IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Almost got ripped off at the Lexus Stealership today

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-12, 10:25 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Almost got ripped off at the Lexus Stealership today

So I had a 10am appointment to get my tpms programmed today, I got there at 930am and they took me in immediately and told me that it would be about an hour or so. Prior to coming in I had called and scheduled an appointment and asked for a quote on the service and the tech told me it was free of charge. I simply assumed it was bc my IS is a CPO. But when I arrived they told me that it would actually be a $124. I was already there and I needed it done anyways so I wasn't gonna cry about it. The tech that took my car in came back out at 12:10pm to tell me that they could not get any of the sensors to read the frequencys at all. And that I may have to buy Lexus sensors to get them to work, and my bill through them would have been 600 plus some change! Of course I wasn't going to go that route being that these sensors are brand new and I got them through a LEGIT vendor here on CL. Lexus took the car back again and gave it another shot. It's now 1pm they come back and tell me they still can't get it to work so getting new sensors was the only route. I told them I'll figure something out and drove over to Toyota and they quoted me $95 but they could not take me in til weds. So I decided to goto Discount Tire Co. The tech spent 3 minutes with the car and got everything working and charged me FREE.FIFTY!!! Only reason why I even brought my car to the stealership for this was bc the first tech told me it was free. But from now on anything tire/wheel related I think I'm gonna stick with Discount Tire Co. Just wanted to share my story with you guys in case any of you buy new wheels and TPMS's and need to save some $$$$. I still cant believe that Lexus was gonna charge me $124 and Toyota $95 for what would be less than 5 min of work if they even knew what they were doing!

*UPDATE AFTER DRIVING AROUND ALL DAY THE TPMS LIGHT CAME BACK ON. REFER TO PAGE 2*

http://public.fotki.com/remydee/the-is-journal

Last edited by RDIS250AWD; 06-26-12 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-25-12, 10:41 AM
nociscokid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info... i have another question to add. I just purchased new wheels, can i have a shop pull my sensors from stock wheels and install them in the new wheels that are tpms compatible?
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

After a 15 minute chat with the service manager to detail how important and susceptible to damaged my car can be if driven improperly, i had the dealer do my TPMS for free (it's free, the chat was to make sure they dont damage anything). I already had the serial numbers and location before though.
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

actually, some independent tire shops have the equipment to reprogram your 2is to accept your new TPMS sensors without charging you an arm and a leg.

i know a tire shop down the street from me that did that for me. they didn't even need to pull the tires off to read the TPMS sensor signals.
Old 06-25-12, 10:44 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nociscokid
Thanks for the info... i have another question to add. I just purchased new wheels, can i have a shop pull my sensors from stock wheels and install them in the new wheels that are tpms compatible?
I'm not sure, I would assume they might charge u for taking the tires off unless they can just wedge it in on the corner of the tire without taking it off completely? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I guess it will also depend on what shop u goto.but you wont have to reprogram the sensors since you are taking it off the wheels that are already on the car.

Last edited by RDIS250AWD; 06-25-12 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-25-12, 10:45 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by projectdna
actually, some independent tire shops have the equipment to reprogram your 2is to accept your new TPMS sensors without charging you an arm and a leg.

i know a tire shop down the street from me that did that for me. they didn't even need to pull the tires off to read the TPMS sensor signals.
yeah they didnt pull my tires off. The guy went around all four tires and hooked the reader up to my car and it literally took him 3 minutes and I was done. NO CHARGE
Old 06-25-12, 10:52 AM
TooFly4Ya
Pole Position

Psshhhh, yep most people don't realize "The dealership is not always better" and also that you can take your car to Toyota and they will 90% of the time do it cheaper over there. After all, at lexus somehow they have to pay for those cookies, ipad station's and massage chairs in the waiting room. Well done RDIS250AWD i'm glad you got this worked out.
Old 06-25-12, 11:01 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TooFly4Ya
Psshhhh, yep most people don't realize "The dealership is not always better" and also that you can take your car to Toyota and they will 90% of the time do it cheaper over there. After all, at lexus somehow they have to pay for those cookies, ipad station's and massage chairs in the waiting room. Well done RDIS250AWD i'm glad you got this worked out.
lol yeah but like I said the ONLY reason why I even took it to the stealership in the first place was bc the first tech told me it was Free.99 but yeah I made use of their free cookies, coffee, water and snacks and even the massage chair while I waited nearly 3 hours for them to attempt to do 3 minutes worth of work and try to charge me a arm and a ********
Old 06-25-12, 11:10 AM
LEXisJaDeM
Pole Position

The dealer tried to get me to pay the same amount of an hour labor. I took mine to firestone and paid them $20 to reprogram it. After getting the car back, it looked like the issue was resolved, but after driving a few miles the warning light came back on. I should try discount tires next, thanks for the info.
Old 06-25-12, 11:15 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Just remember most discount tires just over ride your main sensor. They can't add it as a second sensor with a low budget programmer. So that be taking it back everytime. Plus my D.T wanted $15 everytime I got my done. So i went to the dealer once and I'm all set. So when I go from winter to summer no need to go back again.
Old 06-25-12, 11:26 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by laobo979
Just remember most discount tires just over ride your main sensor. They can't add it as a second sensor with a low budget programmer. So that be taking it back everytime. Plus my D.T wanted $15 everytime I got my done. So i went to the dealer once and I'm all set. So when I go from winter to summer no need to go back again.
Good to know guess ill find out when my rohanas come in
Old 06-25-12, 12:56 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

Discount Tire has received 100% of my wheel/tire business since '03. Looks like they've made another customer.
Old 06-25-12, 01:14 PM
linus73
Lead Lap

dealer charged me $100 to program my 2nd set of sensors to the vehicle. even though i gave them the sensors id numbers. but im set now and wont have to ever go back for that again.
Old 06-25-12, 01:58 PM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

+1 for Discount Tire!! ALL my tires come from them, you cannot beat their prices and all the free services are a plus. The service is always quick. One thing they ALWAYS do, which a lot of shops don't, they wire brush the rust off your hubs and wheels before reinstalling them. This ensures the wheel sits flush and you don't get vibrations.
Old 06-25-12, 04:21 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

^Not to mention they use an actual torque wrench at your vehicles recommend spec to torque down the lug nuts.

Quick Reply: Almost got ripped off at the Lexus Stealership today