any recommendations?
4) How easy is it to get down to the headlight socket to change the bulbs?

Thanks!
Old 04-23-12, 12:23 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jooksingja
Hello CL,

I have a 2007 Lexus IS250 with NON-HID headlights. I was looking into getting HIDs from DTM Tuning coz they were so affordable but they are charging $50 just for shipping to Canada.

So I figured of just getting white/blue bulbs instead. I know it won't be as bright and "nice" as getting a HID kit, but I am ok with it.

3) Any recommendations?

Thanks!
2) Yes - the low beam and high beam bulbs are different. The high beams are the same as the yellow daytime running lights (DRLs) but at full power, while the DRLs are at half power.

3) I strongly recommend a HID kit as opposed to just buying new bulbs. HID kits really aren't too expensive, but the benefit is huge. There are a lot of vendors on CL that sell them and may offer better deals.

4) There's a DIY here on CL. It's very easy once you know how to do it. You will have to remove the air box and probably the washer fluid tube, but both are extremely easy to remove and put back.
Old 04-23-12, 12:35 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

1. Check your PM
2. High beams is H11, low is 9005 (correct me if i was wrong)
3. HID is recommended due to brightness and just a little higher than xenon
4. Have to remove engine bay cover and windshield washer refill tube.
Old 04-23-12, 01:29 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^
I think you mean halogen because HID = Xenon!
Old 04-23-12, 01:39 PM
jooksingja
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for your quick responses.
Old 04-23-12, 06:18 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jooksingja
Hello CL,

3) Any recommendations?

Thanks!
DDM is not that great quality-wise, but yes they are cheap. But with the added shipping to Canada and duty (my friend was charged $40 at the door, he bought 3 sets), it's not worth it.

Changing bulbs is a good short-term solution, but HID definitely better for long term. Plus, it's much brighter and better for safety.

Lowbeam is H11, Fogs are 9006, DRL/Highbeam are 9005

There's lots of HID kits you can get locally for decent prices. I just changed mine and got quoted around, ranging from $65 to $140 CAD inclusive. I ended up getting the Volt kit from XenonDepot, ordered off kbcarstuff.com...came out to $110 CAD shipped. Not cheap considering today's prices in HID, but they are a reputable vendor here and as well they got a 2 year warranty as opposed to only 1 year from any other HID.

Personally, I am planning to change my DRL/Highbeam to blue bulbs, and my fogs I will vinyl wrap it yellow. With the half amount of output, the DRL will look white, and high beam will have blue tint but I'm barely going to use it.

Honestly, it wasn't hard to install, but in comparison to all HID installations, I would say IS is on the tough side. Because I had to remove the air box and drill a hole in the plastic cover. On the other side (driver's side), had to remove the windshield fluid tube and it was a little harder to get the bulb into place. But PM me and I'll reply you some DIY tutorials I found (both writeups and videos).

Overall, it was worth the investment, and feels good to DIY because I got to know my car better
Old 04-25-12, 12:56 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

jooksingja - I see that you are in Toronto. We are a Canadian company specializing in Xenon lighting and have been sponsoring the Club Lexus forum for over 5 years. You will need an H11 HID kit to convert your low beams to HID. You do not convert the high beams.

You also get $25 off being a Club Lexus member - just enter coupon code CL upon checkout. Give us a call at 877-522-2701 if you have any questions