IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Wood Trim Interior

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-12, 02:52 PM
phillimt
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wood Trim Interior

So I've tried to do some hunting on how to get wood trim on my IS, and haven't really come across much. I know someone recommended I think it was AutoAnything to purchase basically decals that you can use, I'm trying to match the OEM wood (either birds eye or the burlwood)... all the swaps I think I've seen in the classifieds have been for the heated/ventilated seats (I have a base model 09, with that gunmetal interior that I am not terribly fond of).

Any recommendations on places to get this trim from? Do I have to go stickers and cover up my old trim? .... I'd prefer not to use stickers, but...

Do they even make the base model in wood trim, or is this an extra that is available with packages that include the heated seats?
Old 06-30-12, 03:31 PM
linus73
Lead Lap

i have wood interrior in my 08 is250, i hate it so i put the silver carbon fiber vinyl over it. may i suggust you get the parts hydrodipped in the wood finish of your liking. search google for woodgrain hydrographics.
Old 06-30-12, 03:45 PM
phillimt
Pole Position

it is funny how people seem to hate the trim they own... is hydrodipping permanent? Sounds like something I should definitely look into... I'd love something permanent!
Old 06-30-12, 03:55 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Check out the classifieds. You never know what you'll find
Old 06-30-12, 05:19 PM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah I didn't like the wood in mine so I bought another set and had them painted black. If you had the same year/options as mine I would of sold you mine.
Old 06-30-12, 06:32 PM
phillimt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Check out the classifieds. You never know what you'll find
Yes I have been doing this, just been unlucky so far - most have the ventilated leather package, so they won't fit.. might get lucky eventually!

Originally Posted by jbjones85
Yeah I didn't like the wood in mine so I bought another set and had them painted black. If you had the same year/options as mine I would of sold you mine.
This is a shame! did you have the base model?
Old 06-30-12, 08:32 PM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

No, i have the heated/vented seats, plus mine is an 07 so the switches are different.
Old 06-30-12, 08:35 PM
linus73
Lead Lap

yes hydrodipping is permanant! it is a process done under water. it is a film with a pattern on it, layed out flat on water and sprayed with an activator and then the film with pattern dissolves into a liquid and the part is dipped into the water and out comes your part with the new design on it. a lot of prep work before is needed. check youtube for exactly how it is done. i had my engine cover done with a design and it turned out awsome!, however the extreme engine heat messed it up in certain areas.
Old 06-30-12, 08:38 PM
linus73
Lead Lap

if you know how to wrap the parts using vinyl film then get this and do it! i did mine in silver carbon fiber.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wood-Grain-a...33ccfd&vxp=mtr

this will be your best bet and cheapest way of doing what you want while still looking great!
Old 06-30-12, 08:46 PM
phillimt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jbjones85
No, i have the heated/vented seats, plus mine is an 07 so the switches are different.
yeah, it's tough finding 09 anything... should have bought the older versions! oops..

Originally Posted by linus73
if you know how to wrap the parts using vinyl film then get this and do it! i did mine in silver carbon fiber.
Thanks man, I'll definitely look into both methods... vinyl is pretty cheap, probably will wind up being what the final option is..
Old 06-30-12, 08:57 PM
linus73
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by phillimt
yeah, it's tough finding 09 anything... should have bought the older versions! oops..

Thanks man, I'll definitely look into both methods... vinyl is pretty cheap, probably will wind up being what the final option is..
just remember take your time and clean the parts before applying the vinyl, and for the curved areas use a heatgun and give the film a quick shot of heat and the film will shape around mostly any area. practice first.
Old 06-30-12, 09:07 PM
mjh09e
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the F-Sport interior trim if anyone wants to trade for the grey poplar wood in South Florida.
Old 06-30-12, 09:21 PM
linus73
Lead Lap

if i had the grey set it would have been a deal! but i just have the red burl.
Old 07-01-12, 12:16 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

I thought wood trim came factory in all 2IS. I hated mine made me feel like I was 50. Wrapping mine with CF vinyl was the 2nd mod I did when I got my car
http://public.fotki.com/remydee/the-is-journal/
Old 07-01-12, 01:04 PM
phillimt
Pole Position

^ the cf looks nice man. anything beats the gunmetal IMO, i'm OK with cf or wood, I personally like the wood but I know i'm one of the relatively few on here that does.

Originally Posted by linus73
just remember take your time and clean the parts before applying the vinyl, and for the curved areas use a heatgun and give the film a quick shot of heat and the film will shape around mostly any area. practice first.
Will do man, thanks for the tips. I'll have to locate a heatgun first... maybe Binh/Jimmy @ p+h will let me borrow his..

Quick Reply: Wood Trim Interior