IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Spark Plugs replaced, CEL, VSC on !

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-12, 12:30 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Spark Plugs replaced, CEL, VSC on !

2007 IS350 replaced plugs with oe Denso plugs & cleaned T/B. Started engine & CEL on + display says to CHECK VSC. Disconnected battery for 20 minutes, reconnected & lights still on. Car drives normally for week now but lights still on. Now What ?? Searched this subject & read many people run in to this but no solutions posted.
Old 04-26-12, 12:48 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

First thing you need to do is pull the codes. If you're at a point where you're ambitious/skilled enough to replace spark plugs, you should have an OBDII scanner. They're only $30-40 on Amazon. I'd recommend going to Autozone (or equivalent) or an independent shop for them to read the codes for you, but you may not want to drive the car if there are problems.

In any case, before anyone can help you need to get the codes since it could be any number of things.
Old 04-26-12, 01:22 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

I have scanners for my older modified cars I maintain but they are brand specific & don't work for Lexus. I bought the Lexus for my wife so I don't have to waste time repairing it. It runs better now with new sparkplugs so I just want to clear the warning lights but I don't think Auto Zone does that.
Old 04-26-12, 01:24 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If you disconnected the battery and the lights are still on then the cause of them still exists.

Clearing the code won't fix the problem.

Fixing the problem will fix the problem.
Old 04-26-12, 02:56 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ What Kurtz said. If they came back after disconnecting the battery, then you're not going to clear the warning lights until you fix the problem. I'd again advise getting the codes read as short of taking it to the shop or dealer, that's the only thing that will remotely shed light on which of the many possible problems you're experiencing.
Old 04-26-12, 03:51 PM
UtoyZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when i did my spark plugs i removed a lot of harness, did you make sure you plugged everything back in and in the right positions?
Old 04-26-12, 10:14 PM
TTechLexus
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem right now

went to autozone and i got the code P2017

intake manifold runner position sensor circuit

I've checked the connections several times but to no avail

I tried disconnecting the battery, resetting the ECU and having autozone try to clear the codes but they don't go away.

Any ideas?

The car runs fine, used OEM plugs.
Old 04-26-12, 10:31 PM
GSE21tuner
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you sever the vsc plug in the process? That could be the cause.
Old 04-27-12, 04:29 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by GSE21tuner
Did you sever the vsc plug in the process? That could be the cause.
There is no vsc plug. The "Check VSC" indication is shown because the car automatically disables traction and stability control when the check engine light is on.

As others have said, it's silly to make wild guesses at the problem - buy a code scanner or bring the car to autozone and have the codes read for free.
Old 04-27-12, 11:40 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TTechLexus
I have the same problem right now

went to autozone and i got the code P2017

intake manifold runner position sensor circuit

I've checked the connections several times but to no avail

I tried disconnecting the battery, resetting the ECU and having autozone try to clear the codes but they don't go away.

Any ideas?

The car runs fine, used OEM plugs.
Yeah it seems many people have this problem after a simple plug change, it sounds like you removed the intake, do you have IS250 or 350? Anyone know where the intake manifold runner position sensor is located? I have a IS350 & didn't remove intake manifold.
Old 04-27-12, 02:15 PM
TTechLexus
Lead Lap

I have a 250 and I did have to take off the manifold. Going to check over every connection once more.

I've been reading that it's usually that and some people have gone a couple days before the lights turn off.
Old 04-27-12, 08:28 PM
Deathrow23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i had this same issue, i just removed and replugged all wires that i originally removed. even after doing that the light was still on for about a day. funny thing is that right after i purchased a code reader at Sears after the 3rd day, about 2 minutes after leaving Sears the light went off and has been off since. LOL...
Old 04-27-12, 11:59 PM
BokCh0y
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had the dealership replace my plugs - 06 IS350, 60k for mileage.

Drove it for 2k and then CEL and VSC light. Everyone is correct about the VSC Light and error, when car picsk up prob, it disables TC and then the VSC comes on.

Anyways, pulled the code - P0300 - Random Misfire. Took the car back, they scanned adn that was the only code that came up, they could not reproduce the error. Computer scan came up that it only happened once and did not happen again. They said could be attributed to bad fuel or addititives. Reset the code and has been cool since.

Hope that's all it is for you as well. if tehre are probs with specific cylinders for mis-fire, code will be P0301-P0306 for each cylinder.

I would have the code pulled and check this out, code be a bad coil on one of the cylinders.

Good luck.
Old 04-30-12, 10:48 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BokCh0y
Just had the dealership replace my plugs - 06 IS350, 60k for mileage.

Drove it for 2k and then CEL and VSC light. Everyone is correct about the VSC Light and error, when car picsk up prob, it disables TC and then the VSC comes on.

Anyways, pulled the code - P0300 - Random Misfire. Took the car back, they scanned adn that was the only code that came up, they could not reproduce the error. Computer scan came up that it only happened once and did not happen again. They said could be attributed to bad fuel or addititives. Reset the code and has been cool since.

Hope that's all it is for you as well. if tehre are probs with specific cylinders for mis-fire, code will be P0301-P0306 for each cylinder.

I would have the code pulled and check this out, code be a bad coil on one of the cylinders.

Good luck.
Thanks, I cleaned the T/B with lots of brake clean & engine ran rough when 1st started so that's probablly what I have but it's been a week & I thought the CEL would go off by now.
Old 04-30-12, 06:26 PM
TTechLexus
Lead Lap

Byprodrive,

This was my problem, I didn't notice because it was in the back of the manifold. Ooops next time I wont rush

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs replaced, CEL, VSC on !