IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

"Check VSC" mssg and electical failure after Navigation Hack attempt

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-12, 07:28 PM
lchan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Check VSC" mssg and electical failure after Navigation Hack attempt

Attempted to install hybrid 2011 Generation 5 Navigation DVD with loading kiwi from 5.1 for 2007 IS 350. Removed original DVD,pulled Radio 1 fuse and waited 5 minutes before reinserting Radio Fuse 1. Turned on car and new maps were loaded but unable to access service menu with the "Menu, Volume, Upper Left, Lower Left, Upper Left and Lower Left". Turned off car and started it up but "Check VSC" mssg came up and unable to start car. However, was able to access service menu. Did not change anything but tried to restart car. After many failed attempts and instances when navigation didn't even load up, was finally able to have the navigation turn on long enough to eject Hybrid DVD and reinstall original 6.1 DVD. After several repeated failed attempts to start the car, the navigation screen won't even turn on now, power in the car won't stay on long enough to close windows or sunroof. Tried resetting by removing negative terminal of battery opening and closing gas tank cover to no avail.

This was totally not worth trying to fix the problem of not being able to have access to the navi while I'm driving. Preparing to shamefully tow the car back to dealer on my own dime. Feeling sick to my stomach. Please don't judge but any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by lchan; 04-23-12 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Forgot Car make and model
Old 04-23-12, 07:57 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Im lost you title say Nav hack? But all you did was change the disc which is not a nav hack? Didnt think you have to remove the fuse to swap the disc.
Old 04-23-12, 10:56 PM
lchan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by laobo979
Im lost you title say Nav hack? But all you did was change the disc which is not a nav hack? Didnt think you have to remove the fuse to swap the disc.
You're absolutely right, it's not exactly a Nav Hack. It just involved burning a new Navigation DVD with a replaced loading.kiwi file from the 5.1 DVD. Apparently, that loading.kiwi file allowed you to access the service menu which gives you the option of over-riding the navigation lock out when the car is in motion. The instructions advised that Radio 1 fuse needed to be removed while there was no Navigation DVD in the car. Upon re-inserting the fuse and inserting the new "hybrid" navigation DVD, the navigation will reset and utilize the 5.1 loading.kiwi file allowing access to the service menu.

It may have all been a terrible fluke but I noticed the power seemed to continue to drain from the car as each subsequent attempt to start the car seemed to proceed less into the startup sequence. There was a point when the pwr was in auxillary and the car kept on cycling off and on. For example, the tachometer and speedometer needles would try to light up and turn and then shut down again before it rotated pass 1/8 of the display. This would happen again and again unitl I hit the start/stop button to turn off the car. After taking a few hours away from the car and returning, it seemed like the battery was drained. So I jump started it with the stock Navigation DVD still in the car and everything loaded up fine and the car started up fine as well. The only thing that's abnormal now is that sunroof was left slightly open and it's non-responsive. Tried using the smartkey button to open it up all the way when I unlock the doors. Also used the key in the door to try to close open/close the sunroof but still no response. Did I blow the sunroof fuse? Will check in the morning. Any ideas on how I messed up? Thanks!
Old 04-24-12, 08:31 AM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP,

Do you own both versions of the nav software or did you download it from somewhere?

Last edited by DaveGS4; 04-24-12 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-24-12, 11:16 AM
lchan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikes rx
OP,

Do you own both versions of the nav software or did you download it from somewhere?
Downloaded the software. Initialized the moonroof and it's working fine now. However, battery died again and needed another jump. Hopefully, electrical is fine and battery replacement will be a sufficient fix. Concerned about potential electrical issue that may continue to drain battery.