IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Which do you think is the safest car brand in a severe accident
Lexus
51.28%
Cadillac
5.13%
BMW
20.51%
Audi
5.13%
Benz
25.64%
Infiniti
0%
Lincoln
0%
Skoda
7.69%
Toyota
12.82%
Hyundai
2.56%
Volvo
23.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Is Lexus safe in an severe accident ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-12, 12:17 PM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is Lexus safe in an severe accident ?

So me and my friend got into an argument the other day where he adamantly claimed American car's are the safest car's in the planet since they are built very tough compared to Japanese car's. I obviously had to defend Japanese built quality with my Lexus as I've never heard anyone loose their life while in a Lexus that met with an accident.

However there was just one accident that happened a couple of months back where a 2010 Toyota Land Cruiser toppled at high speed due to a punctured tire and 3 of the occupants passed away. Now I'm sure the Lexus LX 470 is 70 % the same vehicle. So it made me re-think what my friend told , maybe he's got a point , Japanese car's may not be able to withstand a severe crash.

On the other hand I had a severe accident in a VW sister car Skoda. I crashed at 160 without seatbelts, not a proud moment definitely but survived with just few bruises. That was surely built like a tank .

I would love to hear your personal experiences and what you guy's think , Are Japanese car's not that safe as American or German car's ? I'll put a pole as well with all the major luxurious brands and let's see what the general consensus is.

Last edited by stanjohn12; 07-04-12 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-04-12, 12:30 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

personally i don't think it's something you can compare head to head by just saying "this nation's car" or "this brand" is "in this way" better

it all depends on the circumstances

i've seen accident between a matrix and a 300c and matrix drove away unharmed except for scratches, while the chrysler's bumper fell off and dented............also another time a range rover rear ended a corolla, the range rover had much bigger damages than the little japanese car

another theory i have is that, even tho american cars are "built tough", when in an accident, all the force is transferred through the body and onto the driver/passenger...whereas the "softer" japanese material absorbs a lot of these forces so the force put upon the driver/passenger is significantly reduced....which reminds me I've seen an accident where a mazda3 was squashed head to butt between 2 big transport trucks, the body was literally squished to half it's original length, but the driver walked out with only scratches and bruises

i'm not being a japanese car fanboy and hating on american cars or anything, or saying they are more superior. i'd love to own a cts-v if i have the chance. but what i'm saying is every car (jap, american, german, etc.) all have their pros and cons depending on the specific circumstances

Last edited by reyoasian; 07-05-12 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-04-12, 12:41 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Depends on the incident. And surprised you did not include Volvo in your poll
Old 07-04-12, 01:11 PM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2003 ES300 was t-boned by a driver going 35-45mph and I barely felt it. If it weren't for the flat tire I probably would have driven it home. The airbags didn't even deploy.
Old 07-04-12, 01:20 PM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Smile

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Depends on the incident. And surprised you did not include Volvo in your poll
I didn't include a Volvo because only a Dimwit would ever crash that car. It's packed with so much tech , it wouldn't crash even if you wanted it to

That and I forgot to add it. Thought of adding it later through edit but wasn't able to. Would be glad if mods could add even the volvo to the polls. Sorry.
Old 07-04-12, 01:22 PM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Smile

Originally Posted by greg0126
My 2003 ES300 was t-boned by a driver going 35-45mph and I barely felt it. If it weren't for the flat tire I probably would have driven it home. The airbags didn't even deploy.
Funny and Cool So that's +1 for the Lexus :-)
Old 07-05-12, 01:19 PM
andcas7
Driver

I think for the answer all you need to look for is the cheapest cars to insure, they usually base it on not only the rate of accident in a car, but the cost they bring due to the injuries and deaths.
Old 07-05-12, 01:54 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Categorizing by the country of origin of the make of the car just makes no sense at all -- and of course, let's not even get into what constitutes an "American" car anyway. I like andcars7's response above--this "debate" should all be data-driven. Not based on whether you are insanely loyal to American or Japanese cars. If a car is safe, it should, relatively speaking, when compared to similar cars, be cheaper to insure. Of course, even this isn't a true measure, because a BMW may have higher-cost parts for repair than a Cadillac.
Old 07-05-12, 01:57 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Your friend is stuck in the past or believing old myths. The days of a group of cars being dangerous are long gone. Plus, there is absolutely no way to throw all cars from one region into a catagory, as far as safety is concerned. Each car is built to it's own spec, each accident is different, and other variables make for unique outcomes. The best answer to the question is to look at NTSB crash test results and use that as a rough basis.
Overall, I'd say today's cars are all very safe compared to cars built twenty years ago. If one happened to have poor test results, the word would get out via media and social networking and the car would be ostracized and a dud on lots. Safety sells. Society and car makers got the message a long time ago, so these mistakes don't happen anymore.
Old 07-05-12, 02:15 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It has gotten 4 stars and best bet from IIHS

Last edited by chikoo; 07-05-12 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-05-12, 02:32 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Like others have said, every accident is different. There are so many factors that go into an accident that can change things completely. Getting rear ended is completely different from being hit head on or on the side. Doesn't matter what kind of car you drive - if you get hit the wrong way there's only so much the human body is capable to hold up to. With all the new safety technology they are putting into cars today cars are getting safer and safer, but sometimes all the latest technology can't even stop you from being seriously injured or killed.
Old 07-05-12, 02:57 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your poll answers can be found here

http://www.nhtsa.gov/

http://www.safercar.gov/Safety+Ratings

I'm not sure what your friend was smoking? LOL... comparing a 2005 Toyota Corolla to a 2005 Chevy Cavalier... Toyota looks like Jesus. 5 star vs 1 star

Note that there's not much of a difference between the 2. American Cars have come along way in terms of safety and pretty much caught up to Japanese cars.
Old 07-05-12, 05:51 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Well seems to be a lot of car accident posts from our members and pics looked pretty serious and they walked away from it so I think its safe to say our cars are safe in severe accidents Lol
Old 07-05-12, 06:28 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
Well seems to be a lot of car accident posts from our members and pics looked pretty serious and they walked away from it so I think its safe to say our cars are safe in severe accidents Lol
Not to sound cruel, but you can't compare with this since the ones who didn't walk away couldn't post their experience. NHTSA and IIHS safety rating is the closest non biased opinion you can get on the "relative" safety of one car over another under similar set of simulated accidents.
Old 07-05-12, 07:30 PM
hhss
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I got tboned in my is300 by a driver going 50+ and i came out with just minor whip lash

Quick Reply: Is Lexus safe in an severe accident ?