IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus vs Bmw

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-12, 07:07 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

lexus ftw

now on an unbiased pov.........bmw's are great drivers' cars but their interior quality and feeling of luxury is just....mediocre ( to put it in a nice way)........not to mention they have crap load of problems modded or not...and also the expensiveness of modding german cars

sure lexus may not handle as great and maybe is250 is a little underpowered (especially now that 328i got more power) but i always take NA over a T engine....(now that both 328 and 335 are T....I wouldn't consider neither).................but the quality you get in a lexus is incomparable.....which to me is important because 99% of time you're sitting IN the car and 95% of time you're LOOKING inside the car.......plus the added bonus of cheaper modifications because japanese cars are so easy to mod especially electronically..........and even if it doesn't handle as good as a bmw, how many of us are taking it to the track on a daily basis anyways? how many of us are going to turn at an intersection at 60 mph on a daily basis, or at all?

plus it's more gas efficient and sooooooooooo much more reliable....

i bought my lexus because of these reasons, most bmw fanboys buy their bmw solely from thinking "i own a bmw! i'm cool! bmw are the bomb! why? because it's german and it's bmw and i'm going to look so boss in a bmw!"

Last edited by reyoasian; 07-16-12 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-16-12, 07:12 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
The one thing I don't understand about BMW is how can they not have fixed the HPFP issue on the 335s yet? It's kind of a big deal....nobody wants their fuel pump dying on them while they are out somewhere.
My buddies 2012 model just had the HPFP replaced under warranty, and he hasn't even had it a year
funny all the bimmer fanboys were shouting it's fixed after n55.....but nope
dealers claim is only 5% of cars have it "from data"...but i have a friend who's a sales in bmw dealer and he says it is MUCH higher than that
Old 07-16-12, 08:12 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by reyoasian
plus the added bonus of cheaper modifications because japanese cars are so easy to mod especially electronically
I think you have this part backwards, BMW mods are much cheaper than our cars. Their aftermarket is huge, while ours is tiny; therefore our mods have a very high "lexus" tax. In addition, our electronics are way worst...just look at our ecu, no tune available.
Old 07-16-12, 08:28 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

I'd still rock a M3 though
Old 07-16-12, 08:55 PM
M32H32IS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BMW is a performance machine, **** breaks. Owns Lex all day at the track. My IS is 100x more comfortable than my M was though.
Old 07-17-12, 10:46 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by edgeucated
I think you have this part backwards, BMW mods are much cheaper than our cars. Their aftermarket is huge, while ours is tiny; therefore our mods have a very high "lexus" tax. In addition, our electronics are way worst...just look at our ecu, no tune available.
i'm not sure how it is in the states, i have a 2is and my friend has a e92 328xi and we both began modding same time and same part for his car is always more $$ than mine (not exactly same, but for example springs vs springs on average his parts available are all more expensive)

i don't mean electronically as in ecu modification, but rather electronic dependability as all my friends driver older german cars all have a lot of electrical issues, new ones are ok
Old 07-17-12, 12:00 PM
CruisertR
Driver School Candidate

Back in the late 90s my parents 5 series got rear ended by a kid not watching the road....

car was in the shop for a month...

They gave my parents an es350 while the car was getting repaired.... they could not believe how much nicer the lexus drove / rode / experience was.

2 months later my parents had a brand new es350....

now in the family, 4 lexuses , (GS430, Gs400, IS350, ISF) and one (545i)

I tried to get my sister to get a GX470 for her family but she failed and got an LR4.... only a matter of time before she converts to the way of lexus as well.....
Old 07-17-12, 12:20 PM
Herofmine
Pole Position

I had 328i and never had problems, i think it's about owner, the most people think BMW is a sports car and they drive like a crazy abuse them of course it will break any car would , the fact is BMW it's not a sport car it has sporty feeling and it was made for daily driving not for race from block to block.
And another thing if Lexus will make all their cars handle same as bimmers a lot of people would switch to Lexus.
Old 07-17-12, 05:38 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Herofmine
I had 328i and never had problems, i think it's about owner, the most people think BMW is a sports car and they drive like a crazy abuse them of course it will break any car would , the fact is BMW it's not a sport car it has sporty feeling and it was made for daily driving not for race from block to block.
And another thing if Lexus will make all their cars handle same as bimmers a lot of people would switch to Lexus.
i think it's really just nature of manufacturing
all car manufacturers have lemons, german cars just tends to have more electrical lemons
while american cars tends to have more mechanical lemons

even lexus have specific cars that have issues too, but the chance is just lower in comparison

of course maintenance kicks in too, but driving style shouldn't be too much of a big issue if you know how to take care of the car because cars are mean't to be driven
Old 07-17-12, 06:00 PM
Donnf08
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by A_Grasso
Farsi is language that Persians speak. I know this because I, myself, am Persian
It's a dialect of arabic not a language
I know this because I myself am Arab
Old 07-17-12, 06:14 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

For mod cost, I'm not sure if you guys are talking about mod for looks or performance. I know my friend was going to buy a $250 chip that will increase 50HP for his car, but he was worry it would break stuff since he's about out of warranty.

Originally Posted by Herofmine
I had 328i and never had problems, i think it's about owner ...
From what I heard, the 328i is a lot more reliable than 335i (at least the engin related things like the HPFP, turbo (it doesn't have), etc that breaks in the 335i).
Old 07-17-12, 06:29 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

I own both 350 and M3 which I still miss. To all due honesty I didn't have an issue with the M3 since the 5yrs of ownership. Like stated every maker has it problems. With my M3 only time it went to the dealer was for oil change. My 350 been in the dealer for more recall/tsb than the M3.
Old 07-17-12, 07:11 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nosurprise
For mod cost, I'm not sure if you guys are talking about mod for looks or performance. I know my friend was going to buy a $250 chip that will increase 50HP for his car, but he was worry it would break stuff since he's about out of warranty.

From what I heard, the 328i is a lot more reliable than 335i (at least the engin related things like the HPFP, turbo (it doesn't have), etc that breaks in the 335i).
unfortunately 328 is NOW turbo too...

Last edited by reyoasian; 07-19-12 at 07:45 PM. Reason: NOW not "NOT"
Old 07-17-12, 08:09 PM
dackp143
Pole Position

I had a IS300 with zero issues till 185k miles minus the cats at 160k & clutch at 150k. My 05 M3 had no issues that I paid to fix....BUT the actual issues were a bad vanos, needed a clutch at 75k, and the constant pressure valve AT 50k. Now my IS350 has been pleasant with nothing in site yet. Don't even mention my girls 545i... carbon build up ($5k), passenger seat belt sensor, passenger seat sensor, oxygen sensor, and the list continues..

The problem with BMW is that they depend to heavily on sensors. These sensors often fail for no apparent reason thus costing the owner more money. The constant pressure valve is a 30 minute, $4 fix if you do it in your driveway though BMW charges $400 to fix it roughly. BMW makes the constant pressure valve fail just to get you to spend a little $$$ on their lovely services----I would do the same
Old 07-17-12, 08:34 PM
M32H32IS
Rookie

Mods are way more expensive for bmw

Quick Reply: Lexus vs Bmw