IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

P/S light + power steering failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-22, 11:25 PM
Ernest02
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P/S light

P/S light turn up on my Lexus GS430 and the steering is very strong to turn. It showed motor relay welding failure please tell me what to do!!
Old 12-14-22, 08:15 AM
jackie1190
1st Gear

Originally Posted by adam`
Drove my 06 IS350 to work today no problems. Start the car to go for my lunch break and the P/S light is on and my power steering has disappeared. Tried ignition on and off a few times to no avail. Ended up having to manhandle the wheel all day to get around..

Dealer service has been booked for Monday, but in the meantime is there anything I can do to try to diagnose and fix it?

I've read I can upgrade to the IS-F power steering ECU if that's what's gone, and Sewell has it for about the same price as the replacement 06 350 part, but I'd really rather not put out any money at all.
I have a 08 is250 my car started doing this. I’m currently not working so fixing the fuse is not an option right now, soooo what I do to erase the code when it appears I turn in off the I turn the switch on and off without putting my foot on the brake I do that twice with a pause in btw and when I turn the car back on its gone. Hope it helps anyone, it’s scary when your driving and it does this as you’re driving!!!!!!
Old 01-30-23, 10:30 PM
tgifstips
10th Gear

Hi
help needed

I wonder if you can help please. I jump started my Lexus with the battery terminals connected the wrong way around and the power steering stopped working along with the side windows and audio display. I then and took the car to an auto spark. He found the fusable link blown and 4 x 20 amp fuses, 2 in the passanger side and 2 in the drivers side which control the windows and also 2 x 10 amp (one each side inside the car) which control the audio display. After replacement, everything worked except for the power steering. The auto spark then replaced the power steering modul 89650-53051 with one out of a 09 Lexus IS Lexus 220D which was driving perfectly but had a power steering model no 89650-53050. The power steering still did not work, just the ps light on the dash stays on, everything else works and no error codes. He then took the module ending in 5301 and put it in the working 09 Lexus and the ps worked fine in it so he said my ps module ending in 53051 must be working. He has now returned the car to me and said he cannot see what else would need replaced and he can do no more. Can you please advise if there is another part I may need to purchase to fix this or what else I should try.
Thank you for your help

Old 01-31-23, 12:33 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,513 Likes on 1,258 Posts

Originally Posted by tgifstips
Hi
help needed

I wonder if you can help please. I jump started my Lexus with the battery terminals connected the wrong way around and the power steering stopped working along with the side windows and audio display. I then and took the car to an auto spark. He found the fusable link blown and 4 x 20 amp fuses, 2 in the passanger side and 2 in the drivers side which control the windows and also 2 x 10 amp (one each side inside the car) which control the audio display. After replacement, everything worked except for the power steering. The auto spark then replaced the power steering modul 89650-53051 with one out of a 09 Lexus IS Lexus 220D which was driving perfectly but had a power steering model no 89650-53050. The power steering still did not work, just the ps light on the dash stays on, everything else works and no error codes. He then took the module ending in 5301 and put it in the working 09 Lexus and the ps worked fine in it so he said my ps module ending in 53051 must be working. He has now returned the car to me and said he cannot see what else would need replaced and he can do no more. Can you please advise if there is another part I may need to purchase to fix this or what else I should try.
Thank you for your help
Did he replace the fuseable link assembly by the battery? People try to repair this stuff and thats a horrible plan that always makes them pay for the work twice.

Verify the 80A fuse in the fuseable link did not open again and Verify it was replaced and not repaired. The replacement part number is in this thread.

Your battery must have been mega flat to cause all that damage. Be prepared for some latent failures of some of these devices.

GL
Old 01-31-23, 01:04 PM
tgifstips
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Did he replace the fuseable link assembly by the battery? People try to repair this stuff and thats a horrible plan that always makes them pay for the work twice.

Verify the 80A fuse in the fuseable link did not open again and Verify it was replaced and not repaired. The replacement part number is in this thread.

Your battery must have been mega flat to cause all that damage. Be prepared for some latent failures of some of these devices.

GL
yes thank you 2013Fsport, the fusable link was replaced with a brand new link from yam6. The only fuse blown was the main 150amp fuse on the fusable link, the 80 amp ps fuse was intact. After contacting numerous auto sparks, the answer is the same as previously suggested. Take to authorised dealer. Even the Toyota dealer said all they could do was run diagnostic tests and then to reconfigure the module, they would still have to go to Lexus as apparently, Lexus don’t share the software, even with Toyota which surprises me. Anyway, have bitten the bullet and booked diagnostic test with Lexus Thursday morning so I will update this post with definitive answer. Most sparks were under the impression that it was a good thing that the 150amp fuse went first ( part number 82620-30170 ) you are also right about the battery being pretty flat, it was, drained due to boot light accidentally being left on for 2 weeks.
just to recap - Fusable link part number 82620-30170 replaced - ps module original 89650-53051as yet not replaced but putting in a working one from another Lexus with part number ending in 53050 did not solve the problem while the module from the Non working Lexus with the ps fault worked perfectly well in an 07 Lexus.
Old 01-31-23, 01:36 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

PS Lexus, Toyota and Scion all share an application called Techstream. Some of us here have the cable and software and can do these diagnostic tests. The Toyota people are covering their rears as they are certified Yoda mechanics not Lexus and lexus cut off sharing their service data with Toyota, so they are at a disadvantage.

Toyota can connect to your OBD port and gather the same diagnostic data and calibrate your steering EPS ECU if it is there to talk to.

I have a phone app Fusion OBD, that when connected to the car can read data from many of the sensors, like the steering angle sensor.

Anyway, you are likely on the right path having it looked at even though it will cost you. I've been here since 2017 and this is the first I've heard of 150A fuse being taken out. Most of them pop the 80A PS fuse and a few others like the stereo.

That said, all of the current had to go somewhere and I will be curious to hear what you find. I'd like to think the fuses did their job, but I'm concerned the EPS module and maybe the rack itself could be damaged.

PS - some of us here install the IS-F EPS ECU for its improved response. Use they can cost more. Another solution is one from a 2011 to 2013 F-Sport vehicle.

GL

Last edited by 2013FSport; 01-31-23 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-31-23, 01:46 PM
tgifstips
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
PS Lexus, Toyota and Scion all share an application called Techstream. Some of us here have the cable and software and can do these diagnostic tests. The Toyota people are covering their rears as they are certified Yoda mechanics not Lexus and lexus cut off sharing their service data with Toyota, so they are at a disadvantage.

Toyota can connect to your OBD port and gather the same diagnostic data and calibrate your steering EPS ECU if it is there to talk to.

I have a phone app Fusion OBD, that when connected to the car can read data from many of the sensors, like the steering angle sensor.

Anyway, you are likely on the right path having it looked at even though it will cost you. I've been here since 2017 and this is the first I've heard of 150A fuse being taken out. Most of them pop the 80A PS fuse and a few others like the stereo.

That said, all of the current had to go somewhere and I will be curious to hear what you find. I'd like to think the fuses did their job, but I'm concerned the EPS module and maybe the rack itself could be damaged.

PS - some of us here install the IS-F EPS ECU for its improved response. Use they can cost more. Another solution is one from a 2011 to 2013 F-Sport vehicle.

GL
Yes, GL, I will repost with definitive answer once Lexus has had their look. They were charging me £150 but got that down to £98 but it will be worth it for having been such a **** in the first place. I'm in Northern Ireland

Damaged fuse link

Last edited by tgifstips; 01-31-23 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-31-23, 02:47 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

The EPS ECUs listed should be interchangeable. I'm guessing the ECU is not your issue. The 53051 likely improves steering a little bit.

Old 02-01-23, 12:36 AM
tgifstips
10th Gear

That's good info, we'll see tomorrow what Lexus find 🙏
Old 02-02-23, 02:33 AM
tgifstips
10th Gear

Originally Posted by tgifstips
That's good info, we'll see tomorrow what Lexus find 🙏
Just back from lexus and the news is not good. They say that the issue is communication and the fault is in the power steering rack being the steering wheel somewhere
Error codes c1511 - torque sensor 1
c1512 - torque sensor 2

They don't know exactly what is causing the blockage without a complete strip down, said may need a new column which would cost North of £1000?
Any help or has anyone experienced this issue after having crossed the battery wires the wrong way around?
Old 02-02-23, 01:00 PM
tgifstips
10th Gear

DIAGNOSIS CODE SET CONDITIONS

These diagnosis codes are set in the following cases:
C1511: Torque sensor main system malfunction
  • The torque sensor main output voltage does not agree with the predetermined voltage stored in the microcomputer, and the microcomputer determines that a problem has occurred in the torque sensor main system.
C1512: Torque sensor sub system malfunction
  • The torque sensor sub output voltage does not agree with the predetermined voltage stored in the microcomputer, and the microcomputer determines that a problem has occurred in the torque sensor sub system.

CRITERIA FOR JUDGING MALFUNCTION

• The torque sensor main output voltage exceeds 4.8 V or less than 0.2 V.
  • The torque sensor sub output voltage exceeds 4.8 V or less than 0.2 V.

PROBABLE CAUSES

• Defective harness wire(s) or connector(s)
  • Defective torque sensor of the steering gear and linkage assembly
  • Malfunction of the EPS-ECU
  • Defective harness wire(s) or connector(s)
  • Defective torque sensor of the steering gear and linkage assembly
  • Malfunction of the EPS-ECU