IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Just bought my Lexus and Ive noticed..

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-12, 10:47 AM
ateamballe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought my Lexus and Ive noticed..

Hello all.

First post...

I just bought my 2007 IS 250 about a month ago. I bought it with 89,000 miles on it.

For the first few weeks, when starting up the vehicle, all gauges adjusted themselves.

NOW- the Engine Temperature gauge below the Tachometer is stuck on C (Cold) at start up. After about 20 minutes, it seems to acquire a temperature reading and adjust accordingly.

Also, when turning on my headlights, my RPM fluctuates and I notice a slight "sputter" in the engine sound.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

-Ben
Old 05-14-12, 10:50 AM
LILVI3TNAM
Rookie

hit up the dealer ship bro
Old 05-14-12, 10:55 AM
ateamballe
Driver School Candidate

I did get it from a CarMax and I bought the maintenance plan that covers me for 60,000 more miles. I just didnt know whether these issues were worth getting looked at or not.... or if its a sign for things to come.

Thanks for the reply
Old 05-14-12, 11:02 AM
evogt500
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isnt the temp guage on "C" because its still cold? It does take some time for the engine to warm up. It will not go straight to the warm up point on the gauge right after start up.

You are putting more electrical load on the engine when you turn the headlights on. That makes the engine run harder, hence the slight sputter.

I would get the battery checked out if you are really concerned.

Last edited by evogt500; 05-14-12 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-14-12, 11:13 AM
ateamballe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by evogt500
Isnt it the temp buage on "C" because its still cold? I does take some time for the engine to warm up. It will not go straight to the warm up point on the gauge right after start up.

You are putting more electrical load on the engine when you turn the headlights on. That makes the engine run harder, hence the slight sputter.

Currently it starts right above the "C" after sitting overnight.

If it sits (with engine off) for a few hours (3-4) the temp gauge starts at slightly below the "C" but still takes time to get a temp reading.

When I initially bought the vehicle, the gauge would adjust to the middle (between C and H) immediately after engine start up. I do not know what the correct behavior for the gauge is. I just know it changed
Old 05-14-12, 11:27 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

I beleave it normal to be cold until you drive it to warm up. After it warmed up say you stop turn it off for 5min and get back in it will stay in between. It just a cold start no car after sitting over night gonna go straight to warm in less than a few seconds.

Last edited by laobo979; 05-14-12 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-14-12, 11:30 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If your car has been sitting off for a few hours or overnight, it moves from below the C to the middle slowly. This is normal behavior as the motor warms up. The only time it will move immediately between the C and H on start up should be if you've already driven it in the last couple hours. Usually after the car has been sitting for more than 2 hours it will be only 1/4 of the way between C and H or less.
Old 05-14-12, 11:43 AM
LexoticJ
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by evogt500
Isnt it the temp buage on "C" because its still cold? I does take some time for the engine to warm up. It will not go straight to the warm up point on the gauge right after start up.

Mine does the same thing... I was wondering about the sputter as well..
Old 05-14-12, 02:35 PM
busdepot
Lead Lap

The IS does not warm up quickly. Literally in winters when it's -25C (-15F), my car seldom gets past 1/3 on the engine temp until like 30-35 min into a drive. Georgia is obviously warmer than a Canadian winter, but it isn't the quickest car to get up to temp in my experience.
Old 05-14-12, 02:58 PM
es808
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you say "After about 20 minutes, it seems to acquire a temperature reading and adjust accordingly", does the temperature slowly rise to the correct temp or does it spike up in a sudden move? If it slowly rises, I would say it's normal. But if it jumps up, then I would have them take a look at it.
Old 05-14-12, 04:48 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by busdepot
The IS does not warm up quickly. Literally in winters when it's -25C (-15F), my car seldom gets past 1/3 on the engine temp until like 30-35 min into a drive. Georgia is obviously warmer than a Canadian winter, but it isn't the quickest car to get up to temp in my experience.
Get your dealer or friendly neighbourhood mechanic to install a higher temp thermostat. Most car manufacturers have one for winter package, and Toyota/Lexus is no different. Lived 20 years in deadmonton, and each of my cars had to have that done.
Old 05-14-12, 06:54 PM
RWDorGTFO
Rookie

Originally Posted by busdepot
Honestly, I'd say this is normal operation if you live in Canada. I can't see your location because I'm on my phone but if you are in Canada, do you know if the car has always been in Canada? If not, I'd recommend what the guy above me said and adjust your thermostat properly. As far as your other issue goes, headlights are a load on the engine. The more accessories you use like headlights, cigarette lighter, and even higher amperage circuits like rear window defrosters, it will put a larger load on the engine hence why you feel a variation. I would not worry about this too much, but for some piece of mind get someone to test your battery and/or alternator. Just for peace of mind. Either way, enjoy your IS and I don't think you have much to worry about my friend.
Old 05-14-12, 07:11 PM
Denver
Lead Lap

if you car is taking 20 mins to warm up with this current weather in ga, maybe your thermostat is stuck open so it takes longer to warm up. my car takes 5-10 mins to warm up with current weather

Last edited by Denver; 05-14-12 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-14-12, 07:19 PM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That's just normal for our IS nothing to worry about...
Old 05-14-12, 07:37 PM
LexoticJ
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 43 Posts

ok what about the car sputtering on with a audio system hooked to it?

i have 1 jl10w6 and a jl 500/1 amp with a cap and when it hits and im at red lights it feels like it wants to cut the car off but i've taken the battery out and had it fully charged

Quick Reply: Just bought my Lexus and Ive noticed..