friday the 13th!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-12, 08:26 AM
ISlow350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default friday the 13th!!!

hello everyone!
i am new to this and i have few questions i want to ask those who been through this situation before. few hours ago, on my way home from work. some idiot in a Nissan 350z ran onto the back of my car on the freeway going 60mph. lost control but luckily not so my cars was around. sadly, he took off while i was still in shock so i didn't have the chance to get the plate #. called the cops, i was told there is nothing he can do about it other than a useless report. So here is my question, if i call my insurance and tell them what happened last night, what are the chances they going to pay for the dmg or i have to pay for it. And how much do you guys think this going to cost me? here are some of the pictures.
http://s1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj550/baobaoboo/

thank you!
Old 07-13-12, 08:31 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If you were going to file with insurance you'd find that police report a bit more than "useless"

CA might differ, but here I'd get the police report as well as have contacted my insurance company at time of accident, expecting my uninsured motorist coverage to handle this (ie it'd be a claim with no fault on my part but where the at fault persons insurance is not available to pay for it)

Calling them now, well after the accident with no report, you might get stuck with your collision coverage paying for it, which is likely to bump your premiums.
Old 07-13-12, 11:27 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

why did you chase that f...ker down? by the look of the back of your car, it still driveable, sad to see it happen to you
Old 07-13-12, 11:29 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

yep no police report they will try to pin u with insurance fraud
Old 07-13-12, 11:33 AM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
If you were going to file with insurance you'd find that police report a bit more than "useless"

CA might differ, but here I'd get the police report as well as have contacted my insurance company at time of accident, expecting my uninsured motorist coverage to handle this (ie it'd be a claim with no fault on my part but where the at fault persons insurance is not available to pay for it)

Calling them now, well after the accident with no report, you might get stuck with your collision coverage paying for it, which is likely to bump your premiums.
Exactly what I would have said. Sorry to hear.
Old 07-13-12, 11:49 AM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call the cops just to make a report. although its kinda useless
then call your insurance, the insurance will pay for the damages but you pay for the deductible + your premium will increase by a little
Old 07-13-12, 12:43 PM
SUPERBRINO
Pole Position

You're collision covers it either way all you pay is a deductible, if you have liability coverage only then you pay out of pocket. Without proof of another vehicle, no one to go after to get your money back calling the cops now is not going to do anything. I am a licensed insurance adjuster. Just get it fixed. theres no insurance fraud, your coverage is there for a reason regardless of who is at fault or what happens. dont let anyone put false ideas in your head, trust the professionals. no guarantee your premium will go up depending on the severity of damage.
Old 07-13-12, 12:48 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Definitely sucks...but what those member whom say why didn't you chance them don't understand is you are in shock and don't truly know what had happened to your car unless you get out to look at it. With your adrenaline pumping you get tunnel vision and cannot think clearly.

Reminds me of when I chased some dumbasses after their F'n headlamp fell off their car and we ran over it! I was driving thank God in my GF's car at the time; '07 Mitsu Eclpise with the ground clearance of a 4x4. I pulled over immediately on the shoulder; the offending vehicle did as well. We got out of our cars; I went to look at the front end for damage/leaking radiator. While bending over to look under the car my GF starting yelling...their running, their running! I hopped in the car so fast, put it into gear, and thumped that 2.2L for everything it was worth to catch up to their car. Caught up fairly quick, but left a semi truck's length between us just in case. Oh, did I mention my girl works for a police dept? LOL! Wrong girl to F with! She calls the authorities and we tell them what happened and that we are tailing them at a safe distance on the HWY. Guess what, the F'ers tried to duck and dodge us by getting off at the next exit and immediately popped back onto the HWY in the opposite direction. After another 5 minutes we see blue lights coming up behind us. It comes up along side of us and we point to the car directly ahead of us. He pulls them over, and we slowly creep pass and park in front of them both...but a few car lengths just in case. NEVER park behind a cop car when he is on duty BTW! Long story short, we got them a ticket and a report for damages if we needed it for insurance. Luckily we never needed it.
Old 07-13-12, 01:54 PM
F Monster
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
Definitely sucks...but what those member whom say why didn't you chance them don't understand is you are in shock and don't truly know what had happened to your car unless you get out to look at it. With your adrenaline pumping you get tunnel vision and cannot think clearly.

Reminds me of when I chased some dumbasses after their F'n headlamp fell off their car and we ran over it! I was driving thank God in my GF's car at the time; '07 Mitsu Eclpise with the ground clearance of a 4x4. I pulled over immediately on the shoulder; the offending vehicle did as well. We got out of our cars; I went to look at the front end for damage/leaking radiator. While bending over to look under the car my GF starting yelling...their running, their running! I hopped in the car so fast, put it into gear, and thumped that 2.2L for everything it was worth to catch up to their car. Caught up fairly quick, but left a semi truck's length between us just in case. Oh, did I mention my girl works for a police dept? LOL! Wrong girl to F with! She calls the authorities and we tell them what happened and that we are tailing them at a safe distance on the HWY. Guess what, the F'ers tried to duck and dodge us by getting off at the next exit and immediately popped back onto the HWY in the opposite direction. After another 5 minutes we see blue lights coming up behind us. It comes up along side of us and we point to the car directly ahead of us. He pulls them over, and we slowly creep pass and park in front of them both...but a few car lengths just in case. NEVER park behind a cop car when he is on duty BTW! Long story short, we got them a ticket and a report for damages if we needed it for insurance. Luckily we never needed it.
Damn, sounds like a super hero story haha. But props to you and your girlfriend for hopping back in the car and chasing that F-er down. What was the other guy driving?
Old 07-13-12, 06:33 PM
diablo1714
Driver

This happened to me last year. Luckily I chased down the ****er and got his plate, so I did not have to pay the deductible. Mine was less than yours, just the bumper was replaced & some stuff underneath was fixed. About $1200.

My dealer's body shop did a nice job on the tri-stage paint.

Good Luck.
Old 07-14-12, 12:12 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

so, when you chase them down, do they get an extra ticket for being an ***?
Old 07-14-12, 12:20 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nosurprise
lol well they can get ticketed or even arrested for hit & run.
Old 07-14-12, 12:23 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Snow
Damn, sounds like a super hero story haha. But props to you and your girlfriend for hopping back in the car and chasing that F-er down. What was the other guy driving?
Some 1990 white 4 door Mazda...perhaps a 626 I think.

Originally Posted by nosurprise
In my story the cop didn't tell me, he just said he gave them a ticket. Perhaps for fleeing the scene of an accident? Idk.