IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

new wheels. vibration :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-12, 05:45 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kuuqi
I have both metal and plastic hub rings. In fact I bought a total of 4 sets just to try this out.

BUT I found a solution. The wheels are defective and we found all 4 are out of round.

I brought it over to a local shop who had a high speed balancer and we put it on, spun the wheel and found all four wheels are hopping on the balancer. We tried again to rebalance (5th balancing now) them and it still hops. Wheeldude's been great and is replacing all four of them for me. Hopefully the next wheels don't hop anymore.
Glad you found a solution. I just bought a set of linea corse dynas and now im starting to worry about this defect...
Old 06-21-12, 05:54 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

honestly i wouldn't worry about it. it's not like there's a ton of people having this issue. it was just this particular set was defective for whatever reason.

just make sure when you mount the tires and have them balanced to either yourself or have the tech actually look at the wheels spinning. you shouldn't see any hopping and chances are you won't
Old 06-22-12, 07:31 AM
JOELC
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have both metal and plastic hub rings. In fact I bought a total of 4 sets just to try this out.

BUT I found a solution. The wheels are defective and we found all 4 are out of round.

I brought it over to a local shop who had a high speed balancer and we put it on, spun the wheel and found all four wheels are hopping on the balancer. We tried again to rebalance (5th balancing now) them and it still hops. Wheeldude's been great and is replacing all four of them for me. Hopefully the next wheels don't hop anymore.
It is really weird how the Road Force did not find the wheels out but another shop did. This makes me question if it is the wheel at all. Can they not give you a set of other wheels to see if it happens again? You may wait for the new wheels just to find the same issue. Maybe best to switch to another company for the trial just to be sure.

PLEASE let us know when you change up the wheels!
Old 06-22-12, 05:27 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

When I was at the shop we were all confused why the road force didn't pick it up. But as of right now I believe it was due to user-error. We believe the shop might have simply put it on the machine and just got it to say "OKAY" and let it go. This time, the shop spent the time to spin it on a high speed balancer and looking at the wheel (I literally had 3 guys, one operating the machine and one person on each side watching the wheel) and we saw it hopping on the balancer. We then removed all the weights and tried to rebalance it again. Even at zero-zero, it was still hopping. After this balance, the vibration got better but it still shakes badly (to the point where i feel unsafe to drive).

But I've got the wheels packed up and I'll be sending them back to Zoeb. Once the new wheels come in, I'll let everyone know how it goes.

For the record, we inspected the tires and we know for sure its not the tires. Also we put my stock wheels back on found it does NOT vibrate at all. We also tried putting on the rears only on and then only the fronts and found they all caused vibrating individually with the rears being worse than the fronts.

And also Zoeb's been great and stands behind his products. Honestly I think it's just a bad stroke of luck so hopefully the new set won't have any issues
Old 06-25-12, 02:38 PM
JOELC
Rookie

Got the metal Hub Rings on today. It seems to have fixed the vibration issue. These metal rings were $80.00 and Lexus specific. They were not cheap and fit very tight. The tech guys has to lightly hammer them on. I am glad it was not the wheels.
Old 06-28-12, 04:26 PM
JOELC
Rookie

Default ***vibration was caused by the bolts!!!!!

UPDATE!! UPDATE!! TURNS OUT THAT AFTER I PUT ON METAL HUB CENTRIC RINGS THE VIBRATION WAS STILL THERE, SO AFTER 3 BALANCE JOBS, THREE SETS OF RINGS, AND AN EXCHANGE OF TIRES, I TOOK IT BACK TO THE ORIGINAL GUYS WHO PUT ON MY VOSSEN WHEELS. FOR THE HECK OF IT I ASKED THEM TO CHANGE UP THE LUG NUTS AS A LAST RESORT BEFORE WE BLAMED VOSSEN. HE USED A THINNER LUG NUT THAT SAT IN THE WHEEL A BIT DEEPER AND LOW AND BEHOLD ALL THE VIBRATION DISAPPEARED!!

TURNS OUT LEXUS USES HUB CENTRIC LUG NUTS. IF YOU LOOK AT THE ORIGINAL NUT THERE IS A SLIM SHEATH THAT GOES INTO THE WHEEL FILLING UP THE SPACE AROUND THE THREAD AND WHEEL. THEY THEN CAP IT OFF WITH A FLAT WASHER ATTACHED TO THE NUT. THE CONVEX HEAD OF SOME AFTERMARKET NUTS DO NOT SIT IN THE WHEEL DEEP ENOUGH WHICH CAUSES THE WHEEL TO MOVE AROUND EVER SO SLIGHTLY. THE CONVEX EDGES OF THE THINNER NUTS I USED FIT MORE SNUG INTO THE WHEEL LIKE A TYPE OF HUB CENTRIC LUG NUT.

IT WAS THE LUG NUTS ALL ALONG! WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT!

CASE CLOSED!!

Last edited by JOELC; 06-28-12 at 04:34 PM. Reason: **
Old 06-28-12, 06:50 PM
o7iS250
Pole Position

hub rings! had the same problem because the a-hole before me bought wheels and drove around without them, and he couldn't figure out why it was vibrating )) so I bought them and fixed that problem quick fast and in a hurry
Old 06-28-12, 07:44 PM
ccdan
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

can't see how that fixed it...been around wheels all my life and what I do for a living. nothing different between lug or hub centric. if road force was under 20 on the screen it's physically undetectable in the car unless the car uses wheel bolts (usually shoot for around 12 and lower) which obviously lexus doesn't used. My guess would be your car is awd and if it's lowered the axles are binding; can't usually tell on stock wheels but with no more sidewall on the 19's it's more noticeable. Same thing happens in most fwd cars making good power; usually v6 cars like the acura tl and such.
Old 06-28-12, 07:51 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

[QUOTE=JOELC;

[B]IT WAS THE LUG NUTS ALL ALONG! WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT![/B]

Any competant wheel & tire shop that's who!

And to the OP anytime you are putting unknown wheels on a vehicle spin the bare wheel on the balancer 1st to see if it is worthy of mounting on your vehicle before mounting a tire on it.
Old 07-04-12, 04:07 PM
JOELC
Rookie

And also Zoeb's been great and stands behind his products. Honestly I think it's just a bad stroke of luck so hopefully the new set won't have any issues
Kuuqi, Did you get the wheels on yet? Any update? Seems my vibration is back! I guess I was too excited when it got a bit better with the lug nut swap that I did not feel it until the next day that the vibration is still there.
Old 07-12-12, 06:52 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

Hey guys, sorry I've been ridiculously busy.

I've sent the wheels out and they're in transit still. I'll let everyone know when I get the new wheels. Supposedly there's a back order on them so this might take awhile.
Old 07-12-12, 09:09 PM
Rufio808
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rikg35
Lc818 that's the problem
I had lc818's balanced them twice, got the hub rings. Even got top of the line tires And they still vibrated. I believe they Are not casted good..... anyways sold them. But they looked really nice!