Traffic Ticket Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-12, 07:17 PM
Jimmy06AWD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Traffic Ticket Advice

Case Dismissed. Delete Thread.

Last edited by Jimmy06AWD; 06-06-12 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-01-12, 07:20 PM
gemini1
FNM President

Every state is different when it comes to fighting citation's. Just show up and state your case to the judge.
Old 05-01-12, 07:24 PM
Dr3wSaL
Driver

Our family has a friend who is a judge and has to dismiss cases regularly for this reason: In Washington, I've gotten off a few different tickets by filing for a "discovery" which requires the DA's office to send you all evidence that can be used against you in your case. You have to file for it two weeks before your court date, and if you do not receive it before then the case will be dismissed.

One of the times I actually received it and still went in and said I hadn't, the prosecutor had no evidence that he sent it to me so it got dropped.

Not sure where you are from but you may want to look into it.
Old 05-01-12, 08:37 PM
Jimmy06AWD
Rookie

^ - Thanks. I wasn't aware of that. I'll see if that's something they do here.
Old 05-01-12, 08:58 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You could get legal advise if you want a pay a lawyer for some, but most people would rather just pay the fine. If I were you, i'd just go to court and plead my defense as well as possible. If the judge still finds you guilty, ask for a reduced fine and traffic school (if it's a point on your license).

Originally Posted by Jimmy06AWD
In the 15 mins it's taking him to write me up, he isn't pulling over the other cars that are clearly over the line. I ask him why I'm the only one getting ticketed. He tells me he can't get everyone. What an a-hole.
Big mistake. Don't sit there and question the cop with questions like that next time. You'll only **** him/her off and guarantee yourself getting a ticket instead of a warning. It does suck that you're the only one getting ticketed, but its true...he/she can't pull everyone over...unfortunately, you were the one the cop choose to make an example out of.
Old 05-01-12, 09:56 PM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

I would just show up to court and plead your case to the judge. Even if you are found guilty, you can ask for a reduced fine because you took time off from work etc to attend court. Good luck.
Old 05-01-12, 10:07 PM
cdtran2
Rookie

Whatever you do, just make sure you try and contest it. There's not point in just paying it when it could be reduced or dismissed. First thing you should do is determine if its something that would show up on your driving record for insurance. I'm guessing it won't, but just check anyways to make sure. If you're offered a pre-hearing settlement conference, I generally wave that and go straight to trial. The thing to remember is there is a specific time for everything. Do your research on the laws in your area and make sure you file your subpoena's on time. If you do any they don't respond to you in a timely manner, thats grounds for dismissal. In your case, I would also probably subpoena the cop. If he doesn't show up, thats an easy dismissal as well. Depending on your area, you may also be able to reschedule the hearing date over the phone as well, which is what I would do at the very last minute or right after you submit the subpoena request. Basically, just play with the system as much as you can...Also, when you go to court, dress the part, don't wear jeans and a t-shirt and expect to receive anything.
Old 05-02-12, 08:39 PM
kingster
Pole Position

If officer was already writing ticket, I find nothing wrong when you asked officer about other drivers blocking driveway also. I refuse to be intimidated by a person wearing a batch!!
Should this ticket be considered a parking violation because you were blocking or obstructing an exit/entrance? Find out first and don't stress out.
It sounds to me that this is a very congested street. If there is really not much a driver/s can do when other cars stop ahead and therefore, block this fire station's driveway, you may have a pretty good case in court. Go out some day and take pictures/video when cars have no choice but to block this driveway. I will understand if there are lights going off an on when emergency vehicles got to exit to attend an emergency.

Good luck
Old 05-03-12, 05:09 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cdtran2
Whatever you do, just make sure you try and contest it. There's not point in just paying it when it could be reduced or dismissed. First thing you should do is determine if its something that would show up on your driving record for insurance. I'm guessing it won't, but just check anyways to make sure. If you're offered a pre-hearing settlement conference, I generally wave that and go straight to trial. The thing to remember is there is a specific time for everything. Do your research on the laws in your area and make sure you file your subpoena's on time. If you do any they don't respond to you in a timely manner, thats grounds for dismissal. In your case, I would also probably subpoena the cop. If he doesn't show up, thats an easy dismissal as well. Depending on your area, you may also be able to reschedule the hearing date over the phone as well, which is what I would do at the very last minute or right after you submit the subpoena request. Basically, just play with the system as much as you can...Also, when you go to court, dress the part, don't wear jeans and a t-shirt and expect to receive anything.
I'm not sure if your state would offer pre-hearing conferences, or the ability to issue a subpoena for a moving violation. Take pictures of the firehouse driveway, and print them a large, and mark to show where you were stopped, and where the end of the drive way is. Look like you are prepared. Don't just go in there and expect the "It's not fair" defense to work.