IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2009 IS 350 rattles

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-12, 06:46 PM
shawndover
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 IS 350 rattles

My 2009 IS 350 is nearing the end of the four-year warranty. Throughout the time I have owned it, it's had an incredibly irritating intermittent rattle that seems to come from the glovebox or the passenger side of the dash. It is worse in the summer than in the winter; it seems to get a little better when I push on the inside left side of the glovebox, but I'm not sure. I've taken the car to the dealer about this several times, but the service tech has never been able to replicate the problem. They also tell me that there are no TSB's for dash rattles on 2009 models or later.

I've searched the forum and seen plenty of posts about rattles, but nothing quite like this. Does anyone have any advice? I really wish I could get rid of this before the warranty expires.

Thanks.
Old 04-29-12, 07:04 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Sounds like the typical air filter housing rattle inside the glovebox. This has been a problem since the 2006's and lots should be on here about it. The dealer should make sure the pieces are attached all the way and he can also insulate the gaps with felt. I've taken mine to three different dealers for this and the last one finally got it right. Also keep in mind if a dealer has worked on this issue and not fixed it, you techincally have a 12 month warranty on the failed work.
If it's not that, maybe someone else knows of another glovebox rattle issue. I also have a rattle coming from the upper area of my passenger door, before the window starts. About to have that looked into next. If I press on it, it goes away. The sound was similar to the glovebox rattle and it took about two years to figure out they were two different things.
Old 04-29-12, 07:12 PM
shawndover
Rookie

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Sounds like the typical air filter housing rattle inside the glovebox. This has been a problem since the 2006's and lots should be on here about it. The dealer should make sure the pieces are attached all the way and he can also insulate the gaps with felt. I've taken mine to three different dealers for this and the last one finally got it right. Also keep in mind if a dealer has worked on this issue and not fixed it, you techincally have a 12 month warranty on the failed work.
If it's not that, maybe someone else knows of another glovebox rattle issue. I also have a rattle coming from the upper area of my passenger door, before the window starts. About to have that looked into next. If I press on it, it goes away. The sound was similar to the glovebox rattle and it took about two years to figure out they were two different things.
Thanks. Does anyone have the TSB for this?
Old 04-29-12, 08:54 PM
Traxxer
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2009 IS250 has been having rattling problems as well. I've taken it to the dealer about 3-4 times - It's at the dealer now for that issue. The sound that comes from my car sounds more like creaking that comes from the center vents/dash. The last time I took it it they told me that there were some loose clips but nothing got fixed so I had to taken it in again. Mine also happens when it's hot.

You should have the dealer park your car outside so that it's exposed to the sun before they start to work on it. I know that where I go they park it underground so when it comes time to check the car for symptoms they don't hear anything because the car is cool. To be honest with you, I think that taking my car in has made the issue worse...
Old 04-29-12, 09:17 PM
Hoac
Pole Position

My '11 rattles everywhere too. They all do!

If your under some sort of warranty the dealer should fix the rattle and add insulation for free.

If not i'm sure they would still do it!