IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is it me or is it really hot when AC is off?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-12, 10:22 PM
tedpreme
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it me or is it really hot when AC is off?

Hey guys. I recently got an 2008 IS250 w/ nav. I've noticed that it gets really hot when the AC is off. It feels like engine heat escaping into the interior. I was wondering if this is normal. It is almost unbearable to drive without my AC on, even on cool nights.

Is this normal?
Old 07-18-12, 10:23 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

I keep the A/C on almost year round except for winter (obviously).

There's no reason why you should have the A/C off in California during the month of July.
Old 07-18-12, 10:27 PM
tedpreme
Driver School Candidate

Yea. I keep my AC all the time as well but it bothered me that so much heat is getting into the cabin. I was wondering if its normal because I just bought this car used. I want to address all the issues before my warranty period ends.
Old 07-18-12, 10:31 PM
jgbackes
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope not normal. My guess is that the Air Mix Control Damper is stuck/broken/disconnected. Check all of your fuses.
Old 07-18-12, 10:31 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

minus the winter my AC is always on everytime I turn it off I always end up turning it back on within 2-3 minutes
Old 07-18-12, 11:31 PM
tedpreme
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the advice. Ill be sure to check out the air mix control damper. I'm just curious if anyone else experience engine heat getting into the cabin when you turn your ac off
Old 07-18-12, 11:33 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I never turn my A/C off either here in the CA summer just because once you turn it off it takes no time for the sun to start heating you and the cabin up and making you feel hot again
Old 07-18-12, 11:52 PM
JasonChang
Lead Lap

I always scroll down the windows when I'm lower then 40MPH, if I go more than that I'll turn on the AC. The main purpose is for the fuel efficiency. I rather suck the dirts and clean the interior more often than turning on the AC ALL the times and wasting the energy and gas. btw, CA really is hot now!!! my hands become darker then it was.... got burnt by putting on top of the steering wheel most of the time. Lol
Old 07-19-12, 08:49 AM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

yeah, I used to wonder the same thing, but that's just how I am.

I keep the A/C between 72-75 and always on auto. If the weather is the same out, I half open all windows and let that breeze in. And if I want the hot sun, I just turn on the seat fan lol.
Old 07-19-12, 08:59 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I drive around south FL without the ac on and the windows down. Call me crazy but I dont find it to be THAT hot.
Old 07-19-12, 09:32 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Air damper is set to recirc by default, so the damper is closed, not allowing any external air flow even when the A/C is off. I had mine changed to manual, so I can chose if I want fresh air or recirc and it will remember it when you start the car. Fresh air setting with fan on, gets the air circulating even if AC is off.
Old 07-19-12, 09:45 AM
viprtwo
Driver

how do you change that setting? my car is the same way.. annoying.. since i always use fresh air.
Old 07-19-12, 09:53 AM
jgbackes
Pole Position

Below is a test you can run on the server motor itself. The terminals (pins) are in the server motor.

INSPECTION AIR MIX SERVOMOTOR
  1. Connect the positive (+) lead from the battery to terminal 7 and negative (-) lead to terminal 6, then check that the arm turns to ”COOL” side smoothly.
  2. Connect the positive (+) lead from the battery to terminal 6 and negative (-) lead to terminal 7, then check that the arm turns to ”WARM” side smoothly. If operations are not as specified, replace the servomotor.

In the '60s cars I had a valve that controlled the flow of hot water from the engine to the heater core. Now the hot water is always on and air directed over the heater core only when heat is desired. You might be able to pinch the heater's water hose. If that fixes the problem it's almost surely the servo motor.

Last edited by jgbackes; 07-23-12 at 03:32 AM.
Old 07-19-12, 10:07 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by viprtwo
how do you change that setting? my car is the same way.. annoying.. since i always use fresh air.
It's a LPS, needs to be done by the dealer.
Old 07-19-12, 10:12 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jgbackes
INSPECTION AIR MIX SERVOMOTOR
  1. Connect the positive (+) lead from the battery to terminal 7 and negative (-) lead to terminal 6, then check that the arm turns to ”COOL” side smoothly.
  2. Connect the positive (+) lead from the battery to terminal 6 and negative (-) lead to terminal 7, then check that the arm turns to ”WARM” side smoothly. If operations are not as specified, replace the servomotor.

I the '60s cars had a valve that controlled the flow of hot water from the engine to the heater core. Now the hot water is always on and air directed over the heater core only when heat is desired. You might be able to pinch the heater's water hose. If that fixes the problem it's almost surely the servo motor.
This doesn't help anyone since you don't mention what harness terminal 6 and terminal 7 are from.

the simpler way is just switch to fresh air mode and increase fan speed, hear the air flow, then switch to recirc, and you will hear and feel the flow change. Recirc does just that, the hotter it is, the worst you will feel as your own body will add moisture to the air increasing the relative humidity in the cabin. Fresh air will keep the RH down, and bring in a little colder air as it moves through the ventilation system faster when the car is moving forward.

Quick Reply: Is it me or is it really hot when AC is off?