IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

50% tint

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-12, 05:17 AM
richylee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 50% tint

Wanting to get my window tint today but I'm still not sure if I should get the front done or not, 50% on the front and 20% in the back.. Was going to 15% in the back but it might be too dark at night.
So my question is, will you get in trouble with a 50% Llumar in the front?
And how well is 20% at night?
Old 06-08-12, 06:15 AM
kingz415
Rookie

depends on where you live. i believe in CA you can't have any tint at all on your 2 front windows. i think 50% is probably way too light. get at least 25%. I live in the bay area and i have 20% all around. haven't got pulled for it yet and i been driving like that for at least 10 months. (knock on wood) although i usually roll my windows down at night whenever i see a cop.
Old 06-08-12, 06:28 AM
AmirLexus
Rookie

I have 5% all around minus the windshield on my Lexus. 3M tint.
I have had no problems Unless its pitch black outside.
If i were you i would get my front window tints the same % as the back. IMO it looks weird having a darker tint in the back. (if i were to do it all over again i would do 20% all around including the windshield)

I still have 20% on my beater. Absolutely love it. Keep us posted with pics
Old 06-08-12, 06:33 AM
CANDYAPPLE
Driver

it all depends on the color of your interior. 20% will get you a ticket if they run the meter. i have 36% and i get pulled over, but then the cop says eh i can see you so i'll give you a break this time. 50% is like nothng at all so dont even bother with that.
Old 06-08-12, 07:18 AM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

IMO, it's not even worth it to get 50% up front, too light. I run 30% all around and think it's the perfect amount with a black interior. My suggestion is to go to a local meet and check out the tints on other 2IS's.
Old 06-08-12, 07:46 AM
CANDYAPPLE
Driver

Originally Posted by brociouz
imo, it's not even worth it to get 50% up front, too light. I run 30% all around and think it's the perfect amount with a black interior. My suggestion is to go to a local meet and check out the tints on other 2is's.
i have a red car and black interior and about to get tints also in a little while. How does 30 look from the outside, because where i live its all illegal, but if they can see you they will give you a break. 36 is good but then after a few yrs it starts to get light.
Old 06-08-12, 07:56 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Check out some pictures here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...s-here-33.html
Old 06-08-12, 07:59 AM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CANDYAPPLE
i have a red car and black interior and about to get tints also in a little while. How does 30 look from the outside, because where i live its all illegal, but if they can see you they will give you a break. 36 is good but then after a few yrs it starts to get light.
It's pretty hard to put tint percentages into words. It's dark, but you can still see the people inside. Making out their faces is difficult.
Old 06-08-12, 08:24 AM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If this helps i got 35% in the front and 20% in the rear
Attached Thumbnails 50% tint-photo5.jpg  
Old 06-08-12, 09:21 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I would suggest getting something lower than 50% because you wont even notice it. I got pulled over for my 5% tints so Im going to get 15% all around and llumar blue air 80 on my front windshield
Old 06-08-12, 09:34 AM
Sango
Pole Position

You can probably get 35% (mine is spec actually at 38% for Pinnacle 35) all around. Pretty good. Front windshield Llumar Air Blue 80 is a plus!

For my exact setup, it's sort of 35% (38%) front and 40% (43%) rear. Barely noticable and it seems to match more uniform with the car from what people have observed since more light comes in from the front making the back look darker if the front percent is the same as the back. I probably prefer to change the back to 35% but it's really worth switching for the 5% difference.

Originaly my tint was 40 (43%) all around however the front ones were replaced for free on warranty, and was recommended from the tint people to go with 35%, which I did.

Last edited by Sango; 06-08-12 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-08-12, 12:22 PM
bam
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by richylee
Wanting to get my window tint today but I'm still not sure if I should get the front done or not, 50% on the front and 20% in the back.. Was going to 15% in the back but it might be too dark at night.
So my question is, will you get in trouble with a 50% Llumar in the front?
And how well is 20% at night?
First thing to keep in mind is any tint on the front windows is illegal in CA. With that being said do you constantly see people driving around with tinted front windows? Absolutely. Are some of them really dark? Absoultely. In my ipnion (and this is just pure speculation) cops will let a light 50% tint slide as it's almost like putting nothing on the windows but you can still tell tint is there. I would say the most common tint in CA is 40% on the front windows and in most cases, you'd be fine with this as well. Antyhing less and you'll be drawing some serious attention to your car. You'll also have to factor in what other aftermarket things you've done to the car. Loud exhaust? Yellow paint job? Big wheels and tires? All of these things will add up to a cop profiling you and pulling you over citing the tint was why they pulled you over hoping that they'll find other stuff to write you up for.

Another thing to consider is what exactly are you trying to achieve by tinting your car? If you're just simply looking to make the windows darker, than obvioulsy, you'll need dark tint. If it's for the other properties of UV rejection and heat rejection, you should consider ceramic tint if you haven't already because a light ceramic tint will almost always still out perform a dark metallic or dye tint.

Considering that Lexus has comfort access, I'd think that the metallic tint would interfere with the signals from the key fob so something to keep in mind.
Old 06-08-12, 05:01 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to have heavy tint for CA (5%) that was on my black on black ES300. That drew a lot of attention. On my IS300 I had 25% up front and 5% rear. That was a hit and miss. Now that I have 35% all around on my 350, they don't even look twice. It's classy during the day and dark at night. I wish it was darker but I used to flinch and roll windows for the cops. Not really worth it anymore. Sure its illegal, but cops are human. They can't tell nor is it bad in comparison to what they normally deal with.

Now for a place thats all tint illegal, good luck. But if you see people rolling with tint, then do it.

If you're worried about driving at night, you really should be asking yourself why you're doing it. I don't like the fishbowl look and I hate the sun beating down on me in traffic. Boom 35%
Old 06-08-12, 05:48 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I loved my 38% tint until i got a ticket...now I have 50% fml.
Old 06-08-12, 06:24 PM
Rikg35
Lead Lap

Juvi it looks baller BUT should have gone at least minimum 20% fronts imo

Quick Reply: 50% tint