[Urgent] Please help! ***Damaged frount sub-frame***

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-12, 12:48 PM
UmattWayO
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [Urgent] Please help! ***Damaged frount sub-frame***

Hey everyone,

My IS250AWD is lowered on H&R springs and recently, i went over a sewer cap that is stuck up so high in a mall parking lot (it was ******ing pacific mall if anyone is from Toronto). it was very loud...
Stupid old me thought it was nothing serious and when i looked under the car i only see the corner of the engine under cover was shredded. It was dragging along the ground so i decided to drop by lexus today and have them replace it.
They came over to me and told me to go look at the actual damage, that was not good..
The "front sub-frame' (SPORD T.O. 5110030671) was pretty banged up and they said the suspension shifted as well.
I did the noob alignment test myself on the way home by letting go of the steering wheel on a straight road and seeing if it would drive off to one side, but it doesnt. The steering wheel doesn't vibrate either.

Anyway, lexus quoted me $3424.45 to replace the front sub-frame and another $110 for an alignment.

what should I do? I'm from Toronto btw, not in the U.S.
claim insurance? claim from the mall?

Please help, I don't feel safe driving my car anymore
Old 05-16-12, 01:44 PM
SILVRLININ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would start by taking photos of the sewer, document the incident, obtain the quote from Lexus and file a claim with the city. I've heard of people in situations like yourself receiving some type of compensation from the city.

I highly recommend you do not mention that your car is lowered as that may hinder their decision to grant your claim.
Old 05-16-12, 01:50 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Damaging the sub frame wasn't a good idea since the geometry of the vehicle just gotten affected and can affect the structural integrity of the vehicle. Was this avoidable?

Definitely try to file against the city if you can.

Last edited by Sango; 05-16-12 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-16-12, 01:52 PM
K83
Driver School Candidate

You should definitely try and go through the city first. If that doesn't prove to be useful then definitely claim it on insurance. I'm not sure how insurance would input this sort of thing, I don't want them to tell you it's your fault and then try and give you points or something!
Old 05-16-12, 01:57 PM
pchan0
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UmattWayO
Hey everyone,

My IS250AWD is lowered on H&R springs and recently, i went over a sewer cap that is stuck up so high in a mall parking lot (it was ******ing pacific mall if anyone is from Toronto). it was very loud...
Stupid old me thought it was nothing serious and when i looked under the car i only see the corner of the engine under cover was shredded. It was dragging along the ground so i decided to drop by lexus today and have them replace it.
They came over to me and told me to go look at the actual damage, that was not good..
The "front sub-frame' (SPORD T.O. 5110030671) was pretty banged up and they said the suspension shifted as well.
I did the noob alignment test myself on the way home by letting go of the steering wheel on a straight road and seeing if it would drive off to one side, but it doesnt. The steering wheel doesn't vibrate either.

Anyway, lexus quoted me $3424.45 to replace the front sub-frame and another $110 for an alignment.

what should I do? I'm from Toronto btw, not in the U.S.
claim insurance? claim from the mall?

Please help, I don't feel safe driving my car anymore
Wow, sorry to hear that Matt. Where was that sewer cap?

Take it to http://bullockcity.com first and see what they say? Dealership might over exaggerate on damages.
Old 05-16-12, 02:27 PM
UmattWayO
Driver

Thanks everyone for the replies, i'll go back and take some pics.
if i claim with the city, will they check to see if my car is lowered?
i've never filed anything with the city so what is the process?

Originally Posted by pchan0
Wow, sorry to hear that Matt. Where was that sewer cap?

Take it to http://bullockcity.com first and see what they say? Dealership might over exaggerate on damages.
Thanks Peter,
the sewer cap is where the lane between market village and pacific mall is. its where trucks usually drive to unload stuff i guess, do you know where i'm talking about? if you enter the mall from steeles and go straight at the stop sign. Sigh.. this is one expensive fix..
Old 05-16-12, 02:34 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

That depends on how high that sewer cap is... if other cars going through that with no issues at all. You are going to have a tough time claiming. If the cap is within standards or code, you will be denied.

It's like trying to file a claim against the city for a speed bump because you scraped on a lowered car... get my drift?

I would first get a second opinion on that... the dealer may be a bit over-cautious. Take it to another shop and see...
Old 05-16-12, 02:42 PM
Alias
Lexus Champion

i second a second opinion from a reputable shop that you can trust. remember the dealership is a stealership.
Old 05-16-12, 02:47 PM
UmattWayO
Driver

Originally Posted by shadowman
That depends on how high that sewer cap is... if other cars going through that with no issues at all. You are going to have a tough time claiming. If the cap is within standards or code, you will be denied.

It's like trying to file a claim against the city for a speed bump because you scraped on a lowered car... get my drift?

I would first get a second opinion on that... the dealer may be a bit over-cautious. Take it to another shop and see...
yep i understand, thanks. that sewer cap is abnormally high though, and i thought i could clear it, but apparently not. thinking back to it makes me cringe.

I already booked an appointment to have it checked out at the garage i go to for oil changes. I'm not hopeful though because I saw it myself, it really is banged up pretty bad. i forgot to take pictures today at the dealership though, stupid me. The dealership was pretty nice, they didn't charge me for the inspection and changed my key batteries for free as well.

For Ontario peeps, i'm talking about the london ontario lexus dealership, the don valley north lexus dealership in toronto are scum.
Old 05-16-12, 03:01 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

keep in mind: the mall parking lot might consider "private property"......

good luck and keep us posted
Old 05-16-12, 04:31 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 767 Likes on 662 Posts

If you cannot get the city to replace. I would take the car to any alignment shop and have the check the alignment, dealers love to fix everything thats how they make their money. Tell them you hit a hard bump and want to have it checked out some places will check them for free.

I am not sure about the is chassis, is the subframe bolted or welded on? If it is bolted on you can easily replace it, buy buying a used subframe, and have a local shop do the work. may cost you 3-500 in labour and used part maybe 2-400 dollars.
Old 05-16-12, 05:47 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Shouldn't your insurance cover this also?

I would go through insurance, let them know you wish to file with the city for damages too and see what they tell you.
Old 05-16-12, 05:54 PM
Silver10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you really that low on H&R's?
Old 05-16-12, 06:11 PM
busdepot
Lead Lap

I can actually chime in here with relevant advice. I had a similar thing happen to me last year. I was driving in Calgary through the industrial park and I drove over some really high train tracks which were all bent out of shape from big trucks going over them. The bump, which was much more like the grand canyon than a crossing, caused my fender to buckle, since I'm also lowered.

I phoned the City of Calgary and told them what happened, and they asked about the location. Turns out train tracks in the west are all owned and operated by either Canadian Pacific or CN Rail. So I called Canadian Pacific and they asked for all my information, pictures of the rail crossing, and the resulting damage to the car. They agreed that it was their fault as a railroad crossing, while private property, is a public causeway that the general public must use to access public services (ie roads). Parking lots typically have some sort of BS signs that say use at own risk, but you may be able to swindle them on this since they're public domain. CP paid for my entire repair.
Old 05-16-12, 06:59 PM
UmattWayO
Driver

Thanks guys, i'll keep you all posted.
I'll upload pics of the damage when I get the chance on friday.

Originally Posted by ibidu1
If you cannot get the city to replace. I would take the car to any alignment shop and have the check the alignment, dealers love to fix everything thats how they make their money. Tell them you hit a hard bump and want to have it checked out some places will check them for free.

I am not sure about the is chassis, is the subframe bolted or welded on? If it is bolted on you can easily replace it, buy buying a used subframe, and have a local shop do the work. may cost you 3-500 in labour and used part maybe 2-400 dollars.
Thats a good idea, do you know how i can get my hands on a used sub-frame? lol
It doesn't sound that easy as it'll have to be taken of a totalled car or something.
The labour is going to be intense, cause they made it sound like it was a difficult fix. 5 hours or so and they'll have to take out the engine and blah blah blah.. I'm not sure if just any garage will be able to fix it.

Quick Reply: [Urgent] Please help! ***Damaged frount sub-frame***