IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2007 is250 (rwd) - tires!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-12, 10:39 AM
enzo9
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 is250 (rwd) - tires!

Hello. I've been researching tires for my 2007 IS250 (RWD - manual).
front = 225/45-17
rear = 245/45-17

Since the tires are different sizes I need a good asymmetric or symmetric all-season tire solution. Directional's are out of the picture because I need to be able to rotate my tires. I can at least do a side to side rotation with asymmetric or symmetric.

I'm looking for great response (dry/wet) with minimal vibration. I can only come up with the following so far, but I'm not overly impressed with some of the reviews I've seen.
- Continental ExtremeContact DWS
- Kumho Ecsta 4X

Any suggestions on the above tires or others? Or even my thoughts on tire rotation - should I even bother?
Thanks!
Old 06-04-12, 11:02 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

my suggestion- don't buy all seasons.

Get a dedicated set of winter tires, which will significantly outperform any all-seasons in snow.... and get a dedicated set of summer performance tires, which will significantly outperform any all-seasons in all other conditions

and by perform I don't just mean accelerate faster or take a corner faster, I mean stop the car 20-40% shorter.

All that said, if you insist on buying all seasons anyway, the DWS is about as good as you'll get.
Old 06-04-12, 02:37 PM
enzo9
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Kurtz!

Treadlife and light snow is a concern for me... That's the reason for the all-season decision. I don't drive it at all in the winter.

What summer tires do you suggest?

What are your thoughts on the Kumhos?
Thanks!
Old 06-04-12, 03:16 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by enzo9
Thanks Kurtz!

Treadlife and light snow is a concern for me... That's the reason for the all-season decision. I don't drive it at all in the winter.

What summer tires do you suggest?

What are your thoughts on the Kumhos?
Thanks!
Money no object the Michelin Pilot Super Sports are about the best street summer performance tire around.... on the cheaper side of things you get good bang/buck from the Hankook V12 Evo, with the Continental DW (no S) right up there as well .

No real opinion on those particular Kumhos... when I bought my first Supra there was a set of Kumhos on there but not all seasons and they were pretty decent, a quick googling around found this comparing the DWS and Kumhos though (and michelins all season pilots)
http://www.kcsr.org/showthread.php?t=110828

Suggests a rough ride from the Kumhos
Old 06-04-12, 03:39 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Money no object the Michelin Pilot Super Sports are about the best street summer performance tire around.... on the cheaper side of things you get good bang/buck from the Hankook V12 Evo, with the Continental DW (no S) right up there as well .
I would steer clear of the Continental DW. I just replaced a set on my F that developed a terrible sing. I replaced after 8K miles with Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Positions.

My post is here:

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
I can not recommend this tire any longer At about 6K miles they started to develop an annoying sing. I now have about 9K miles on them. There's still plenty of tread left, and they still stick like glue (handling is still very impressive). When it's time, I will probably go with the Bridgestone SO4 Pole Position in the same 245/35/19 - 285/30/19 sizes. BTW, it appears that Tire Rack has the Continentals back in stock.

The sing happens between 40 and 60 MPH, and as I said it is very annoying

Lou
in this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...xtreme-dw.html

New thread here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-position.html

I agree the Michelin PSS is a great tire, but it doesn't come in the size I needed.

Lou
Old 06-05-12, 07:52 AM
enzo9
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info and links guys!

I went through them and got some really good information. I do like the Potenza S-04 Pole Positions, but i need all-seasons for tread life and cold weather performance - in OH. I must say... there seems to be no amazing options for all-season asymmetric tires. Another guy suggested Cooper Zeon RS3-A. Just don't know... I'll keep researching... let me know if anything comes to mind.
Thanks again!
enzo