IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Zenclosure Subwoofer Box and JL 10W6V2

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-12, 11:43 AM
Jassi1994
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Jl W6 with a 500/1 in a sealed box custom made and bought it off ebay sounds amazing, love the clean look
Attached Thumbnails Zenclosure Subwoofer Box and JL 10W6V2-jl.jpg  
Old 06-04-12, 11:50 AM
obby
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ thinking about buying the same box. where did you mount your amp..?
Old 06-04-12, 11:56 AM
stasis3131
Lead Lap

It has room on the back to mount the amp
Old 06-04-12, 12:16 PM
lexus3@pgf
Driver School Candidate

hmm let me help you here.

sealed box will give you good smooth bass response, if done right the natural roll off will blend well into the boost of low frequencies the car provides to give you a very nice smooth response,.

if you looking for bass that is smooth and has good tonality then this is the box. i beg to differ that a sealed box will "play deeper" then a ported box. but that is my experience.

also you will save a lot of trunk space using a sealed box.

the cons of a sealed box is that it is not as efficient as the other alignments available but if you want a fool proof easy to build box this the one for you and it will preform very well with that woofer.

if you decide to go ported then you have many options on how to control the response of the enclosure with the volume and tuning. not going to get into to much here other then if you do a
properly tuned ported enclosure (tuned to your car) you can get lots of good low bass extension.

so for you i would ask you this?
if you want it to be more louder from 50hz down then go ported. you will find that you can use a smaller amp if need be due to the boost from the port.
the box will be a lot bigger and more difficult to build.

JL audio for what it is worth makes very good product. they get bashed a lot but there still doing something right. the w6 woofer has gotten many good reviews and is an excellent woofer of choice. yes there is other brands out there too choose from i personally believe you made a good choice.

if you have any questions please send me a pm.
Old 06-04-12, 01:34 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the guy that builds the zenclosure boxes is local (for me), when my brother got his altima coupe he built him a box free (later used as a template) and it was great with 2 10 inch W3s. I have a box that I got off another member on here that I think was originally a zenclosure box and its great with 2 12 w6 woofers. Its actually probably over kill because I keep my gain up less than half way for more than enough bass in the 2IS. If you contact Zenclosures and tell them which sub you are going to use he can build it to specs for the most part.
Old 06-04-12, 02:48 PM
linus73
Lead Lap

how do you expect to get all of the bass inside the cabin if you are blocking the ski hole ? i cut all the metal out and the ski hole is gone. shared port enclosure is way louder and i prove it many times to my customers.
Old 06-04-12, 03:13 PM
LexoticJ
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 43 Posts

I definitely appreciate your input on this one... helps make the choices easier as i am running a ported box now but need to save the space in my trunk

Originally Posted by lexus3@pgf
hmm let me help you here.

sealed box will give you good smooth bass response, if done right the natural roll off will blend well into the boost of low frequencies the car provides to give you a very nice smooth response,.

if you looking for bass that is smooth and has good tonality then this is the box. i beg to differ that a sealed box will "play deeper" then a ported box. but that is my experience.

also you will save a lot of trunk space using a sealed box.

the cons of a sealed box is that it is not as efficient as the other alignments available but if you want a fool proof easy to build box this the one for you and it will preform very well with that woofer.

if you decide to go ported then you have many options on how to control the response of the enclosure with the volume and tuning. not going to get into to much here other then if you do a
properly tuned ported enclosure (tuned to your car) you can get lots of good low bass extension.

so for you i would ask you this?
if you want it to be more louder from 50hz down then go ported. you will find that you can use a smaller amp if need be due to the boost from the port.
the box will be a lot bigger and more difficult to build.

JL audio for what it is worth makes very good product. they get bashed a lot but there still doing something right. the w6 woofer has gotten many good reviews and is an excellent woofer of choice. yes there is other brands out there too choose from i personally believe you made a good choice.

if you have any questions please send me a pm.
Old 06-04-12, 03:35 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I used some sound deadening material for my rattling gas door. Here is what I did. Wanted something for show and a bit of BUMP https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...with-pics.html
Old 06-04-12, 09:43 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

i removed the plastic ski hole cover and keep the armrest down...its plenty of bass...but then again im not trying to win any db contests. You can also remove the stock sub and port upwards.
Old 06-09-12, 02:40 AM
DIJohn46
Driver School Candidate

Where on the back of the box did you guys exactly mount your amp? I have an Alpine M500 and I mounted it in the back but it hits the back on my rear seats and makes the box look like its sitting uneven
Old 06-09-12, 12:29 PM
stasis3131
Lead Lap

I have a alpine mrp1000 amp and it's mounted to the box on the back centered . It's not going to be totally flush cause the back of the box is slanted and your seats aren't . Only way to get the amp totally flush is to build a amp rack over the ski hole. Other then that you just gotta live with it bro.
Old 06-11-12, 07:37 PM
LexoticJ
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by stasis3131
I have a alpine mrp1000 amp and it's mounted to the box on the back centered . It's not going to be totally flush cause the back of the box is slanted and your seats aren't . Only way to get the amp totally flush is to build a amp rack over the ski hole. Other then that you just gotta live with it bro.
Do you have any pics of the back of the box or pics of how you mounted this up?
Old 06-11-12, 08:10 PM
stasis3131
Lead Lap

I got pics of it mounted but you really can't see the back of the box you can only see the amp cause of how I mounted it to the box. I post the pic up anyway in a few
Old 06-11-12, 08:34 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

mines mounted on the top of the box, might be a different version but its perfect.
Old 06-11-12, 09:50 PM
stasis3131
Lead Lap

here is my box i just installed. you cant the the bass enhancer is mounted on the right side of the box and the 2 farad cap is mounted on the left side of the box. the amp is center perfectly on the box to fit in the ski hole so it can be seen and air conditioned so it doesnt heat up. before i mounted the amp to the box i used a 1inch skinny piece of pvc tubing about the sixe of a screw. i placed it at all four corners of the amp to aid in air flow under the amp. the amp retains more heat flush against the box.
Attached Thumbnails Zenclosure Subwoofer Box and JL 10W6V2-photo-1.jpg   Zenclosure Subwoofer Box and JL 10W6V2-photo-2.jpg   Zenclosure Subwoofer Box and JL 10W6V2-photo-3.jpg