IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Found Flyaudios Manufacturer

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-12, 06:07 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ldc
I hardly call it bad mounthing, i can only write what i see. So the 4 years discolorization was the reason for the different shades, what's wrong with stating the obvious?
Why are you ignoring your comment about the quality of materials? You didn't see and touch them first hand, unless you are saying that the FlyAudio one is the same too?

Last edited by My0gr81; 08-08-12 at 06:15 AM. Reason: removed other statements, written in haste.
Old 08-08-12, 08:32 AM
Touge
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

07awdis250, do you have a volt meter ?. The battery should be between 12.4-12.8v. Also use a trickle charger if you need to bring it up slowly to capacity. Hope that helps.
Old 08-08-12, 09:25 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

From what he has said it is not a battery issue as the motor is turning over, sounds to me like it's a spark/fuel issue since it wont fire up.

OP have you checked the fuses under the hood?
Old 08-08-12, 09:57 AM
07awdis250
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B16da9
From what he has said it is not a battery issue as the motor is turning over, sounds to me like it's a spark/fuel issue since it wont fire up.

OP have you checked the fuses under the hood?
Yes i have checked all the fuses i will check them again today just to be on the safe side. I think it probably fuel or ignition because battery is good.
Old 08-08-12, 04:28 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Why are you ignoring your comment about the quality of materials? You didn't see and touch them first hand, unless you are saying that the FlyAudio one is the same too?
What i typred is what i see and read about the units. I don't have both but i know people in the know that tells me about these Chinese units (not necessary Lexus units). Not saying it's bad because it's from China, i'm just saying the materials, and electronics used in all Chinese units are somewhat the same. The only difference is the hands that makes them.

Bottom line is you might end up with what you pay for, but i doubt the FA unit would be 3x better because it is 3x pricier.

Also a Lexus is not a Camry, anything mod to the car you do will stand out and if it's bad quality I'd rather not get.
Old 08-08-12, 05:51 PM
keveng15
Driver School Candidate

There are so many different GPS similar to flyaudio on alibaba
can anyone confirm which one they order from and how's the quality?

Also, where do you download the software for the gps? seems not able to find that information.

Last edited by keveng15; 08-08-12 at 08:10 PM.
Old 08-09-12, 12:53 AM
linus73
Lead Lap

they are all from same supplier $480 plus shipping, so it does not matter who you contact. just use the chat feature. im sure the quality will be just fine and couldnt be any worse than fly audio that i have., sure beats a 1299 flyaudio unit, dont ya think? they both from china anyway.
Old 08-09-12, 01:54 AM
johnchi
Driver

Hi All,

As someone who bought this - maybe first on this forum - I can say the quality is very good especially for what you pay. I paid more - due to import taxes etc but for around $500 you cant go wrong with the Non Flyaudio systems (whether its the same manufacturer or not - dont care really )
Buy from the same place mentioned in this thread and you should be good.

I even bought another unit from them for my wife's Toyota a couple of days ago - cant beat the $330 price tag for a OEM looking system - with all the needed trim pieces etc with all the same features as the lexus unit including shipping, rear camera etc. should be here in a week.

for 06-09 - buying the 2010-2012 center vents solves the gap issues.

Here is a summary of my opinions about this unit, the issues I had in the first quote below and what was resolved in the second.

Initial impressions:
Originally Posted by johnchi
Quick update.

I have the 09+ vents on order and that should sort it out.

As far as a review:
Installation - Good
very simple.
Radio - Good
Perfect AM/FM reception.
Radio - Bad
Intermittently the channels will switch their assigned slots after car if started maybe once every 2 - 3 days. manageable? yes annoying? yes
Ipod - Good.
Control is builtin including playlists etc.
Ipod - Bad
Sometimes I will only get sound in the front right speaker.
DVD - Good
All OK
navigation - good
ALL good
CD playback - good
All works fine
CD playback - Bad
Sometimes when selecting CD playback it will default to aux. This also means if your listening to a CD with the navigation on , after navigation gives directions it will revert back to AUX instead of CD.
USB playback - Good
ALL OK.
Climate Control - Good
All works.

Is this system perfect? nope.
Is it better than FA, I will leave that up to you to judge.
My friend is contacting the supplier to inquire about support for this product. If its non existent then I will live with it for now.
I will try to get to the inner workings of the system later this month to see if there are hidden settings I can play with.
Then after a couple of weeks of use

Originally Posted by johnchi
The unit still works.
as for some of the issues noted above.

Radio - Bad
Intermittently the channels will switch their assigned slots after car if started maybe once every 2 - 3 days. manageable? yes annoying? yes

Update - once all slots were populated with a radio channel this stopped happening.

Ipod - Bad
Sometimes I will only get sound in the front right speaker.

update: changed cable all is good.

CD playback - Bad
Sometimes when selecting CD playback it will default to aux. This also means if your listening to a CD with the navigation on , after navigation gives directions it will revert back to AUX instead of CD.

Once I disconnected the aux cable from the aux port - this doesnt happen anymore so while not perfect its not an issue.
Old 08-09-12, 08:16 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the great review Johnchi. I think this will help many people in the long run about buying this unit. I have the Fly Audio unit and paid $1,500+ so this is so cheap! Jump in it people!
Old 08-09-12, 08:24 AM
xpionage2
Rookie

Hey Jonchi thnx for the review!
How is the Bluetooth call quality and the back up camera feed?
Looks like I'll be buying this.
Old 08-09-12, 08:37 AM
penone
Driver

Originally Posted by Sffd103
Thanks for the great review Johnchi. I think this will help many people in the long run about buying this unit. I have the Fly Audio unit and paid $1,500+ so this is so cheap! Jump in it people!
Although I agree it is a great price I myself am style a bit apprehensive - especially with what happened to 07awdis250 after his install. I know that there is no proof that one had to do with the other but still....there a rarely any coincidences.

Has anyone else ordered and still waiting for their delivery and install?

Has anyone else installed (besides Jonchi)?
Old 08-09-12, 08:48 AM
keveng15
Driver School Candidate

Another quick question for those who have this unit, or the 2nd gen flyaudio unit for that matter.

Does the unit use the original mic from the car? or does it require it's own mic to be hooked up or is it built in to the unit?

i've always thought the mic on our cars (10+) are built in near the front domes.
i might be wrong.
Old 08-09-12, 09:29 AM
RA061124
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by penone
Although I agree it is a great price I myself am style a bit apprehensive - especially with what happened to 07awdis250 after his install. I know that there is no proof that one had to do with the other but still....there a rarely any coincidences.

Has anyone else ordered and still waiting for their delivery and install?

Has anyone else installed (besides Jonchi)?
I have installed this unit in a 2011 IS250 and it works great for me. The cost is the main reason why I bought this unit and from what I have read about FA unit, this is basically that and cheaper. I would recommend this unit to anyone that doesn't have nav in their IS.

Originally Posted by keveng15
Another quick question for those who have this unit, or the 2nd gen flyaudio unit for that matter.

Does the unit use the original mic from the car? or does it require it's own mic to be hooked up or is it built in to the unit?

i've always thought the mic on our cars (10+) are built in near the front domes.
i might be wrong.
This unit has a built in mic and it is compatible with the current mic installed in the car. I have a 2011 and it works great, I still use the factory Bluetooth instead of the Bluetooth provided through the unit. I have been told that when I used the Bluetooth that is provided with this unit that people hear wind in the background (its my A/C blowing) haha.
Old 08-09-12, 09:55 AM
keveng15
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IamNate
This unit has a built in mic and it is compatible with the current mic installed in the car. I have a 2011 and it works great, I still use the factory Bluetooth instead of the Bluetooth provided through the unit. I have been told that when I used the Bluetooth that is provided with this unit that people hear wind in the background (its my A/C blowing) haha.
Can you clarify what you mean by using the factory bluetooth?
You can select which mic to use from the unit itself? or you need to modify the cabling?

Also, does it use the original 6-CD player from the original unit and use it to watch dvd?? or does it have it's own dvd unit? i see this slot just above the hazard light button, but not sure if that's the dvd player.
Can you still use the SAT/AM/FM/CD button on the original unit that stays or is all the controls done through the touchscreen after?

Sorry if this sounds like alot of question, but i think it's easier to get an honest answer here from you guys with experience!

THANKS!

Last edited by keveng15; 08-09-12 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-09-12, 10:13 AM
RA061124
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by keveng15
Can you clarify what you mean by using the factory bluetooth?
You can select which mic to use from the unit itself? or you need to modify the cabling?

Also, does it use the original 6-CD player from the original unit and use it to watch dvd?? or does it have it's own dvd unit? i see this slot just above the hazard light button, but not sure if that's the dvd player.
Can you still use the SAT/AM/FM/CD button on the original unit that stays or is all the controls done through the touchscreen after?

Sorry if this sounds like alot of question, but i think it's easier to get an honest answer here from you guys with experience!

THANKS!
The factory Bluetooth is the woman speaking when you press the talk switch on the steering controls is what I meant. Though using this does not allow me to see the phone in use and my contact list (but that is ok with me). On the phone you will see both Bluetooth devices showing up, this is where I just enable the Lexus one and do not have the one from this unit connected.

Yes the 6 disc changer works and the CD menu through the main menu works. The unit has a built in DVD player, the slot provided with the unit above the hazard switch. The 6 disc changer is not a DVD player. SAT does work you just cannot see what station is selected. All you do is push the button AM/FM and the unit will go to the radio menu. The only exception on these buttons going to a menu is the SAT button.

Quick Reply: Found Flyaudios Manufacturer