IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How much F-Sport parts do you need to earn an "F" badge?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-12, 08:53 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
F-Sport shouldn't be allowed on 250's. Just sayin'
why not? BMW has the M-Sport package for the 328i. and at least to me, M badge is more legendary and prestige than the newly found F badge.
Old 04-29-12, 09:25 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
why not? BMW has the M-Sport package for the 328i. and at least to me, M badge is more legendary and prestige than the newly found F badge.
204HP, enough said. Even the cheapest V6 Camry will smoke the IS250.

Last edited by TimboIS; 04-29-12 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-29-12, 09:29 AM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's your car. Slap the badge on it if you want. One on the fender, trunk, and passenger door if you want. No one will no know you have F parts on it or not.

But correct me if I'm wrong, the new 2011+ F-Sport packaged IS's, the fender badge is F-Sport and not "F" right?
Old 04-29-12, 10:47 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I think you might be confused about what the F-sport badge from Lexus really means.

The F-sport package on any Lexus doesn't add any power at all.

It's mostly an appearance and suspension/steering package.

(and in the case of the ISx50 said suspension isn't even new, it's mostly recycled from the old sport package)

Most deceptively though, it doesn't include any actual F-sport accessory parts, a few of which do add a little power.

But the F-sport option from Lexus has nothing to do with horsepower, and never did.

It's not used in the same way the M badge is on BMWs, nor even how SS was typically used on Chevys.
Old 04-29-12, 11:28 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
I think you might be confused about what the F-sport badge from Lexus really means.

(and in the case of the ISx50 said suspension isn't even new, it's mostly recycled from the old sport package)

Most deceptively though, it doesn't include any actual F-sport accessory parts, a few of which do add a little power.

But the F-sport option from Lexus has nothing to do with horsepower, and never did.

It's not used in the same way the M badge is on BMWs, nor even how SS was typically used on Chevys.
I know what F-Sport is ******. Just seems a waste putting all that stuff on a 250. The $$$ would have been better spent on a 350.
Old 04-29-12, 11:56 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"F Sport" stock package ($2440?) withOUT any F Sport part earns you two F Sport badges on both sides.

I added F Sport intake and exhaust and reward myself an extra F Sport badge on the rear trunk just for fun haha. I really like F Sport accessories.
Old 04-29-12, 12:06 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

I know what F-Sport is ******. Just seems a waste putting all that stuff on a 250. The $$$ would have been better spent on a 350.
I would offer another perspective on this. On performance wise, F Sport doesn't really add any significant horsepower so if we just judge it from "increased horsepower", it is waste of money on both 250 and 350.

For "improved sound", F Sport intake and exhaust is an excellent combination and it would sound almost identical to both 250 and 350. I believe this is one of the biggest reasons people put intake and exhaust on the 250 or 350.

For "better handling", F Sport sway bars is one of the best upgrades to BOTH 250 and 350 and I don't think this is waste of money as many have confirmed the improvement.

For "look" (which is more subjective measurement), I personally believe F Sport exhaust looks damn sick on BOTH 250 and 350. You could argue that there are other cheaper exhaust that offer same or even better look. I would say go for whatever you like because in the "look" department, whatever makes YOU happy is what it really counts.
Old 04-29-12, 12:11 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 609 Likes on 405 Posts

I added the badges to my car, but I'm not sure if I'll keep them, probably I guess. My car is a base model, and I held off on adding any badging until I felt that the car "deserved" it. I did the following before I ordered the badges:

Factory F-Sport Springs and Shocks
Factory F-Sport Upper & Lower Grilles
Factory F-Sport Front Lip Spoilers
F-Sport Accessory Sway Bars (Front and Rear)
F-Sport Accessory Quickshifter
Lexus T2 Torsen Limited Slip Differential with shorter final gearing (3.91)
Lexus Sport Pedal Set
Lexus 2012 IS HID/LED Headlights
Lexus 2011-12 IS F Electric Power Steering ECU
Lexus Accessory Rear Lip Spoiler
Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec Tires (245/45R17 all around)

After doing all of that, I felt that the car had enough to deserve the F-Sport badges. I'd still like to have the seats, black headliner and door sill plates, but overall my car performs better than a factory F-Sport car does, and it's a manual transmission to boot (F-Sport Package only comes on Auto). I might consider other wheels at some point (I'd like something OE-style in an 18-inch staggered setup), but I am not set on anything yet, the factory 17's with the larger tires all around look pretty damn good and handle amazingly.

So how many F-Sport parts do you need before you can earn the "F" badge? That's up to you.

Jeff
Old 04-29-12, 12:16 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kurtz

+1 on Kurtz, you know exactly what you are talking about! In addition. I think some people don't understand that some of us chose IS250 for luxury, appearance etc and NOT power. If anyone talks about power, Nissan GTR can smoke tons of car and still below 6 digit MSRP.
Old 04-29-12, 01:01 PM
RBnSD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The nicest thing about the dealer installed F-Sport Package is the aggressive front bumper. There are a few other accessories like the upgraded seats, F-Sport steering wheel, **** etc. But like previously mentioned, most of the performance accessories are still sold separately as optional. I'm building my car out right now with a lot of F-Sport components and I wouldn't feel like a poser in the least bit putting an F-Sport badge on the car.
Old 04-29-12, 01:06 PM
mbeach
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aznxenon
I guess OP was thinking something like DINAN, where you have to spent about 2.5k in order to earn the DINAN badge
Been there. I can tell you that it takes a lot of floormats, shift ***** and foot pedals to earn the Dinan badge.
Old 04-29-12, 01:40 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The HP for it is fine, since it's more for fuel economy. I've driven a 99 Camry Solara before it eventually died for 236K use over the time span, and it was a 3.0 V6 200 HP back in the day. I didn't realize that over the years that same Camry had gotten more powerful to like it is today.
Old 04-29-12, 02:18 PM
NastySnake
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is hilarious lol. Why do you care about a badge? Just do the appearance parts and leave it.

Your car didn't come from the factory with F sport package and will never be a F sport no matter what you do to it.

Don't be a poser.
Old 04-29-12, 02:28 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

only two cars should have the "F" badge:

1. LFA
2. IS-F

mind you, this is not to be confused with the "F-Sport" badge, which has been on the 2IS, now the 4GS, and soon the new RX.
Old 04-29-12, 02:38 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

F-Sport shouldn't be allowed on 250's. Just sayin'
Like Kurtz said, why does it matter? If it's a waste putting it on a 250, its a waste putting it on a 350 too. Especially since neither can have their ECU's tuned to get the true potential out of the mods. For most people, with the exhaust and intake, its about the sound improvement more than the performance improvement. All the other accessories are just visual or handling improvements.

And even if the cheapest V6 Camry will smoke the IS250 - it doesn't ride, handle or look as good as the IS250 does....so that comparison is silly. I'll let a V6 Camry smoke me anyday, at the end of the race it's still only a Camry

Quick Reply: How much F-Sport parts do you need to earn an "F" badge?