IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Help with stripping paint off wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-12, 01:03 AM
takadakeyo
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with stripping paint off wheels?

Hello,
I have a set of wheels that are black with a 4" polished lip. They come black and wasnt spray painted or powder coated. I saw many videos of stripping paint off wheels, but most seem to be spray painted and also does the whole wheel. I would think getting it on the lip wouldnt be good, but idk. I prefer sliver wheels~ just personal preference.

Does anyone know more about going about this? I could also go to a shop and pay to get it done, but I want to save money. The wheels are just sitting around, might as well try do it.

So I was wondering, it I in fact could strip the wheel manufacturers paint off with canned paint stripper from home depot or something? Also is it ok for it to touch the polished lip or should I tape it off? And last but not least, since I'm stripping the paint off to pretty much the metal, will I need to spray a coat of clear to protect the wheel from rust?
Old 05-03-12, 06:53 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

First off, I wouldn't do this myself if I really wanted the wheels in my car and look nice. I assume it's a one piece wheel and you can't seperate the polished lip? You'd have to strip it and I wouldn't want to get any on the polished section, primer, paint, clear it. All without touching the polished section. I personally would have a wheel repair shop do it but I'm guessing it'll cost $125-$150 per wheel.
Old 05-03-12, 09:15 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

definitely let the professionals handle this if you don't know what you're doing.

all it takes is a lapse in preparation, or even a slight of hand, and you'll still end up taking your wheels to a wheel refinishing shop because of that.
Old 05-03-12, 09:19 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Search google - there is a great DIY written on HondaTech.com. Its a fairly painless process just takes loads of time to DIY!
Old 05-03-12, 09:23 AM
Jzsicklexi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used this stuff to strip paint off my wheels. Even after that I had to wetsand and polish them to get them to look decent. Still they wouldnt match your high polished lips if you did them by hand. And yes you'd have to spray clear over them. This paint stripper is hardcore, I got it on my legs and it burned bad haha. I'm not sure if masking off the lips would keep it from eating thru that.

Old 05-03-12, 09:45 AM
takadakeyo
Rookie

First off, I wouldn't do this myself if I really wanted the wheels in my car and look nice. I assume it's a one piece wheel and you can't seperate the polished lip? You'd have to strip it and I wouldn't want to get any on the polished section, primer, paint, clear it. All without touching the polished section. I personally would have a wheel repair shop do it but I'm guessing it'll cost $125-$150 per wheel.
The main reason why I dont want to take it to a shop is because these are just laying around, the cost to get it done professionally would be double what I paid for the wheels. So might as well try~ a little project.

I used this stuff to strip paint off my wheels. Even after that I had to wetsand and polish them to get them to look decent. Still they wouldnt match your high polished lips if you did them by hand. And yes you'd have to spray clear over them. This paint stripper is hardcore, I got it on my legs and it burned bad haha. I'm not sure if masking off the lips would keep it from eating thru that.
Yeah I have seen that on most DIY how-tos. I dont wish to get them to looked polish like the lip, more like sliver with the polish lip. And I was thinking the same thing, I think even layering on the tape might still go threw, since you have to let it sit.

Also I don't think they are multi piece wheels but it does have tiny rivets. Would it be ok to let the paint stripper hit that?
Old 05-03-12, 09:55 AM
Jzsicklexi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by takadakeyo
The main reason why I dont want to take it to a shop is because these are just laying around, the cost to get it done professionally would be double what I paid for the wheels. So might as well try~ a little project.

Yeah I have seen that on most DIY how-tos. I dont wish to get them to looked polish like the lip, more like sliver with the polish lip. And I was thinking the same thing, I think even layering on the tape might still go threw, since you have to let it sit.

Also I don't think they are multi piece wheels but it does have tiny rivets. Would it be ok to let the paint stripper hit that?
Why not just paint them silver?
Old 05-03-12, 10:03 AM
takadakeyo
Rookie

Why not just paint them silver?
Mostly because I want it to look like metal. like this

I played around with many different sliver spray paints before but it didnt look like that.