IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

thoughts on repairs??

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-12, 10:44 PM
colby2330
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thoughts on repairs??

Hi everyone! Im new to Cl and figured you all might be able to help me with this one. I bought a 2006 is250 AWD last monday from a small used car dealer here where i live. It has 73xxx miles on it. I paid 17500 for it. It was one owner, serviced all the time at the local lexus dealer so i figured it was a great buy. I absolutely love the car, but there is a problem. When i brought it to lexus on friday for an oil change, they told me that the exact same car was in only 2 weeks earlier to get checked out. They said the person was interested in buying the car and wanted it looked at before. Then they gave me the list of work that the car needs according to lexus. This is what the paper says:

water pump is leaking $850
right tie rod boot is torn, no grease left $250
battery tests low $175
spark plugs due for replacement $480
rear differential leaking $750
cv shafts leaking both rears $2300
y pipe in exhaust has thin spots, may start to leak soon
tires are newer but loud
breaks fine
front of car is new (hood, fenders) and has been repainted

so i called the dealer that i bought the car at and after some bickering back and forth he agreed to fix everything at his cost because he knew of the issues before selling me the car and didn't tell me. But some people I've talked to said even if he does fix those things its still not a good idea to keep the car because they are things that will cause other things to go wrong down the road. My question is what do you think? Should i keep the car if he pays to have all those things repaired? Or should i try to get my money back on the car? Thank you everybody for your help!
Old 04-28-12, 11:06 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With all those things wrong, If I were you, i'd return the car back to them (if that's an option)

Sounds like the car wasn't really taken care of and it may have been in an accident that's being hidden.

Sounds pretty shady to me if he sold it knowing all those things were wrong with it.
This btw, is the reason it's always a good idea to get a used car inspected before purchase
Old 04-28-12, 11:08 PM
fsport11jg
Rookie

I highly doubt the dealer is going to take the car back and refund all of your money.

Since the dealer knew about those problems and didn't inform you, I'm not sure I would trust them (esp as a small used car dealer) to fix the issues correctly.

If it were me I would take it to a reputable independent shop to get an estimate. I would then take that estimate to the dealer and try to get them to cover as many items as possible.

Keep in mind that even Lexus dealers will sell cars without pointing out every single issue, that responsibility falls on the buyer.

I can't speak to how replacing a water pump or rear differential correctly would lead to additional unforeseen problems.

Good luck.
Old 04-29-12, 06:23 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fsport11jg
I highly doubt the dealer is going to take the car back and refund all of your money.

Since the dealer knew about those problems and didn't inform you, I'm not sure I would trust them (esp as a small used car dealer) to fix the issues correctly.

If it were me I would take it to a reputable independent shop to get an estimate. I would then take that estimate to the dealer and try to get them to cover as many items as possible.

Keep in mind that even Lexus dealers will sell cars without pointing out every single issue, that responsibility falls on the buyer.

I can't speak to how replacing a water pump or rear differential correctly would lead to additional unforeseen problems.

Good luck.
I agree with you 100%, everything that is wrong on the car is regular wear and tear items.
Old 04-29-12, 08:46 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by B16da9
I agree with you 100%, everything that is wrong on the car is regular wear and tear items.
Replacing the entire front end is not a wear and tear problem.

If it was in an accident requiring that much repair, the dealer knew that, and did not report it, that's fraud... at least in most states.

I'd 100% for sure return the car for a full refund and find one that hadn't been wrecked. If the dealer isn't willing to do that I'd be calling a lawyer.

Then next time I'd spend a little $ to actually get a car inspected before purchasing it :P

Edit- Ok found the relevant law for MA-

http://www.mass.gov/ocabr/consumer/a...ranty-law.html

Ok, if it didn't pass state inspection within 7 days of purchase and needs those repairs you list you can get a full refund within 14 days.

Otherwise, it comes with a state-required warranty for 60 days or 2500 miles which would fix anything non-cosmetic (details in the link)

Oddly, you can get a full refund within 30 days for failure to disclose known problems from a private party, but not a dealer.... the dealer he just has to fix the car unless it fails the inspection.

Last edited by Kurtz; 04-29-12 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-29-12, 10:16 AM
birador
Lead Lap

if you have an option to return the car-RETURN it,it's not worth to fix that car,you gonna spend more that what is the value of the car.
Old 04-29-12, 10:44 AM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Return that ****, i think all those should have been fixed before the car went on the lot for sale....plus the dealer told you he knew about it and didnt say anything
Old 04-29-12, 04:08 PM
po1qw
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

simple return if possible hopefully you'll get your fees and taxes back too..