IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 to a G37S coupe MT???

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-12, 10:10 PM
iNfectious
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you need something more fun to drive, get it. I switched from a 370Z to a 350 because I needed more space. Missed the sportiness and simple interior sometimes.
Old 06-17-12, 10:22 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Well yeah, but they both look exactly the same, so its just like seeing the same car everywhere lol
When I was in So Cal a few weeks ago I saw lots more 2IS than here in Nor Cal, Here I have 5-6 G/Zs in my neighbor hood and see them all over town.
Old 06-17-12, 11:08 PM
Rookie

4 TIMES 4 TIMES!!! I went into the infiniti dealership 4 times that I was about to sign for a G37s. Never did. Then my roommate brought one, soon I realize this is one of those best decision of my life.

SO DONT DO IT.
Old 06-17-12, 11:26 PM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Well yeah, but they both look exactly the same, so its just like seeing the same car everywhere lol
uhhhh how so?! we got bigger brakes and our emblem says 350 lol
Old 06-17-12, 11:29 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mong
uhhhh how so?! we got bigger brakes and our emblem says 350 lol
Okay if you wanna get technical. But 98% of the car looks the same from the outside! lol
Old 06-18-12, 04:31 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wlmngtn310
The Infiniti is a WAAAYYYY sportier, more luxurious car than the IS.
How?

Given the G is slower, and has fewer luxury features I mean.

Do yourself a favor, go test drive a fully loaded G37S. I promise you wont be disappointed. The IS is a nice car, but no competitor to the Infiniti G.

The G is a little slower. (about .2-.5 slower depending on which G)

The G has many less luxury features (this is just at a glance from the Infiniti options page- no rain sensing wipers, no illuminated door sills, inferior premium sound system, no DVD-A from disc, no front parking sensors, no auto-tilt or dim side mirrors, seats are heated but no vented function)

The G is about 90% the car the IS is in nearly every regard, and less reliable to boot.

That's why I bought the IS.
Old 06-18-12, 07:20 AM
zen
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

for sports 350z>G37>IS350, for luxury IS350>g37>350z
If you are really thinking switch to a G37, the 09+G37x has ATTESA-ETS transmission if your area has snow.
09+ the x model has the ATTESA-ETS transmission system and switch from 08 5 gear AT transmission to 7 gear.
10+ same engine/transmission, but the navi is now in HD.
11+ same engine/transmission, but added fog lights instead of 2 plastic covers in the lower front bumper vent.
btw, G37 sedan is faster than a coupe (being less weight). The coupe is for the looks.
There are no major flaws on the G37 except watch out for 08 models, the paint is easily chipped on the steering wheel and a lot of ppl complained about the 09 7 gear AT transmission because it always try to gear in the 7th to save fuel unless you put in sports mode for more spirited driving. Although there is a TSIB from Infiniti for the software update, it doesn't help much for the gear trying to jump in 7th.
These are just from top of my head, besides a IS250, I also own a G37s sedan.
Old 06-18-12, 08:15 AM
Herofmine
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kurtz
No, it's not... sadly they made it a heavy pig when they moved to the 3.7L engine... it's slower than the G35 was... (which was still slower than an IS350).... (they did the opposite with the 350Z->370Z change though which is why the 350Z is slower than an IS but the 370 faster)... plus auto>manual for drag racing

Road and track puts 0-60 at 4.9 seconds for an IS350.... for a G37 manual coupe I've never seen better than mid-low 5s (usually mid-high 5s)

Or for a same sourcer-

Edmunds:
http://www.insideline.com/bmw/3-seri...us-is-350.html
IS350- 0-60 in 5.2

http://www.insideline.com/hyundai/ge...g37-coupe.html
G37 manual coupe, 0-60 in 5.7 (with traction control off- it's 6.3 with it on.... the IS350 with TC on is 6.1, so still faster).
Well, good thing about G you can mod it and make it really fast, it's a best option for people who like to mod or race sometimes.

And most of us went with IS 1st reason relibility 2nd quality 3rd better gas milige than 335i and G37.

PS: by the way few month ago one of my friends bought 2012 G37 sedan and i test drove it, it was slower than my IS.
Old 06-18-12, 08:28 AM
TooFly4Ya
Pole Position

Funny to read all these posts about which car is better Infiniti G37 or IS x50. 1st off, reliablity goes to Lexus. Sportier "look" goes to G37. Actually faster in 0-100 is the IS 350. Easier to mod' goes to Infiniti. I chose the Lexus IS350 because the 250 was not fast enough stock and we thought we could make the 350 ISF fast in less than a year. After going down this path and many months later, think it's time to end the journey and just get an ISF. We all make our choices but if it were me - id choose lexus all over again instead of Infinity-
Old 06-18-12, 08:40 AM
busdepot
Lead Lap

The Infiniti is a WAAAYYYY sportier, more luxurious car than the IS. Do yourself a favor, go test drive a fully loaded G37S. I promise you wont be disappointed. The IS is a nice car, but no competitor to the Infiniti G.
I respectfully disagree with you. The G-Line from Infiniti has come a long way since its introduction way back when, don't get me wrong. They're great cars and definitely more sporting than the IS.

But as for luxury which I define as quality of materials, finish, and details, the IS comes out on top. The plastics used in the G37 are a lot more hard and cheap feeling than those used in the IS and the brushed trim does not hold up well in my experience. The leather is not as soft as it is in the IS and the some of the details that the IS has are missing on the G37 like the soft roof liner for example. They are very different cars with different purposes. One is a upscale sports coupe while the other is a entry level luxury sedan.

Last edited by busdepot; 06-18-12 at 08:45 AM. Reason: spelling fail.
Old 06-18-12, 08:55 AM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

I drove the g37s and it's really nice. I liked the 350 more though. The G handled well but some of the things felt dated and the IS ended up being more comfortable. I would trade if you're almost out of warranty or you've been in your car a long time.
Old 06-18-12, 09:07 AM
Jfourstar
Driver School Candidate

went down that road in february, ended up with a IS350. couldn't get over how beautiful it looked being both luxurious and sporty. was much more reliable in my eyes. everytime i drive down the road and i see the G's or even the 3 series, my end thought always makes me happy i got my 350. i love it and i would make the same decision if i had to do it again today
Old 06-18-12, 09:57 AM
JETLEX
Driver

Originally Posted by busdepot
I The plastics used in the G37 are a lot more hard and cheap feeling than those used in the IS and the brushed trim does not hold up well in my experience. The leather is not as soft as it is in the IS and the some of the details that the IS has are missing on the G37 like the soft roof liner for example. They are very different cars with different purposes. One is a upscale sports coupe while the other is a entry level luxury sedan.
Having come from Infiniti, I would say these are valid points if you're making a direct comparison.
As far as options, TSBs, etc - it's better for you to head over to some of the Infiniti boards.

<edit:> I realize the small sample size, but thought I should add that in regards to owning an Infiniti, I did have a better experience when having my car serviced - both dealership & corporate wise. The only reason I didn't add this at first is that I didn't want to derail the thread too much.

Last edited by JETLEX; 06-18-12 at 10:02 AM. Reason: more info
Old 06-18-12, 09:58 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I was also choosing between these two, and would actually have preferred a coupe.

I liked the looks of the G a little more, but only a little. The trans in the G has rev matching, which I think is really cool, and I also like the engine Nissan based on personal experience (and sound!). I preferred the interior (materials, fit, and finish) of the IS, and I really like the electronic goodies in the IS. The G felt REALLY ready for an update/refresh inside. Plus …. the Infiniti dealer (the owner of the dealership, no less) actually told me that Lexus paint is “probably a bit better”. It came down to what I would appreciate more every day, and it was the interior and comfort of the IS. Then I discovered the "drivers" car was slightly slower and has less lateral acceleration (cornering ability). OK, both are pretty minor differences that I'll probably never see in everyday use, but it sure made my decision easier!
Old 06-18-12, 11:23 AM
busdepot
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JETLEX
Having come from Infiniti, I would say these are valid points if you're making a direct comparison. As far as options, TSBs, etc - it's better for you to head over to some of the Infiniti boards.

<edit:> I realize the small sample size, but thought I should add that in regards to owning an Infiniti, I did have a better experience when having my car serviced - both dealership & corporate wise. The only reason I didn't add this at first is that I didn't want to derail the thread too much.
And that's the thing, I've had a relatively amicable experience with my local dealer for service. So I tend to overlook those things. You can have a great experience with a Kia dealer and a awful one with a Ferrari dealer. People go to the forums with gripes, not with their mundane uneventful dealership stories. So it's tough to gauge real long term reliability or issues per 1,000 units.

I would also note that a larger proportion of G37 buyers are in the enthusiast crowd. This beefs up the population on the forums. The IS markets is, let's face it, an older crowd who are more likely to ask "what's a forum" than if their car will scrape because they're VIP low on bags. But, I digress. My point is that forums are an extremely poor representation of overall satisfaction and quality of a vehicle over an entire sales market.

But, to return to the topic, I emphasize that these are different cars pointed at different audiences.

Originally Posted by Woodrow

Plus …. the Infiniti dealer (the owner of the dealership, no less) actually told me that Lexus paint is “probably a bit better”.
LIES!!!... Lexus uses some BS eco-mentalist paint thing to make it somehow better for the environment. It chips so easily vs other cars I've owned including Nissan/Infinitis (including a G35 ).

Quick Reply: IS350 to a G37S coupe MT???