IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

p0430 and vsc

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-12, 05:49 AM
jdmnysee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default p0430 and vsc

New to this forum......just got my 06 is250 awd yesterday, and now i got a cel and check vsc......
code is p0430, and did some research and seem to be getting mixed answers, range from o2, to tranny problems, to cats or exhaust leak....
car still seems to be driving fine.....the only thing that concerns me is that one thread that i read where the tranny was going, cause after i drive and put into park, and release my foot off the brake, i hear a loud click from under the car.....but over all the car seems to be driving fine.....

please help
Old 05-03-12, 07:22 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not sure what you're reading, but I don't see anything about transmissions here: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0430

Seems to be either an O2, cat, or exhaust leak problem. Don't see any connection with the transmission but I could be wrong.

Also, some of those components are covered by the federal emissions warranty, which covers some parts up to 8 years/80k miles (this includes the cats). Info on that should be in your Scheduled Maintenance Guide or Owner's Manual.

You say you just bought it yesterday? Where'd you buy it from? Most every dealer - either Lexus or not - sells used cars with a 30 day / 3000 mile limited warranty or something similar. Take it back and say you got the CEL immediately after driving off the lot.
Old 05-03-12, 08:40 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Most likely culprit is the post-cat oxygen sensor, which unfortunately is not covered by emissions warranty.
Old 05-03-12, 11:31 AM
jdmnysee
Driver School Candidate

i bought it off some used car lot.......im going back saturday to have them take a look at it.....i agree with you on the tranny part, but there was a thread i saw with something about the tranny gone.....weird thing is the car drives fine....car has 87k....was kind of scared to buy this car with all the reviews about recall this, recall that, but i saw one for a good price and took the chance, really love how the car handles and looks.....so far i found out that i have the dash noise, which i think ill buy the noise kit and take the dash off to fix myself, and sunroof wont close...always goes 3/4 then opens again.......trying to do more research, but seems like i might need to reset it? maybe the dealer was trying to pull a quick one, saw this check engine light, unplugged the battery, reset the light, and now the sunroof needs to be reset? i cant find any info on how to reset the sunroof

thank you all for the help
Old 05-03-12, 11:41 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmnysee
i bought it off some used car lot.......im going back saturday to have them take a look at it.....i agree with you on the tranny part, but there was a thread i saw with something about the tranny gone.....weird thing is the car drives fine....car has 87k....was kind of scared to buy this car with all the reviews about recall this, recall that, but i saw one for a good price and took the chance, really love how the car handles and looks.....so far i found out that i have the dash noise, which i think ill buy the noise kit and take the dash off to fix myself, and sunroof wont close...always goes 3/4 then opens again.......trying to do more research, but seems like i might need to reset it? maybe the dealer was trying to pull a quick one, saw this check engine light, unplugged the battery, reset the light, and now the sunroof needs to be reset? i cant find any info on how to reset the sunroof

thank you all for the help
You're right on the money.

Here are multiple threads showing that your sunroof just needs to be reset, instructions are in your Owner's Manual:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...50-issues.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...roof-help.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-properly.html

Why would it need to be reset? You can be 99% certain it's because the dealer did exactly what you said - saw the CEL, disconnected the battery and reconnected, hoping it wouldn't come back before he could sell it.

This is exactly why it's so important to do your homework and get a pre-purchase inspection.

If I were you I'd go back to the dealer and tell them they need to fix the CEL issue otherwise you'll file complaints and potentially pursue legal options (even if this isn't true) given that you have extremely strong evidence that they knew of the issue and erased the codes to sell the car. Clearly they wouldn't have let a car sit out for more than a few hours with a half-open sunroof, so they had to have erased the codes very shortly before you came to see the car.

Also, the dash rattle is not a minor undertaking. I hope you've read up on the forums on what's involved in actually removing the dash.

Did you read your documents from the dealer? Do they offer a limited warranty for shortly after sale? Every used dealer I've ever used or dealt with has had a limited warranty (maybe 50% parts/labor) for at least 1-3k miles after purchase.
Old 05-03-12, 12:27 PM
jdmnysee
Driver School Candidate

i thought that if you unplug the battery, you would need to reset the sunroof?
my friend owns a shop, so i hope they can remove the dash somewhat easy......
thanks for the owners manual, cause of course a dealership like this would have it in the car ; /
im going back saturday, hopping they will take care of it all, but if they already are trying to pull a fast one like this, i rather come with them with the problems, know what the fix is, and be like give me $$$ to fix and ill leave you guys alone.....

thanks once again

btw, hear about anything about a clicking noise..... after u park, then e-brake, and while you release your foot off the regular brake, *CLICK* sounds like the tranny from under the car.....and the car is not on a hill, and e-brake all the way down, so no load on the tranny........
Old 05-04-12, 06:19 AM
jdmnysee
Driver School Candidate

*update*
just ran out of gas, added new gas, drove for about 5 miles, lights are off....im guessing bad gas/o2/exhaust leak....ill put it on a lift tomorrow....

Thanks guys