IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New 19in rims and tires with rubbing. Need some experianced advice.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-12, 10:22 AM
ajochums
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 19in rims and tires with rubbing. Need some experianced advice.

Just had my new 19in Vossen CV1s mounted over the weekend. (Specs are 8.5 in the front and 10 in the rear. Offsets are 32mm and 38mm) They are shod in Michelin Pilot Sport (all-season cause I needed the treadwear) in 235-35 in the front and 275-30 in the rear as I wanted some good meat on them and had seen that as a recommended size from others here on the forum.

Frankly the rims stick out a little further than I was expecting. Same offsets as everyone else so it must just be my eye. Right now I am on the stock suspension and really wanted to keep it that way for the better ride as I drive too much to have the stiff suspension I left in my previous BMW.

Sorry for no pictures yet, but for this purpose pics aren’t really needed and I don’t want a whole bunch of comments about needed to “slam the 4x4”.

Problem is, even with the large gap, about 1.5in to 2in, the fender lips appear so still make contact on normal size roadway dips and corners. (Fixed the inner fender rubbing with a heat gun already.)

I wasn’t focused on lowering it, but seeing everything mounted up now, I kind of want to even just a bit, but that will obviously exacerbate my rubbing. What should I do?

Have other with this setup rolled the fender lips? Would a lowering spring with a stiffer rate actually help the issue even after lowering the gap? Would I be better off just getting the F-Sport sway bars so the suspension is soft with the stock springs, but just doesn’t independently flex as much with the stiffer sways. Or should I lose some of the tire meat and rim protection I wanted and get a 225-35 and 265-30 tires so I am a little further away from the inside of the fender lip (rolled or not).

Quality advice and experience would be appreciated.
THANKS

Last edited by ajochums; 05-14-12 at 07:12 PM. Reason: wrong offsets listed
Old 05-14-12, 10:53 AM
LILVI3TNAM
Rookie

could be the plastic bro I'm on the 20 inch VOSSEN CV1's and i rub when i turn its the plastic fender thing I was freaking out LOL
Old 05-14-12, 10:56 AM
ajochums
Driver School Candidate

[quote=LILVI3TNAM;7231170]could be the plastic bro I'm on the 20 inch VOSSEN CV1's and i rub when i turn its the plastic fender thing I was freaking out LOL quote]

Hit the inner fender plstic already with the heat gun. May need to go back again, but I hear a nice sound coming from the rear when heading straight over a dip or rough road Some marks on the tire but really can't tell if it the fender lip or if I am just imagining it. Just can't tell what would be rubbing in the rear if it isn't the lip.

Last edited by ajochums; 05-14-12 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-14-12, 10:58 AM
LILVI3TNAM
Rookie

tires too big? i'm on stretch tires in the rear
Old 05-14-12, 11:10 AM
ajochums
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LILVI3TNAM
tires too big? i'm on stretch tires in the rear
Others on the forum have had that size with drops so I am looking for their advice. The 235 and 275 is nearly flush with the rim edge, maybe just a tad smaller in width. I am on the same page as you thinking that a 225 and 265 (not really a stretch) but could give me that 1/4 in room needed to not hit the fender, if that is actually what is going on. Just wondering if those with 19s and the same tire sizes are having that issue.

LILVI3TNAM, how is the edge of your 20in rim sit when compared to the top edge of the fender. Is it flush or indented a bit?
Old 05-14-12, 11:22 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ajochums
Just had my new 19in Vossen CV1s mounted over the weekend. (Specs are 8.5 in the front and 10 in the rear. Offsets are 30mm and 32mm I believe by memory) They are shod in Michelin Pilot Sport (all-season cause I needed the treadwear) in 235-35 in the front and 275-30 in the rear as I wanted some good meat on them and had seen that as a recommended size from others here on the forum.

Frankly the rims stick out a little further than I was expecting. Same offsets as everyone else so it must just be my eye. Right now I am on the stock suspension and really wanted to keep it that way for the better ride as I drive too much to have the stiff suspension I left in my previous BMW.

Sorry for no pictures yet, but for this purpose pics aren’t really needed and I don’t want a whole bunch of comments about needed to “slam the 4x4”.

Problem is, even with the large gap, about 1.5in to 2in, the fender lips appear so still make contact on normal size roadway dips and corners. (Fixed the inner fender rubbing with a heat gun already.)

I wasn’t focused on lowering it, but seeing everything mounted up now, I kind of want to even just a bit, but that will obviously exacerbate my rubbing. What should I do?

Have other with this setup rolled the fender lips? Would a lowering spring with a stiffer rate actually help the issue even after lowering the gap? Would I be better off just getting the F-Sport sway bars so the suspension is soft with the stock springs, but just doesn’t independently flex as much with the stiffer sways. Or should I lose some of the tire meat and rim protection I wanted and get a 225-35 and 265-30 tires so I am a little further away from the inside of the fender lip (rolled or not).

Quality advice and experience would be appreciated.
THANKS
signs that your fenders are making contact with the tires:

- paint wearing off on the inside fender edge
- rub marks on the shoulders/sidewalls of tires that run the entire circumference of the tire
- (front only) fenders "scalloping" tire shoulders

having said that, given your wheel and tire combination, it's definitely the tires that are rubbing against the fender and fender lining.

225/35-19 + 265/30-19 is probably your best bet in terms of clearance, but if you prefer those tire sizes you should look into rolling your fenders.

on a related note, be wary of people giving questionable advice, especially those people who can't figure out wheel/tire fitment for themselves.
Old 05-14-12, 11:31 AM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

^^^^Listen to this guy

he knows what the ***** he's talking about!
Old 05-14-12, 11:48 AM
ajochums
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by projectdna
signs that your fenders are making contact with the tires:

- paint wearing off on the inside fender edge
- rub marks on the shoulders/sidewalls of tires that run the entire circumference of the tire
- (front only) fenders "scalloping" tire shoulders

having said that, given your wheel and tire combination, it's definitely the tires that are rubbing against the fender and fender lining.

225/35-19 + 265/30-19 is probably your best bet in terms of clearance, but if you prefer those tire sizes you should look into rolling your fenders.

on a related note, be wary of people giving questionable advice, especially those people who can't figure out wheel/tire fitment for themselves.
Thanks projectdna. I do take everything with a grain of salt, but it sounds like you do know what you are talking about and have fans out there too. Also sounds like you are confirming what I was thinking anyway. Only been really driving on the tires for a day now, so I will keep a close eye on them and ear on the sounds. I commute 85 miles RT a day and can't baby the car over bumps and dips... especially that I haven't even lowered it. Michelin has a 30 day warranty and Discount Tire is great to work with so I probably will start looking to switch sizes. Would have to change brands, but with the savings I can then easily justify springs or sways to the wife.
Old 05-14-12, 11:58 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks projectdna. I do take everything with a grain of salt, but it sounds like you do know what you are talking about and have fans out there too. Also sounds like you are confirming what I was thinking anyway. Only been really driving on the tires for a day now, so I will keep a close eye on them and ear on the sounds. I commute 85 miles RT a day and can't baby the car over bumps and dips... especially that I haven't even lowered it. Michelin has a 30 day warranty and Discount Tire is great to work with so I probably will start looking to switch sizes. Would have to change brands, but with the savings I can then easily justify springs or sways to the wife.
before returning anything or doing any work, perform a visual inspection of your tires, fenders, and fender linings first. most issues can be diagnosed that way.

given those tire sizes and your wheel specs, my guess is that your tires are rubbing against the fender liners and possibly the far inside edge of the fenders. one size narrower (with the proper aspect ratios) or rolled fenders should create enough clearance.

but again, take a look, and then decide what to do.
Old 05-14-12, 12:15 PM
w0rtez
Rookie

Originally Posted by projectdna
before returning anything or doing any work, perform a visual inspection of your tires, fenders, and fender linings first. most issues can be diagnosed that way.

given those tire sizes and your wheel specs, my guess is that your tires are rubbing against the fender liners and possibly the far inside edge of the fenders. one size narrower (with the proper aspect ratios) or rolled fenders should create enough clearance.

but again, take a look, and then decide what to do.
What would be your advice for a new set of tires, if im now still with OEM wheels and tires lowered with no rub, but want to put these 19'CV1...

Thanks
Old 05-14-12, 06:35 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts

here's wat i would do, ill remove your rims..and give it to me..and you wont rub anymore...just kidding...rims looks hot...yeah listen to projectdna...visual inspection can determine pretty much everything why u rub..
Old 05-14-12, 07:11 PM
ajochums
Driver School Candidate

So on the way home today took some dips in my subdivision at 20mph and less. I bottomed out three times. Totally hitting the fender in the rear as there is red paint on the tire. Seems so far in that even going to a 265 AND rolling the fenders might not help.
I wonder if I got the wrong offset. Looks at the boxes again and is is 32mm for the front and 38mm for the rear.

If you wanna see the whole package... here is a simple shot in my driveway, Look at those gaps!!
Old 05-14-12, 07:27 PM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^ wow that car is High !!!
Old 05-14-12, 07:53 PM
aspeckt
Lead Lap

maybe some stiff coils?
Old 05-14-12, 08:08 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

So on the way home today took some dips in my subdivision at 20mph and less. I bottomed out three times. Totally hitting the fender in the rear as there is red paint on the tire. Seems so far in that even going to a 265 AND rolling the fenders might not help. -pic snip-
I wonder if I got the wrong offset. Looks at the boxes again and is is 32mm for the front and 38mm for the rear.

If you wanna see the whole package... here is a simple shot in my driveway, Look at those gaps!!
-pic snip-
265/30-19 + rolled fenders should create enough clearance.

alternatively, 255/30-19 w/out rolled fenders should do the trick.

Originally Posted by juvi22003
^ wow that car is High !!!
master of the obvious, you are, indeed.

Originally Posted by aspeckt
maybe some stiff coils?
OP's trying to preserve his stock ride quality.

coilovers w/ high spring rates won't help.

Quick Reply: New 19in rims and tires with rubbing. Need some experianced advice.