IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Upgrade Navi?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-12, 10:15 AM
carlosL250
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Upgrade Navi?

Hi CL, I have a 2008 is250 AWD with a navi and i've come to conclusion that it's a pretty bad navigation system. It gives me weird routes and i feel that the one in my fathers honda is much better. I did some research and found that you can upgrade the navi via dvd which u can get online or the dealership. I was just wondering if its worth all that money to upgrade it and what difference will i see? i really want a live traffic, if possible.

Thanks!
Old 06-04-12, 11:11 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You won't get any new features at all.

You'll get updated maps. That's it.

For less money than one map update you can buy a Garmin with current maps (and free lifetime updates), realtime traffic, and a ton of other features the OEM unit lacks.
Old 06-04-12, 11:18 AM
Soap
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I always use my Google navigation on my phone. Prefer it over anything I have ever used so far...
Old 06-04-12, 01:41 PM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The update may help w/ the directions because the navi will have updated maps but as far as real-time traffic thats only possible on the new HD based navi system (and it still kinda sucks my mom's '10 250 has it).
Old 06-04-12, 02:19 PM
ydnandy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I picked up my 2008 IS, one of the first things I did was update the nav. My maps were from like 2006, so they were really outdated. They had recently completed a new highway near me and the update was awesome. Like others said, no real change in the features, just map updates.... although, if you have really old maps and still need to click "i agree" when starting the car, the new update will get rid of that.
Old 06-08-12, 08:52 AM
carlosL250
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new navi system?

So i was bored and really wished that the navi system could intregrate an ipod system in there for my iphone. Then i found flyaudio replacements which seemed amazing, but was too expensive for me. Then i found this.... http://www.**********.com/lexus-is-2...stem_p607.html.

It looks like an asian version of the navi because the clock is on the other side and you can tell that the steering wheel is on the right. I feel like its too good to be true plus its from china i presume so i dunno if it's trustworthy, but if its a real working and reliable product i would strongly consider getting this. I was just hoping for some opinions and insight?
Old 06-08-12, 09:34 AM
ydnandy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by carlosL250
So i was bored and really wished that the navi system could intregrate an ipod system in there for my iphone. Then i found flyaudio replacements which seemed amazing, but was too expensive for me. Then i found this.... http://www.**********.com/lexus-is-2...stem_p607.html.
doesn't look like a valid link, try again?
Old 06-08-12, 12:06 PM
zen
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by carlosL250

It looks like an asian version of the navi because the clock is on the other side and you can tell that the steering wheel is on the right. I feel like its too good to be true plus its from china i presume so i dunno if it's trustworthy, but if its a real working and reliable product i would strongly consider getting this. I was just hoping for some opinions and insight?
I guess that's the JDM navi in the ISx50. For the JDM navi it has more features like back up guided lines/turn guided lines etc. In China, the driver side is on the left same like in the US, except in Hong Kong or Macau are right handed driver side. In Japan, the driver side is on the right therefore the controls should be on the opposite side as well.
Old 06-08-12, 01:30 PM
ydnandy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zen
I guess that's the JDM navi in the ISx50. For the JDM navi it has more features like back up guided lines/turn guided lines etc. In China, the driver side is on the left same like in the US, except in Hong Kong or Macau are right handed driver side. In Japan, the driver side is on the right therefore the controls should be on the opposite side as well.
interesting.... is there different hardware for the jdm nav unit or would it be possible to use a jdm nav disc? I'm assuming you would have to somehow hack the software since you would want US maps but jdm functionality... What would a US nav unit do if you put in a jdm nav disc?
Old 06-11-12, 07:41 AM
zen
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ydnandy
interesting.... is there different hardware for the jdm nav unit or would it be possible to use a jdm nav disc? I'm assuming you would have to somehow hack the software since you would want US maps but jdm functionality... What would a US nav unit do if you put in a jdm nav disc?
I would think there are some different hardwares installed for the JDM navi (the controls on the navi are in Japanese), it shows guided lines and turn guided lines when you go reverse (same as you see on a G37). Also, if you put a JDM navi disk, it should only show the navi map in Japan and all text or the guided voice should be in Japanese as well. I doube if the JDM dvd navi disk can be read in a US version navi, since the JDM dvd disk regional code is different. These are just from top of my head and it's not confirmed. I'm not sure if anyone has try put a JDM map disk into a US version navi unit.
Old 06-11-12, 07:54 AM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only thing you can do is keep updating the disc. I use my phone for traffic. I had a portable that has lifetime traffic and maps. Even had bluetooth. The cars these features so it's not worth doubling up.
From what I was told the discs are region specific, it's like us trying to read a Japanese map on our units. I suppose the only way this could be achieved is by getting a JDM unit and using a current nav kit. Not sure how this would work, if it would even work, with out some user modification to the unit.