IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 to ///m3(e46)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-12, 12:25 PM
AmirLexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool IS250 to ///m3(e46)

So its been a while since I've been thinking of this but i think i might start using my IS250 as a daily and buy a ///M3 vert for those nice days. I know this might be the wrong place to start but I've seen a lot of members on here convert from the M3 to an IS and not the other way around.

I haven't seen much people go from an IS to an M. What are your guys thoughts on this? I feel like i have little to none maintenance on the IS (Tires, oil, spark plugs etc etc. ) but when it comes to the M my best friend will become my AMEX card.

im a 22 year old College student. Nd cars are a hobby of mine. This is what i want to buy!
Would love some unbiased comments/opinions.
Attached Thumbnails IS250 to ///m3(e46)-dsc_2910-1.jpg  

Last edited by AmirLexus; 04-25-12 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-25-12, 12:36 PM
CarbonDtls
Lead Lap

22 in college and can afford 2 luxury cars? I know I did something wrong in life.
Old 04-25-12, 12:37 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

not really a fan of Verts. Coupé or nothing
Old 04-25-12, 12:38 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nemoj amire....bmw ima puno skap maintanance!
Old 04-25-12, 12:55 PM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I have a lot of friends with Bims and Ms

a lot of friends, have headaches with their cars. I'm not sayin, but I'm sayin

If you're willing to throw it all on the Amex, then more power to you. I prefer not having to worry maint as least as possible
Old 04-25-12, 01:06 PM
AmirLexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by CarbonDtls
22 in college and can afford 2 luxury cars? I know I did something wrong in life.
lol

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
not really a fan of Verts. Coupé or nothing
I think the reason I'm pushed more towards the vert is because of all the open space that i don't get from the IS. Sometimes i feel like that IS should be a 2 seater....
Old 04-25-12, 01:20 PM
Uda880
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you read the threads on why people go from M3 to IS? You're looking at at least double the maintenance costs. From plastics breaking, replacement bushings, cracking coolant hoses/tanks to valve adjustments (for $1200 with Inspection 2) - you're looking at a lot of money.

You're still a student taking on a lot of debt. Good luck on that.

Links:

Valve Adjustment Pricing: http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=627754
Everything else: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=E46+M3+Maintenance+and+reliability
Old 04-25-12, 01:21 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There's no new news here. You're going to be facing a long road of expensive maintenance and repair bills on the M3. There's really no way around that. Even if you're an experienced mechanic/DIYer you're still going to have to pay high prices for BMW parts.

I'm unclear why you have a 250 if you want an M3. Why don't you have a 350? It's the same car at the 250, has the same low maintenance requirements and exceptional reliability, but with 100 more HP and a 0-60 that's in line with the M3. And you can get a newer, lower mileage IS350 for the same price as a used higher mileage, older M3.

I know there are other factors here - the look, the feel, the brand, etc. I love the look and feel of the M3 as well. But I took a more realistic approach to it - if I'm going to own this car for a long time and incur the costs, do I want an M3 that will provide potentially a "better" driving experience than an IS350 at the cost of higher maintenance and repair bills, having an older and higher mileage car, and dealing with the headaches of it being in and out of the shop? Or do I want the IS350 which will be a newer, better-equipped car with lower miles, have much lower maintenance costs and be much more reliable, and will still be extremely fun to drive?
Old 04-25-12, 01:29 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice M3, i would have personally sold my IS250 and just bought an IS350 though. Plenty of power in the 350 and no reason to have 2 cars - double insurance payments, double car payments, etc. But everyone has their reasons for doing things...some people just like to have separate cars for daily vs fun drives to keep miles and wear down on the weekend car

22 year old college student with 2 cars though? Damn i wish i was that lucky when i was in college!
Old 04-25-12, 01:35 PM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Maintenance and repairs will be very high when it comes to a BMW and not a fan of convertible especially if it’s not a hard top.
I always said if I got Rid of my modified IS it would be AMG, M class or S class, but good luck on whatever decision u make.
I have 2 IS myself guess I should have gotten that M3 and a 2Is.
Old 04-25-12, 01:36 PM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Just get an IS350C. You can have everything you want in a single car.
Old 04-25-12, 01:43 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by AmirLexus
I think the reason I'm pushed more towards the vert is because of all the open space that i don't get from the IS. Sometimes i feel like that IS should be a 2 seater....
its a 4-door coupe dontcha know
Old 04-25-12, 01:43 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

looking at the pic, they have palm trees/hibiscus in NJ??? That pic looks like it was taken here (hawaii)
Old 04-25-12, 01:50 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Well im not hating on bmw since i owned one before and still miss it. I had the E46 M3 was a great car to drive. The four years i owned it i never had a real problem with it at 55k when traded in. All i did was brakes,oil, tires and valve adjustments. Other than that i didnt have to put anymore money into it. Traded in cause i wanted a four door. But im not a fan of the vert.
Old 04-25-12, 02:00 PM
AmirLexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Nice M3, i would have personally sold my IS250 and just bought an IS350 though. Plenty of power in the 350 and no reason to have 2 cars - double insurance payments, double car payments, etc. But everyone has their reasons for doing things...some people just like to have separate cars for daily vs fun drives to keep miles and wear down on the weekend car

22 year old college student with 2 cars though? Damn i wish i was that lucky when i was in college!
I guess it pays to do well in High School

Originally Posted by calvin2376
There's no new news here. You're going to be facing a long road of expensive maintenance and repair bills on the M3. There's really no way around that. Even if you're an experienced mechanic/DIYer you're still going to have to pay high prices for BMW parts.

I'm unclear why you have a 250 if you want an M3. Why don't you have a 350? It's the same car at the 250, has the same low maintenance requirements and exceptional reliability, but with 100 more HP and a 0-60 that's in line with the M3. And you can get a newer, lower mileage IS350 for the same price as a used higher mileage, older M3.

I know there are other factors here - the look, the feel, the brand, etc. I love the look and feel of the M3 as well. But I took a more realistic approach to it - if I'm going to own this car for a long time and incur the costs, do I want an M3 that will provide potentially a "better" driving experience than an IS350 at the cost of higher maintenance and repair bills, having an older and higher mileage car, and dealing with the headaches of it being in and out of the shop? Or do I want the IS350 which will be a newer, better-equipped car with lower miles, have much lower maintenance costs and be much more reliable, and will still be extremely fun to drive?
I know it might kill me but i feel like the only people that talk about all the problems with the ///m are tho ones that never owned one. I will deff take this into consideration.

Originally Posted by Uda880
Have you read the threads on why people go from M3 to IS? You're looking at at least double the maintenance costs. From plastics breaking, replacement bushings, cracking coolant hoses/tanks to valve adjustments (for $1200 with Inspection 2) - you're looking at a lot of money.

You're still a student taking on a lot of debt. Good luck on that.

Links:

Valve Adjustment Pricing: http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=627754
Everything else: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=E46+M3+Maintenance+and+reliability
Yes i accounted for most of this

Originally Posted by juvi22003
Maintenance and repairs will be very high when it comes to a BMW and not a fan of convertible especially if it’s not a hard top.
I always said if I got Rid of my modified IS it would be AMG, M class or S class, but good luck on whatever decision u make.
I have 2 IS myself guess I should have gotten that M3 and a 2Is.
Thank you

Originally Posted by greg0126
Just get an IS350C. You can have everything you want in a single car.
NO WAY. I have no idea why but i think lexus completely messed up with the design of the vert. IMHO

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
its a 4-door coupe dontcha know

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
looking at the pic, they have palm trees/hibiscus in NJ??? That pic looks like it was taken here (hawaii)
This car was actually from hawaii. This is the one of the cars I'm (thinking) about purchasing in the near future.

Last edited by AmirLexus; 04-25-12 at 02:06 PM.

Quick Reply: IS250 to ///m3(e46)