IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Plastidip Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-13, 08:02 PM
Is250orFJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey man this site is the shizzle... I'm new to Lexus but I love mine... I just picked up a set of 20x8.5/20x10 tsw nagaro wheels that I'm about to plastidip charcoal matte. I'm also going to do my grill and all chrome trip matte black and my badges charcoal matte as well. I planned on doing carbon vinyl on the roof... Any thoughts?
Old 07-18-13, 07:24 PM
d1sturb3d
Driver School Candidate

Just as an FYI, the reason why plasti dip is crap and cheap is the same reason going cheap on products for asthetics is terrible. Coffee can mufflers on a four banger sounds like **** but on a v8 sounds ok. The fact is that it is still a cheap muffler and doesn't look our sound as good as a magnaflow or yoshimura muffler.
They try to mimic the same function but are cheaper options. The same as lightweight cast aluminium wheels that xxr and rota makes. Cheap replica's that fail and most people that care more about form than function or safety turn to it first. In the case of plasti dip it used to be a great quick option until every one with a stock 3 series or speed 3 blacked out their wheels or emblems trying to pretend they gave a crap about their cars.
It just comes down to cheap mods that someone else has on their car. Personally I love my car and I'll spend the money it costs for vinyl because its durable not a quick half assed option and not everyone claiming to be a car enthusiast is going to be sporting it. Just comes down to how much the owner cares about their car.
Plastidip = rice in my mind. Its the cheap quick way of getting the job done. Like a henna tattoo. Temporary and is never going to be as good as a real tattoo. But, there is always a market for it.
Old 07-18-13, 07:45 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by vid119
Just as an FYI, the reason why plasti dip is crap and cheap is the same reason going cheap on products for asthetics is terrible. Coffee can mufflers on a four banger sounds like **** but on a v8 sounds ok. The fact is that it is still a cheap muffler and doesn't look our sound as good as a magnaflow or yoshimura muffler.
They try to mimic the same function but are cheaper options. The same as lightweight cast aluminium wheels that xxr and rota makes. Cheap replica's that fail and most people that care more about form than function or safety turn to it first. In the case of plasti dip it used to be a great quick option until every one with a stock 3 series or speed 3 blacked out their wheels or emblems trying to pretend they gave a crap about their cars.
It just comes down to cheap mods that someone else has on their car. Personally I love my car and I'll spend the money it costs for vinyl because its durable not a quick half assed option and not everyone claiming to be a car enthusiast is going to be sporting it. Just comes down to how much the owner cares about their car.
Plastidip = rice in my mind. Its the cheap quick way of getting the job done. Like a henna tattoo. Temporary and is never going to be as good as a real tattoo. But, there is always a market for it.

^
THIS

Plastidip on emblems
Plastidip on grill surround, somewhat acceptable though I wouldnt do it
Plastidip on wheels
Plastidip on your hood or entire car Totally unacceptable
Old 07-18-13, 09:58 PM
PlacidBoi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vid119
Wow did you sign up for CL just to post this? Haha I'm kidding.
Anyhow, I have XXR 527's and yes, they are cheap and no, they do not fail. This debate can go on and on about how there are so many pictures of them cracking and etc. I bought them with one thing in mind, they're cheap and I'll test them out. I drive quite a lot, and not a single sign of them cracking after 8,000 miles and yes, they have been through quite the treatment.
Back to topic, Plastidip for smaller objects, I'm all for it. But for wheels or the whole car, I can't really get myself to do it. I have played with platidip and when you take it out, it makes the car feel really rough. I can only imagine you'd have to claybar and polish and wax.
Old 07-19-13, 12:23 AM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey hey, I loved my henna sleeve. Sometimes temporary is better than permanent.
Old 07-19-13, 06:32 AM
MrFRJ
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many people on here that are all for the high end stuff still live at home?
Old 07-19-13, 06:54 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MrFRJ
How many people on here that are all for the high end stuff still live at home?
What does that have to do with anything? The price difference between a can of plastidip and some vinyl is not that much.
Old 07-19-13, 07:09 AM
MrFRJ
Rookie

Originally Posted by bob4256
What does that have to do with anything? The price difference between a can of plastidip and some vinyl is not that much.
Seen someone mention buying cheap wheels , and cheap mods,
Old 07-22-13, 06:23 AM
Is250orFJ
Driver School Candidate

Well vinyl is pretty expensive. Most guys are charging 3-400$ around here to vinyl a roof. I can get it painted for 200$ and for the guys who don't like dip, don't put it on your car. I personally love the **** I've dipped my entire car 4 times and every time it came out ****IN DOPE. It's also lowered now on a set of plastidipped tsw 20" nagaros. I love plastidip. My wheels have been done for almost 4 months and still look like the day I did them. I've been dipping cars around my neighborhood for people and seems to be catching on pretty big in the car hobby. My next project I'm dipping the car and then letting a local graffiti artist do his magic on the dip. I'm 30 have a decent job and also a house note on top of 2 car notes.... Just because someone doesn't wanna spend 10k$ on a paint job or 7k on a set of wheels doesn't make them cheap. I'd say makes them responsible. I'm on a few dyc forums and seems to be a lot of the higher end cars getting the dips done #1 protects your paint #2 easy to change if you don't like it #3 it's my car, ill put whatever I want on it
Old 07-22-13, 09:33 AM
MrFRJ
Rookie

Originally Posted by Is250orFJ
Well vinyl is pretty expensive. Most guys are charging 3-400$ around here to vinyl a roof. I can get it painted for 200$ and for the guys who don't like dip, don't put it on your car. I personally love the **** I've dipped my entire car 4 times and every time it came out ****IN DOPE. It's also lowered now on a set of plastidipped tsw 20" nagaros. I love plastidip. My wheels have been done for almost 4 months and still look like the day I did them. I've been dipping cars around my neighborhood for people and seems to be catching on pretty big in the car hobby. My next project I'm dipping the car and then letting a local graffiti artist do his magic on the dip. I'm 30 have a decent job and also a house note on top of 2 car notes.... Just because someone doesn't wanna spend 10k$ on a paint job or 7k on a set of wheels doesn't make them cheap. I'd say makes them responsible. I'm on a few dyc forums and seems to be a lot of the higher end cars getting the dips done #1 protects your paint #2 easy to change if you don't like it #3 it's my car, ill put whatever I want on it
F it Im plasti-dipping my house ! #DIPTHEWORLD
Old 07-22-13, 11:11 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by MrFRJ
F it Im plasti-dipping my house ! #DIPTHEWORLD
Lmao #teamplastidip #plastidipking
Old 07-22-13, 12:55 PM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
Lmao #teamplastidip #plastidipking
Now I wonder what the insulation properties of this stuff is
Old 07-24-13, 08:33 AM
billymowat
Rookie

just finished doing mine now
Attached Images   

Last edited by billymowat; 07-25-13 at 05:17 AM.
Old 07-24-13, 09:17 AM
stewb10
Driver

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
^
THIS

Plastidip on emblems
Plastidip on grill surround, somewhat acceptable though I wouldnt do it
Plastidip on wheels
Plastidip on your hood or entire car Totally unacceptable

The one exception that I've seen to this rule is one of my buddies with a G37. He got his hands on some G35 rays, threw on some blizzies, plastidipped them, and uses them as winter wheels in these harsh ohio winters. Looked good and was very functional. Great design, great winter tire, forged wheel for potholes, and protective coating from salt.