IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

front end collision....*cries*

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-12 | 11:56 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by B16da9
Once the insurance company has looked at the car and deemed it totaled you can remove things that are noticeble as they will just send a tow truck to pick the car up. I recently did this with my father inlaws extra that he totaled. I had a friend of mine that had the same excact truck and we switched out his wheels, seats, tailights and removed the running boards and roof rack.
Although, yes, they usually just send a tow truck to pick you up your car and then insurance will never see it again....that doesn't mean you can take parts. Both times we had totaled cars in my family (one AAA, another statefarm I believe) after inspection a notice was stuck on the car saying it was illegal to remove any parts from this vehicle.

The reason is, once the car is deemed totaled, insurance takes ownership of your car (that's why you have the option to 'buy it back'). It then gets sold to a salvage place or auctioned so they can recover some cash. In exchange, you're getting payment from your insurance company to replace your car. If you're removing parts from the car after insurance has deemed it totaled and the value has been estimated so they can pay you, you're taking parts from a car that is no longer yours.

Sure people take parts and get away with it, but that's not always the case. They do check cars sometimes after they have been picked up. Sure they might not notice parts that are "swapped" but sometimes they do....and parts that are simply removed are a dead giveaway. Either way, messing with the parts after they have valued it and given you a payoff amount is illegal.
Old 07-03-12 | 11:57 AM
TooFly4Ya
Pole Position

This is why I just purchased a Dash cam!
Old 07-03-12 | 12:06 PM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

Sorry bout the accident. On a brighter note at least you can get the front end upgrade!
Old 07-03-12 | 12:06 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

This is one of the main reason I love this line. It keeps you safe in some of the worst conditions.

I am glad to hear you are okay and hope the best resolution. Think of this, I was in a 300 and moved to a 350. You could be looking at the same if not better...
*cough*ISF*cough*
Old 07-03-12 | 12:13 PM
B16da9
Racer

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Although, yes, they usually just send a tow truck to pick you up your car and then insurance will never see it again....that doesn't mean you can take parts. Both times we had totaled cars in my family (one AAA, another statefarm I believe) after inspection a notice was stuck on the car saying it was illegal to remove any parts from this vehicle.

The reason is, once the car is deemed totaled, insurance takes ownership of your car (that's why you have the option to 'buy it back'). It then gets sold to a salvage place or auctioned so they can recover some cash. In exchange, you're getting payment from your insurance company to replace your car. If you're removing parts from the car after insurance has deemed it totaled and the value has been estimated so they can pay you, you're taking parts from a car that is no longer yours.

Sure people take parts and get away with it, but that's not always the case. They do check cars sometimes after they have been picked up. Sure they might not notice parts that are "swapped" but sometimes they do....and parts that are simply removed are a dead giveaway. Either way, messing with the parts after they have valued it and given you a payoff amount is illegal.
Guess cali has better people working for the insurance companies. I remember back in 2003 my buddy got T-boned in his 2000 Integra GSR and his wife has a 95 Civic Hatchback and lets just say the insurance company picked up a 2000 GSR with a running single cam .
Old 07-03-12 | 12:21 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by b16da9
guess cali has better people working for the insurance companies. I remember back in 2003 my buddy got t-boned in his 2000 integra gsr and his wife has a 95 civic hatchback and lets just say the insurance company picked up a 2000 gsr with a running single cam :d.
LOL! I'm sure he's not the only one out there

Old 07-03-12 | 12:25 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Well if its repairable you can get the 2012 front end
Old 07-03-12 | 12:29 PM
Hoovey689

oh no! one of our own
Old 07-03-12 | 12:43 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

My 300 was killed in cali and when I went to the yard to pic it up, my tien ss coils and greddy evo 2 exhaust were missing. Insurance gave me the money for the parts thankfully.
Old 07-03-12 | 12:49 PM
2jSC3
Driver School Candidate

ouch im cring for u man dam..........
Old 07-03-12 | 07:19 PM
Rolando
Intermediate

buy the car back from the insurance and take the extra for you and just put a 2012 front and buy a fender simple
Old 07-03-12 | 07:32 PM
PlacidBoi
Lead Lap

I hope they find that person that did this to you. Hopefully everything falls through and hopefully you don't get serious neck pains or anything!
Keep us posted.
I had a car accident with nearly the same damage as you, but i'd say a little less. The cost to repair was 12k so I don't think your car will be salvaged.
Correct me if im wrong but Cali's law was that dmg exceeds car value right?
Old 07-03-12 | 07:43 PM
TRDsportis
Driver School Candidate

Sad to hear that, hope everything will turn out fine after the claims
Old 07-03-12 | 09:04 PM
G85
Rookie

Damn but at least your okay.
Yup you can't take you stuff out. Happened to me...
Old 07-03-12 | 10:48 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by raw10one

Had the car nice and prepped for wheels and meals, haven't had the wheels on for more than a week then this happens.

I was just minding my own damn business trying to make it to the gym, since my car is low on coils I drive at a more than safe speed. As I proceeded to head south towards the freeway (2 lights away from my house) some idiot decided to speed up and run the left turning lane on the opposite side of the street...I was just by myself and didn't get hurt that badly (thank god) the other negligent driver had a full car and decided to run after hitting my car. The authorities found the vehicle but no one to claim it, at the current neighborhood I live in I wouldn't doubt that it was an unregistered/stolen vehicle.I had the car towed to my garage since I've heard horror stories of AAA putting peoples cars in their lots and not allowing to let them take parts after the car is deemed salvaged. I am now currently uber depressed atm waiting for my claims adjuster to come and tell me the future of my car....
That unfortunately will not be "Totalled" It will have to cost 75% the value or MORE of replacement in repair costs to be totaled. I would not want that car after it has been repaired either, it will never be the same. Too bad it was a beauty.

Quick Reply: front end collision....*cries*