IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Smell from ac vents at start up

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-12, 11:19 PM
jason36
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smell from ac vents at start up

Yes, I did a search and found many threads started about this topic, but nothing like mine. I purchased my car back in May and didn't get any smell from my ac even if it was scorching hot. I live in New Orleans where it's humid as hell. My car's only two and a half months old with 1.3k miles. I barely drive my car, maybe 3-5 times a week for a brief period (to and from work which is just about a 5-10min drive). I get that horrible mildew/mold smell for the first 20-30 seconds and it goes away. It's annoying and quite embarrassing if you have guests in your car if you ask me. I had the air in recirculated mode, but what I don't understand is how I can get build up when I use my car for small periods of time. I've read topics about the ac, but their cars seem to be a little older than mine. I've read that the dealer replaces the condenser, but I'm not too comfortable with them taking apart the dash with my two month old car. Every thing is brand new so I don't understand why I'm getting this smell, I still have the new car smell! Hopefully you guys can give me some great input and advice on what I should do. Sorry about the rant and thanks in advance!
Old 07-20-12, 11:43 PM
tedpreme
Driver School Candidate

how you opened the filter box up? something might of gotten stuck in there. I have seen rats crawl up in the box and dying in there. might be something in there that is causing the smell.
Old 07-21-12, 03:17 AM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Take it off of recirculate for your last several minute drive. Recirculate holds in moisture, fresh air will help dry out condensation from your humid climate. Don't leave it on recirculate.
Old 07-21-12, 05:49 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by jason36
but what I don't understand is how I can get build up when I use my car for small periods of time
The smell is caused by mildew and fungus growing the the surface of your evaporator coil. Your 3-5 minute drive is more than enough time to get the coil wet, which is what creates an excellent breeding ground for these nasties.

I've read that the dealer replaces the condenser, but I'm not too comfortable with them taking apart the dash with my two month old car. Every thing is brand new so I don't understand why I'm getting this smell, I still have the new car smell! Hopefully you guys can give me some great input and advice on what I should do. Sorry about the rant and thanks in advance!
The condenser is the coil in front of the radiator, and has nothing whatsoever to do with the smell. The one with the mildew is called the evaporator. (Freon gets cold when it evaporates, and hot when it condenses)

If you bring it to the dealer, they will check to make sure the condensate drain isn't clogged, and may use a coil cleaner on the evaporator.

For a DIY approach, I'd suggest running the heater full blast for about 15 minutes to really dry out the evaporator core.
Old 07-21-12, 01:26 PM
jason36
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bichon
The smell is caused by mildew and fungus growing the the surface of your evaporator coil. Your 3-5 minute drive is more than enough time to get the coil wet, which is what creates an excellent breeding ground for these nasties.

The condenser is the coil in front of the radiator, and has nothing whatsoever to do with the smell. The one with the mildew is called the evaporator. (Freon gets cold when it evaporates, and hot when it condenses)

If you bring it to the dealer, they will check to make sure the condensate drain isn't clogged, and may use a coil cleaner on the evaporator.

For a DIY approach, I'd suggest running the heater full blast for about 15 minutes to really dry out the evaporator core.
Thanks for the advice! I tried this a little while ago and hopefully it'll go away. Also, I'll always put the ac on fresh air mode. Thanks for the advice guys!
Old 07-21-12, 01:36 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Good advice on the heater! I started smelling some mildew recently too. First time in 6 years on this car. Will try the heater trick!
Old 07-31-12, 12:42 AM
icshah
Driver School Candidate

Angry Odor in 2012 Lexus

When you start the car, it smells like BO and then disappears, First the dealer thought I used Mobil gas, but when I told them that I dont use Mobil gas; they claim its a software problem from Lexus and theyLexus is dilligently workning on it and I should call Lexus hot line. Waitng to hear back from Lexus hot tine customer service since Friday, Have a 2012 Lexus 460 L with 10,500 miles on it, Frustrating,

Last edited by icshah; 08-19-12 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-31-12, 09:52 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

About a month ago, I got a loaner 2012 ES350 with ~2,000 miles on it. And it has the bad smell from AC vents like the one posted on the other smelly AC vents thread. It's interesting they said it's a software problem It's more likely it's a bad AC system design, and they're going to try to fix it through software.
Old 07-31-12, 10:08 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nosurprise
About a month ago, I got a loaner 2012 ES350 with ~2,000 miles on it. And it has the bad smell from AC vents like the one posted on the other smelly AC vents thread. It's interesting they said it's a software problem It's more likely it's a bad AC system design, and they're going to try to fix it through software.
This could be the case, I had the LPS for air damper position changed from the default (automatic) to manual because it always defaulted to Recirc first. Everytime I changed it, it would switch to when your restart the car. This allows me to set the damper to recirc when I need the fast cooling, but leave in fresh air mode all the time. I did notice a slight pungent smell after the first 2 weeks of ownership, before I had the LPS changed, but not since.
Old 07-31-12, 04:09 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All you gotta do is spray lysol into the air intake vents and run the system. It will help clear out the smell. To avoid it in the future after that, always turn the A/C off a few minutes before you plan on turning the car off and just let the fan run and clear out the moisture.
Old 07-31-12, 04:44 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

If I have to turn the AC off a few minutes before turning off the car to keep the car from smelling like crap, I'll get another car :p
Old 08-01-12, 06:37 PM
AggieOne
Driver School Candidate

If it last longer than 10-30 seconds of operation, just run the A/C on fresh air prior to turning off to minimize the condition, however, there might be a is TSB that might apply.

L-SB-0146-11
Under certain temperature conditions some vehicles may exhibit an unpleasant odor coming from the face level HVAC vents during the initial 10 - 30 seconds of HVAC system operation. An HVAC Amplifier is now available with updated logic that will direct air away from the face level vents under certain temperature conditions during the first 10 - 30 seconds of HVAC operation