IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Help Headlight Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-12, 05:09 PM
snoopin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Headlight Issue

I can't seem to find the problem. My left headlight goes on for a second and goes right out. I replace the ballast then one off of ebay. I switch bulbs and looks for the fuse around the engine but doesn't look burnt. So what can else be the issue cause I don't want to take it into the stealership...

Yes, I did used the search function but everyone did was replace the ballast and it work or the bulb. Unless I got the wrong ballast but it looks the same to me. This is for the IS 250 07
Old 04-28-12, 06:41 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

99% of the time, it's the bulb. Put the old ballast back and try new bulb.
Old 04-28-12, 07:04 PM
flyfl1pguy

This also happened to me.
Light turns on and goes right out. Didnt want to change ballast first as it is expensive.
What I did was i switched the good bulb and put it on the bad side.
If the bulb stays on then the bulb is bad.
If the bulb turns off then your going to need a new ballast.

Good luck!
Old 04-28-12, 07:27 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Originally Posted by flyfl1pguy
This also happened to me.
Light turns on and goes right out. Didnt want to change ballast first as it is expensive.
What I did was i switched the good bulb and put it on the bad side.
If the bulb stays on then the bulb is bad.
If the bulb turns off then your going to need a new ballast.

Good luck!
Not true. Chances are both bulbs could be bad since they're the same age. That was my case. I replaced BOTH bulbs at the same time... Problem solved.
Old 04-28-12, 08:11 PM
snoopin
Driver School Candidate

Hmm... I had two older bulbs which I had on my old car they are pretty new only had these bulbs for about less than a year. I switch out with these bubls and it did the same problem.. It will go on for a couple of seconds and go out. Unless I should get a brand new ballast but can't find anywhere that will sell the ballast itself.
Old 04-28-12, 08:20 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

It sounds like one of those problems that could be expensive to diagnose at the dealer but potentially simple fix (or vise-versatile). Those are the worst kind.
Old 04-28-12, 08:32 PM
snoopin
Driver School Candidate

Oh man... You think some of these independent auto shops will know how to fix it. Some on told me that I bought a bad ballast off of ebay. Damn ebay sellers....
Old 04-28-12, 10:51 PM
Shervin350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bulb, i try new philips bulb and they still went out i try the toshiba light and they working great
Old 04-28-12, 11:24 PM
Iceman5210
Pole Position

get some Garax i had them for about a year now and very happy with them,if its the bulb . G luck.
Old 04-29-12, 09:14 AM
flyfl1pguy

If you solve your problem make sure to keep us updated
Old 04-29-12, 10:13 AM
snoopin
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your helps truely appreicate it... I figure out the problem. I got the wrong bulb when I test it. I had the DS4 which our cars used DS2... =/
Old 04-29-12, 10:48 AM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought our cars used DS4 bulbs
Old 04-29-12, 11:56 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

Received 613 Likes on 406 Posts

It is probably the bulb (2IS uses D4S bulbs, not D2S bulbs), but it could be the ballast.

If it is happening consistently, you can swap bulbs left and right and see if the problem follows the bulb, if it does, it's the bulb, if it doesn't it's the ballast.

Originally Posted by Lexus HID inspection procedure (from Repair Manual)

INSPECT DISCHARGE HEADLIGHT BULB

Confirm the following items before replacing a discharge headlight bulb. If a malfunction is discovered and repaired, perform the inspection again to confirm the repair.
  • Make sure that the high voltage socket of the light control ECU and discharge headlight bulb are connected normally.
  • Make sure that there is no damage to the high voltage socket of the light control ECU or discharge headlight bulb connector.

HINT: Even if a bulb seems to turn on normally, it may not be normal. Perform all the following steps in order because an abnormal condition might otherwise not be easy to duplicate.

Prepare the vehicle: Before performing the following inspection procedure, turn off the discharge headlight bulbs for more than 10 minutes to allow them to cool down sufficiently.

HINT: Since it is necessary to find the cause of a malfunction that causes a discharge headlight bulb not to turn on, the discharge headlight bulbs should be inspected starting from a cooled off state.
  1. Turn on the discharge headlights for more than 25 minutes, and check that the bulbs illuminate normally when they are turned on.

HINT:
    • Leave the headlights on for more than 25 minutes to stabilize the discharge headlight bulb arc tube voltage.
    • A discharge headlight bulb that has almost reached the end of its life may turn off due to a headlight control ECU fail-safe function because the arc tube voltage is high.

2. Repeatedly turn the discharge headlights off for 15 seconds and on for 15 seconds (5 times for each). Check that the bulbs illuminate normally.

HINT: This inspection confirms the ability of the bulbs to start when hot.

3. Turn off the discharge headlights for 3 minutes, and then turn on the discharge headlights for 3 minutes. Check that the bulbs illuminate normally when they are turned on.

HINT:
    • A characteristic of discharge headlight bulbs is that their starting voltage is highest when 3 minutes have elapsed after being turned off. This is the most difficult situation for discharge bulbs to start in.
    • This inspection is further confirmation of the ability of the bulbs to start when hot.

Standard: The discharge headlight bulbs illuminate normally in all steps.

4. Remove the discharge headlight bulb and perform a visual inspection of the arc tube.

Standard: The inside of the arc tube is not bulging or deformed and is not clouded. However, a dull brown coloration inside the arc tube is normal.

Text in Illustration
    • *A Normal Discharge Headlight Bulb
    • *B Discharge Headlight Bulb at End of Usable Life
    • *1 Arc Tube
    • Inside of Arc Tube
    • Distortion / Clouded Area
Jeff
Old 04-29-12, 01:10 PM
mbeach
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased new bulbs, one ballast and one ignitor from an ebay seller: xenon depot (some Chinese guy named "Sword"). I figured I was pretty much tossing my money out the window ($145), but I took a chance.
Got the new stuff in 3 days (!), and it worked like a charm.

Mercedes dealer wanted over $950 for the same parts. All OEM spec, new and good stuff.

If you get to the bottom of your problem, might try looking them up.