IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Neighbor backed over my car

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-12, 11:32 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HAYSTACK
Trust me, I certainly thought about it. It wouldnt have been a problem, but I know that would just have caused me more problems. He is def on my **** list.
The girl didnt even apologize, her mom did. Little ungrateful punk.
Honestly, I wouldn't have socked the Dad and I'm not recommending that kind of behavior here but some well-placed words in these situations really can send permanent shock waves. I guarantee you if you point out to both the Dad and daughter that he has just reinforced bad behavior and she is more likely to have a worse accident in the future as a result, both of them will never forget (and at some point in their maturity process, assuming they achieve it, respect you for it).

About 3 or 4 times per year I get an "oh my god I can't believe you just said/did that" reaction from my girlfriend, where I called someone out in person in a non-violent but very truth-in-your-face-way to try to mitigate general douchebaggery like that. It's not always the most popular stance and I know I'm not politician material but to me that's a good thing.

Sounds like in his case, it might save his daughters life one day to know it's important to pay attention behind the wheel.

Sorry about your car BTW but minor damage like that is easily fixable, and in this case the tab goes to the D-Bag Dad.
Old 05-19-12, 11:41 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's going to be a good amount in damages for just a small hit like that. I'm guessing you'll creep up on about $4-5k in damages between the hood + front bumper + headlight and labor for all of them at the dealership. Go for a "diminished value" claim if you can in your state. I'm sure the kid will be a lot more careful in the future considering the rise in premiums that her parents will be getting.
Old 05-20-12, 12:15 AM
HAYSTACK
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
That's going to be a good amount in damages for just a small hit like that. I'm guessing you'll creep up on about $4-5k in damages between the hood + front bumper + headlight and labor for all of them at the dealership. Go for a "diminished value" claim if you can in your state. I'm sure the kid will be a lot more careful in the future considering the rise in premiums that her parents will be getting.
This is the 1st Ive heard about the diminished value. What exactly is it? Anybody here have any dealings with it?

The hood is just scratched pretty good above the HL. I wont go for any "blending" so the etire hood will be repainted. The front bumper is scratched and also caved in right under the light, so I know it will have to be replaced as well as the HL. I estimate 4k-5k also. I hope they are ready for it.
Old 05-20-12, 12:21 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

This is the 1st Ive heard about the diminished value. What exactly is it? Anybody here have any dealings with it?

The hood is just scratched pretty good above the HL. I wont go for any "blending" so the etire hood will be repainted. The front bumper is scratched and also caved in right under the light, so I know it will have to be replaced as well as the HL. I estimate 4k-5k also. I hope they are ready for it.
It probably doesn't matter what the cost will be to them, either way they will just be paying the deductible and premiums are going to go up regardless.

As far as diminished value, I know there are other members that know it well, but here's a basic run down:
http://www.autoloss.com/Services/Onl...-industry.html
Old 05-20-12, 12:49 AM
gemini1
FNM President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, that sucks!

Hope his insurance takes care of you!
Old 05-20-12, 01:23 AM
EricOrtiz
Driver

I say you make them get the 2011 lights straight from lexus.
Old 05-20-12, 04:39 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow man sorry to hear...and as far at the parent daughter combo....douche bags raise douche bags....she won't learn any better if her dad is the same way....they are some people in the world that are built one way and will never change and that is who unfortunately hit you.
Old 05-20-12, 06:32 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Like KillaIS250 said I was going to recommend making a claim for diminished value. Basically diminished value refers to the fact that even when your car is fully repaired, it's going to be worth less than it was before because it has an accident on its record. The diminished value claim is intended to make a payment to you for what that difference in value is. It involves an appraisal, then the insurance company simply sends you a check.

Problem is, some states are more receptive to diminished value claims than others. It's all dependent upon the case law. In some states, if you make a claim to the insurance company they won't hesitate and will send a check. In other states, the insurance company may just balk, and to pursue it would mean going to court (usually not worth it, particularly in this case).

Unfortunately, Alabama looks to be a state that is more difficult to claim diminished value: http://www.mwl-law.com/CM/Resources/...imuinution.pdf

In any case I'd try it, it can't hurt.
Old 05-20-12, 07:38 AM
SnowPeas
Rookie

That sux good luck getting everything replaced.
Old 05-20-12, 07:47 AM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Damn lil rich girls !!!
Old 05-20-12, 08:50 AM
robbieca
Driver School Candidate

Neighbor's daughter wasnt looking as she backed out her driveway and I stopped and tried to put in reverse but wasnt quick enough. I scratched the hood, bumber, and headlight. I have the new 2011 lights that were replaced by the warranty. I checked sewell and it looks like the one headlamp is 1600+. Does that sound right? Im taking the car to the dealership to get fixed. Looks like a new bumper, headlamp, and the hood will have to be painted.
Just out of curiosity, what was the car that hit you?
Old 05-20-12, 09:01 AM
scorpionge
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

oooh that b*tch, lol

hope you get it fixed quickly..
sucks that when you're a good driver some punk comes and messes with your ride...
sucks monkey *****.. sorry
Old 05-20-12, 01:23 PM
HAYSTACK
Pole Position

Originally Posted by robbieca
Just out of curiosity, what was the car that hit you?
Ford focus....
Old 05-20-12, 01:24 PM
HAYSTACK
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EricOrtiz
I say you make them get the 2011 lights straight from lexus.

I see no other way to get them. They were just replaced under warranty, so everything that gets replaced will come from the dealership
Old 05-20-12, 04:02 PM
es808
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about your car. Glad that no one was hurt and hope you get your car back good as new.

I have a 3 year old son and if he does anything like this when he grows up, he will be talked to....and the keys will be taken away for a while and grounded. It's one thing to be in an accident where someone else causes it or weather plays a part. But when a driver carelessly causes an accident, then it is unacceptable.

Not paying attention while backing up... It's hard enough back up without distractions.

Quick Reply: Neighbor backed over my car