IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Headlight Condensation*Need advice*

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-12, 08:35 AM
Deathrow23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Headlight Condensation*Need advice*

I have the latest LED headlights on my 07'. which were recently warrantied b/c of the bubbling defect. The new driver side headlight gets condensation, so obviously there is a leak somewhere. I uninstalled the headlight this weekend, and checked the caps and made sure the gaskets/o rings were there and they were from the initial install. I purchased these through a popular website dealership thats on the site, so im sure taking it to a local dealer would not get me anywhere. So basically, does anyone know the best way to find where the leak is? from what i know theres 3 things it could be, the headlight seal, the caps where you install the bulbs and ballast, or a hole somwhere on the headlight.
Website Dealer pretty much stated its more than likely its from a faulty gasket, o ring, or i installed the caps/ballast incorrectly, and i have to prove that otherwise. I told them maybe it could be the seal of the headlight itself, but they still say its from installation. I know yes, it could be my fault, however it could also be a defect on the headlight, which they say is incorrect. So how do i prove its not? The only thing i can think of is putting clear silocone around the edges on the parts i remove ( caps, ballast ) and if it still leaks then it wouldnt be something that i installed but i was told not to do that. My headlight looks like crap with water inside and of course water spots inside.

Last edited by Deathrow23; 06-13-12 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-13-12, 08:45 AM
LexoticJ
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 43 Posts

Can you post up some pics of this issue so i can assist with pointing you in the right direction?
Old 06-14-12, 06:26 PM
Deathrow23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

here is some pics.I dont have pics from the first time i saw some moisture, it wasnt like condensation like these pics, it was more like water in between two pieces of glass if that makes sense, but it was on the top section of the headlight, so it progressed from that to the last pic.

Old 06-17-12, 12:44 AM
ChanIS250
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't mean to hijack your thread, but I just installed the DRL/Parking light on my IS250 and I'm getting moisture inside too. Only the driver side.

Is the best way to open the light bulbs cap again, and let the inside dry in the sun then try putting the cap back on?
Old 06-17-12, 01:43 AM
CLIS250
Pole Position

i have this too on my headlight housings several times a year. usually during the winter season.
Old 06-17-12, 08:34 AM
NSGxLEX
Intermediate

I had the same problem from my set from sewell
Name:  526abcea.jpg
Views: 6169
Size:  95.3 KB

What i did was i took off all the covers on the back of the headlight, let it air out in the sun with the hood open, and just shut caps closed. Never had a problem since and it rained a few times hard after that.

Was it sewell that you got the light from? They said it was my fault too ! lol But air it for a a good day to get all the moisture out. Its kinda pointless to talk to sewell they are just going to say its your faul blah blah blah.

Last edited by NSGxLEX; 06-17-12 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-15-12, 04:13 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just got a set as well and mine has a little condensation right above the headlight unit on the side...i'm going to try and air dry it out and see if that helps before doing the silicone method
Old 09-15-12, 04:50 AM
laoreflxzn
Driver School Candidate

I had condensation in my headlight too awhile back. It comes and goes when ever there rain or water around it...

Now I don't get them anymore...my solution is this:

I taped one of those packet that comes with electronic products to keep moisture out onto the inside of the back cover. You can also tie a string to those packet and hang it inside the headlight so that it will not fall into the headlight. Have been working for me since and no moisture build up.
Old 09-15-12, 05:23 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

i will let it air dry today and then see if I can find a few of those and get to work...lol thanks man
Old 09-15-12, 05:26 AM
skullkandy
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The only way to fix this is to check where there is a leak and seal it.

Pull the headlight out, get a hair dryer and blow it all out, feel for any leaks.

Check the rubber o-rings on the bulbs, the o ring on the door opening up to the bulbs and the silicone seal around the clear plastic.

Get some rubber sealant and seal anything possible.
Old 09-15-12, 05:48 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by skullkandy
The only way to fix this is to check where there is a leak and seal it.

Pull the headlight out, get a hair dryer and blow it all out, feel for any leaks.

Check the rubber o-rings on the bulbs, the o ring on the door opening up to the bulbs and the silicone seal around the clear plastic.

Get some rubber sealant and seal anything possible.
i'm praying it's just a cap thats loose because we just removed the bumper yesterday twice to put in the lights lol....bec i washed the car last night after the install...

i know you wondering why i took the bumper off twice...lol after the install we realized the bumper reinforcement piece was sitting on the side lol
Old 09-17-12, 01:49 AM
skullkandy
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

hahahahaha thats awesome! happens to all of us at some stage.
Old 09-17-12, 04:31 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

So i did the hood open and caps off method and it worked...well so far..its been 2 nights since i did it and I haven't seen anything so I'm hoping that fixed it all lol....

YAY no bumper take off....
Old 09-17-12, 05:23 AM
aspeckt
Lead Lap

what if my HID headlight doesnt work anymore as a result of the moisture? the lowbeam doesnt come on anymore... any insight into this? I already ordered a new lamp but if i can fix this without having to replace an OEM ballst or anything i'd rather do that and return the headlight to sewell. save about 700$
Old 09-17-12, 06:04 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Ive had this issue before and it turned out to be the moisture shield. I did not put it on properly after installing my DRLs.

Try removing the headlight from the car and shaking all of the water out. Then leave it in the sun to dry. It worked for me and I havent had any problems since.

Quick Reply: Headlight Condensation*Need advice*