IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Check VSC + check engine = > $10k repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-12, 07:05 PM
LEXisJaDeM
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Check VSC + check engine = > $10k repair

Brought in my 2008 is250 w/ 46k miles to the dealer due to the check VSC warning light. Turns out that I get a call today that they needed records of my oil changes in order to determine if repairs will be covered under warranty, which I was told is over $10k in parts and labor. Piston rings, carbon build up appear to be the cause. I had the recall done awhile back.

Is this car worth keeping or is it time to move on? Anyone else have this experience? In the meantime, I've had the ct hybrid for a loaner.
Old 06-18-12, 07:27 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Replacing of the pistons and such is part of the new Carbon Build up TSIB, it's not a recall.

If you have records of your oil changes, it should be covered under the powertrain warranty (6yr/70k) so you are fine. Although I don't even know why they are asking you for the oil change records, I haven't heard anyone having to do that yet. What dealership was this? I took my car to Longo Lexus in El Monte for this TSIB and had it done no questions asked.

Whatever you do, do not pay them $10k. It's covered under the Powetrain warranty, and they will do the work for you.

If you got any questions, PM me, i've had my car in for the same issue before.
Old 06-18-12, 08:10 PM
LEXisJaDeM
Pole Position

Appreciate your response. I took it to Tustin Lexus. Luckily I had all records, so I won't have to pay a dime out of my pocket. My service advisor stated that if I didn't have records of my oil changes, the decision to repair my car under warranty won't be covered according to the manufacturer. He said this issue was out of his hands and they needed to fax the copies to the manufacturer.

Just glad this is being resolved. Im a bit puzzled as to why I am having this issue considering the mileage, which is making me have second thoughts about keeping the IS.
Old 06-18-12, 08:28 PM
ms2619
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is this only a 250 problem or also a 350? How would I know if i have carbon build up
Old 06-18-12, 08:38 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXisJaDeM
Appreciate your response. I took it to Tustin Lexus. Luckily I had all records, so I won't have to pay a dime out of my pocket. My service advisor stated that if I didn't have records of my oil changes, the decision to repair my car under warranty won't be covered according to the manufacturer. He said this issue was out of his hands and they needed to fax the copies to the manufacturer.

Just glad this is being resolved. Im a bit puzzled as to why I am having this issue considering the mileage, which is making me have second thoughts about keeping the IS.
glad you got the oil changed record, but like the other member said why would they need the oil change record for that? i think that dealer you went to just tried to play game with you, I owned older is300 and my wife own the rx330, and we never take the car back for oil change or any maintaining at the dealer, but when thing happen we took the car back to my dealer, and they just perform the fix for free is it is still under warranty, and never ask for anything
Old 06-18-12, 08:54 PM
LEXisJaDeM
Pole Position

Advisor stated they just needed proof that the car was being well maintained and making sure I wasn't the cause of the problem by not getting regular oil changes.
Old 06-18-12, 08:58 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by ms2619
is this only a 250 problem or also a 350? How would I know if i have carbon build up
Only the 250.
Old 06-18-12, 09:07 PM
kashmoney1
Driver School Candidate

I am not under my CPO warranty any longer on my 06 is250, however they never mentioned the TSIB to me when they went through the list of TSIBs that I still needed. Do I have any options at this point in regards to the TSIB? Should I contact corporate?
Old 06-18-12, 09:57 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kashmoney1
I am not under my CPO warranty any longer on my 06 is250, however they never mentioned the TSIB to me when they went through the list of TSIBs that I still needed. Do I have any options at this point in regards to the TSIB? Should I contact corporate?
It is not a TSIB that you can simply have performed. You have to actually be having a carbon build up issue...shaking, check engine light, etc. They need a misfire code to get proper approval for the work. You can't just simply go in and ask for the new pistons under the TSIB.
Old 06-19-12, 06:20 PM
LEXisJaDeM
Pole Position

Killais250, have u had any issues since u last had this done? My concern is if this happens again in about 40,000 miles when I am no longer under warranty.
Old 06-19-12, 06:43 PM
po1qw
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

tbh i would get the things changes and go for a resell or upgrade into the is350 or new gs ^..^
Old 06-19-12, 08:07 PM
LEXisJaDeM
Pole Position

I've been thinking about it, especially now after this. Maybe this is just my excuse for something new. I still owe about $15k on it tho.
Old 06-19-12, 10:42 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXisJaDeM
I've been thinking about it, especially now after this. Maybe this is just my excuse for something new. I still owe about $15k on it tho.
if it was paid off, then thinking of something new isn't so far out of line.

but since you owe 15k on it, i wouldn't even venture the thought. you're so upside down value-wise on your 2is that you won't get much if anything at all if you trade it in at this point.

if anything, you should probably look at getting an extended factory warranty if your standard bumper-to-bumper hasn't expired.
Old 06-19-12, 10:51 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by projectdna
if it was paid off, then thinking of something new isn't so far out of line.

but since you owe 15k on it, i wouldn't even venture the thought. you're so upside down value-wise on your 2is that you won't get much if anything at all if you trade it in at this point.

if anything, you should probably look at getting an extended factory warranty if your standard bumper-to-bumper hasn't expired.
best advice for your situation, carbon buildup is a known problem for the IS250 and it'll just reappear again. In addition, I would switch dealerships, go to another dealership that doesn't try to pull your warranty with some BS like this.
Old 06-19-12, 11:36 PM
haris2887
Driver School Candidate

So does the carbon build up problem lead to failed Piston rings ? and ultimately a 10K repair

Quick Reply: Check VSC + check engine = > $10k repair