IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Found Flyaudios Manufacturer

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-13, 10:37 AM
TUNG
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

aw thanks, I'll have to recheck it again, because i swear i didn't see it, hopefully tomorrow night when I get home i'll recheck it and see if it came with it or ima be pissed, i was looking foward for this for months!
Old 01-11-13, 10:56 AM
06pearlex
Rookie

Old 01-11-13, 12:59 PM
jtwenger
Driver School Candidate

Where is the best place to mount the GPS receiver?

Anyone have a pic of where they installed it?

I heard many people mounting behind the rear passenger headrests by the rear window, on the dash, by the rear view mirror, centre speaker cubby and also Dom light?

Looking for the cleanest and easiest install that provides good reception
Old 01-11-13, 01:18 PM
RA061124
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jtwenger
Where is the best place to mount the GPS receiver?

Anyone have a pic of where they installed it?

I heard many people mounting behind the rear passenger headrests by the rear window, on the dash, by the rear view mirror, centre speaker cubby and also Dom light?

Looking for the cleanest and easiest install that provides good reception
The gps antenna has a magnet on the back of it. I just stuck it to the metal brackets that held the stock stereo right behind the lcd screen. I haven't had any problems with it and have had max antenna in iGo Primo 2.
Old 01-11-13, 02:31 PM
TUNG
Pole Position

Quick question about installing,

is there anything else I should know about before installing the navigation? like cutting some clips on the bottom of the navigation?, and is there any DIY to install the navigation for the china unit? also is the flyaudio and china unit installation similar?
Old 01-11-13, 09:35 PM
jtwenger
Driver School Candidate

I was planning on using this fly audio install guide:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...6k-beware.html

I also want to know if there is anything i need to be aware of, or that may be different from the fly audio install, or is the china unit install exactly the same as the fly audio? completely just plug and play?

Also, i will be modifying the 09 vents in my 06, and am still a bit unclear about what needs to be cut. Has anyone actually got a picture showing the modified vents and what is to be cut? I also heard the bottom of the unit needs to be clipped off as well?? or do just the vents need to be clipped. hope to get some clarification on this.
Old 01-12-13, 04:19 AM
felo2081
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

U just need to clip off 2 tabs that don't line up when u fit the cd changer and the unit together. I just left the middle one and went together nicely. As far as installation is mostly plug and play except the wire for the brake I just connected it to a screw on the metal frame that holds the unit to the changer so it would b grounded and worked good!!
Old 01-12-13, 07:39 AM
eightysix
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jtwenger
I was planning on using this fly audio install guide:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...6k-beware.html

I also want to know if there is anything i need to be aware of, or that may be different from the fly audio install, or is the china unit install exactly the same as the fly audio? completely just plug and play?

Also, i will be modifying the 09 vents in my 06, and am still a bit unclear about what needs to be cut. Has anyone actually got a picture showing the modified vents and what is to be cut? I also heard the bottom of the unit needs to be clipped off as well?? or do just the vents need to be clipped. hope to get some clarification on this.
The install is pretty easy, i'm terrible with this kind of stuff but it went quite well
Just check some youtube videos because that helps a lot to really see them do it.

A few things that I'd like to warn you for :
- no need to use a screw driver or pry tool to remove the cup holder part, you can really just do this by putting your hand in the cup holder and putting pressure towards the driver side and pulling it out without having any possible damage of using a screw driver underneath it

-what I didn't get easily figured out is how to remove the center vents, I think the flyaudio install guide didn't show this (but on youtube there's a good tutorial), you really have to pull down the 4 tabs inside with a flat screw driver to be able to remove it.i broke one tab but when putting it back in i didn't even put the tabs back up so i can remove it again easily if necessary, and it's tight enough.
After the tabs are down, ive put an old credit card (or 2) between the right side of the center vent and the dash, and then used a flat screw driver to pull it out. This way there wasn't any damage to my dash, because some people had damage from a screw driver damaging the soft material of the dash.

-the 2 bottom screws of the headunit were a pain to screw out, i couldn't move them at all and they are not that reachable, but with a (real) big airpress it went really good. I don't know if this is common, but there was nothing else that worked except an airpress, the upper screws went out easily.

The unit is really plug and play. Although i didn't find were to connect the usb cable to my usb outlet in the center armrest. I have a 2011 model so I'd like to know if anyone found this?
Old 01-12-13, 07:41 AM
eightysix
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by felo2081
except the wire for the brake I just connected it to a screw on the metal frame that holds the unit to the changer so it would b grounded and worked good!!

I didn't connect any of the wires for grounding, dvd works while driving.
Old 01-12-13, 08:59 AM
jtwenger
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the tips. I guess I'll try without grounding the brake wire first. I want to use my DVD while car is in motion and always thought we had to ground that break wire so interesting that yours works without grounding.

Also, Has anyone installed the back up camera that came with the unit? I have the one that is attached to the clear lamp piece above the license plate. Can anyone comment on the quality of this camera and the ease of installation?

I know a few people opted for a different back up camera in comparison to that round looking one that came with the fly audio. Just wondering how this one is.

Last edited by jtwenger; 01-12-13 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-12-13, 09:34 AM
felo2081
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eightysix
I didn't connect any of the wires for grounding, dvd works while driving.
mine had that screen letting know that i wasnt parked but ones i grounded it, it was gone.
Old 01-12-13, 11:55 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I put the GPS antenna on top of the blue box (tire pressure sensor) and it gets the signal fine.

I took pictures of the finished cut below a while back, forgot to post them. I cut about 18mm I think. If you look at the 1st pic, you can see with the air flap open it sticks out a bit (I cut slightly more off the top than the bottom in a curve because the vents is pushing against the top). On the 2nd pic, I put the foam back on. The 3rd pic, I do a compare of the front of the 08 and 09 vents, which appear to be exactly the same -- so you could probably try trimming the clips on the bottom of the original 08 vent if you're not going back to OEM (I'm not sure if this will work or not).

Edit: I used a Dremel 300 rotary cutting tool; get something like that to make cutting easier; now I feel like I can cut anything lol
Attached Thumbnails Found Flyaudios Manufacturer-imgp3358.jpg   Found Flyaudios Manufacturer-imgp3359.jpg   Found Flyaudios Manufacturer-imgp3360.jpg  

Last edited by nosurprise; 01-12-13 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-12-13, 03:39 PM
jtwenger
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nosurprise
I put the GPS antenna on top of the blue box (tire pressure sensor) and it gets the signal fine.

I took pictures of the finished cut below a while back, forgot to post them. I cut about 18mm I think. If you look at the 1st pic, you can see with the air flap open it sticks out a bit (I cut slightly more off the top than the bottom in a curve because the vents is pushing against the top). On the 2nd pic, I put the foam back on. The 3rd pic, I do a compare of the front of the 08 and 09 vents, which appear to be exactly the same -- so you could probably try trimming the clips on the bottom of the original 08 vent if you're not going back to OEM (I'm not sure if this will work or not).

Edit: I used a Dremel 300 rotary cutting tool; get something like that to make cutting easier; now I feel like I can cut anything lol
Thanks for posting those pics. I think I'm all ready to take on this install now. I'll look out for that blue box to mount the receiver when I take out the factory radio. Did you use anything to secure it like a zip ties or screws?
Old 01-13-13, 12:46 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

The blue box is attached to the metal bracket at the top, you can spot it easily. I didn't use zip ties because the magnet seems to be very strong ...
Old 01-13-13, 04:24 PM
jtwenger
Driver School Candidate

can someone help me out. i am confused how to hook up this plug and play unit. specifically, where am i supposed to hook up all those cables labeled V-OUT 1, V-IN 1, R-IN, L-IN.

and what about that cable that has the "brake" and "ILL" wires attached to it?

Can someone tell me what im doing wrong. i can get sound from my player but no picture on the dvd unit.

Quick Reply: Found Flyaudios Manufacturer