IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2012 Headlamp Has Bubbling Defect Too

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-13, 11:12 AM
Bdub619
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Didn't even know about this defect until I saw this thread today. Went out and looked at my lights (only had for a week) and yep, I got bubbles! F&^$$#! Mine are 2012 and I bought from a private seller, so I'm probably SOL.
Attached Thumbnails 2012 Headlamp Has Bubbling Defect Too-img_20131016_105820.jpg  
Old 10-16-13, 11:14 AM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ contact the seller im sure he might have the invoice and see if swap is a option....... that is the only thing from holding me back on buying these well that and the price ha
Old 10-16-13, 02:50 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

My 2012 lights (the newest design) have bubbled on the LH side. It seems like it's pretty much just something that happens to all of them unfortunately.

Jeff
Old 10-16-13, 03:47 PM
SeanIS350
Pole Position

Anyone think this can be mitigated by aiming the projectors up a little? Seems that many are having bubbling on the drivers side where the projector is pointed lower and more directly at the top of the leds than the passenger side.

Just a thought.
Old 10-16-13, 04:47 PM
IS350AWD
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looked at mine today. I have it too! Worse on the left side than the right.
Old 10-16-13, 06:39 PM
SeanIS350
Pole Position

So seems like this theory of the projector pointing lower on the left side/drivers side may have some merit. Lets try to further pinpoint this... I wonder if the brand/type of bulb may also affect this. For the guys with bubbling, what kind of bulbs are you using? OEM or aftermarket? If after market what brand?

Has anyone who has been running aftermarket bulbs been getting bubbling?
Old 10-16-13, 09:32 PM
ULTSISF
Lead Lap

I have the bubbling but only on the driver headlight. Passenger still good, will lexus replace both?
Old 10-17-13, 08:38 AM
Bdub619
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SeanIS350
For the guys with bubbling, what kind of bulbs are you using? OEM or aftermarket? If after market what brand?

My passenger side bubbling is just a bad as the drivers side. I'm using 6K HID bulbs, aftermarket, but I don't think this is the culprit. Plenty of others on here are running OEM 4300K and getting the bubbling just as severe.

The good thing is it's not that noticable unless you really look for it...just hoping the paint doesn't eventually flake off.
Old 10-17-13, 09:35 AM
piguy
Driver School Candidate

I'm a little confused about this issue and have a question - is this only for the upgraded lights with the LED strips, or does this issue also happen to the base model (non-LED strip) light? I'm not sure exactly which are Xenon or HID or whatever, so forgive me if I'm using the wrong nomenclature.

I have a 2012 but did not get the upgraded headlights. All the pictures ITT show a black bottom, but the bottom of my headlights look like chrome, and I don't see any bubbling. So I'm assuming this is only for the lights with the LED check mark, but just wanted to clarify.
Old 10-17-13, 09:53 AM
SeanIS350
Pole Position

This thread is about the 2012+ headlights with LEDs only
Old 10-17-13, 09:58 AM
SeanIS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bdub619
My passenger side bubbling is just a bad as the drivers side. I'm using 6K HID bulbs, aftermarket, but I don't think this is the culprit. Plenty of others on here are running OEM 4300K and getting the bubbling just as severe.

The good thing is it's not that noticable unless you really look for it...just hoping the paint doesn't eventually flake off.
So in my mind this rules out type/brand of bulb, but still doesn't conclusively rule out angle of headlight. I bought my drivers side headlight used and it had no bubbling. What I noticed about it was that the pervious owner had the projector pointed abnornally high, and I believe that is why it wasn't affected.

Can you confirm if you lights are at the same height or is the drivers side lower?

In any case, I'm going to play it safe and angle mine slightly higher then the stock height. Will let you guys know if I ever get bubbling.... So far none.
Old 10-17-13, 10:23 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanIS350
So seems like this theory of the projector pointing lower on the left side/drivers side may have some merit. Lets try to further pinpoint this... I wonder if the brand/type of bulb may also affect this. For the guys with bubbling, what kind of bulbs are you using? OEM or aftermarket? If after market what brand?

I've been saying it for some time that the issue come from the projectors. Also to anyone wondering how I came to this conclusion is by retrofiting two sets of 2012 headlights with TSX projectors. My first set were on my 2007 6MT and even till the day the car was totaled the lights did not bubble. Now my second set are on my 2011 IS350 again retrofited with TSX projectors. The car sits in the hot florida sun all day and the headlights have no bubbling what so ever.
Old 10-17-13, 10:47 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,062 Likes on 586 Posts

^^ How do you know its not a set of wires or board from the LED strip heating up that area???

Until someone cracks open a set we just won't know...

I've seen rows & rows of brand new IS's with the problem.. MY11, MY12, MY13..
Its a problem that was never properly resolved and now that the MY14 is out, it will never be fully corrected.

I think your just lucky of that set you have does NOT bubble.

~ Joe Z
Old 10-17-13, 10:51 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^^ How do you know its not a set of wires or board from the LED strip heating up that area???

Until someone cracks open a set we just won't know...

I've seen rows & rows of brand new IS's with the problem.. MY11, MY12, MY13..
Its a problem that was never properly resolved and now that the MY14 is out, it will never be fully corrected.

I think your just lucky of that set you have does NOT bubble.

~ Joe Z
I've done the retrofit myself and have open the lights up myself, hell just to please you i'll go home today and post a picture of the LED portion of the broken light I own so you can see that the only wires at the three wires to power up the circuit board.

Also I need to go play the lottery a lot more since I got "Lucky" with two seperate pair of lights on two seperate cars
Old 10-17-13, 11:08 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,062 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by B16da9
I've done the retrofit myself and have open the lights up myself, hell just to please you i'll go home today and post a picture of the LED portion of the broken light I own so you can see that the only wires at the three wires to power up the circuit board.

Also I need to go play the lottery a lot more since I got "Lucky" with two seperate pair of lights on two seperate cars
Awesome..!!!

Are there any other headlight wires that run or pass in that area..?

Basically need to see what exactly sits on the underside of that areas that are bubbling..

IF ITS NOTHING, then for sure is either the projector or the chrome rings..

Lexus tried the "eyelashes" or those ribs.. Cause they think the problem was from the SUNLIGHT...
But its still hapenning on the updated housings too..

I have the original 2011 ones that are matte gunmetal.. Slight slight issues on them, but not enough for me to worry about them.
(They never get worse, but sometimes depending on weather, I think they get better )

~ Joe Z

Quick Reply: 2012 Headlamp Has Bubbling Defect Too