IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2011 is350 steering failure caused accident can anyone help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-12, 06:17 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,922 Likes on 2,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Autolinks
Maybe I am a bone head, but as I mentioned the steering failed occurred only twice, one time nothing really happened and the second time I did almost have to come to a stop.
How many times does your steering have to fail before you consider it a problem? I'm sure you can understand peoples confusion here when you seem to place so little significance or worry on what is apparently a major issue.
Old 08-02-12, 06:49 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

i dont quite understand the point of such lengthy post if you are not looking for legal advice... if steering failed, why are you not looking at legal advice? Why would you pay out of your own pocket if it wasnt your mistake?

I would think that accident/collision investigator would be able to find out if steering failure was due to accident or not, it seems like pretty sure thing

All of the NTHSA complaints you listed have nothing to do with your issue. Once again, I am having hard time understand why would you say you found all these issues on the internet with the steering and list those, when they clearly have nothing to do with what you explained in detail that happened to you.

So either you experienced steering failure or you didnt... if you did, contact lawer and hire investigator to determine what happened to your car.

If you are not sure if you simply lost control of the car vs some hardware failure, then it is something else.
Old 08-02-12, 06:54 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,922 Likes on 2,461 Posts

The Lexus steering rack problems that did occur, did it make it so even though you turned the steering wheel, the steering mechanism did not move and subsequently it was impossible to steer the car?
Old 08-02-12, 09:39 PM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you better get the report from your dealer for the steering failure ASAP.

I believe you man. Strange things like this could unfortunately happen. Glad that you are ok but I believe Insurance will take care of all your damage expenses right ?
Old 08-02-12, 10:36 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,423 Posts

Pretty difficult to believe anyone would drive a car a millimeter after the steering failed. I certainly would not.

FWIW, there is nothing in the steering system associated with the electronic assist that could cause this. The rack is a standard mechanical rack and pinion with electronic boost instead of hydraulic boost. You could completely lose the power assist and still be able to steer the car without issue.

For the car to go straight despite turning the wheel, you would have to have a mechanical failure in the steering column. It would be mechanically obvious if there were a failure. The steering might be much harder if the electronics failed, but you would not lose directional control without a mechanical failure.

Also FWIW, no one on this forum has ever reported this kind of failure in the 6 years I've been a member. Ever. So, don't be surprised if we're all in disbelief - we've never seen it before, the mechanical features of this system don't typically fail as you have described, and the odds of this happening are small. Mind you, not impossible, just very small.

You need to hire an attorney who can have a forensic mechanic go over the car and determine precisely what failed. No amount of speculation from members here can help you resolve this. You need legal representation.
Old 08-03-12, 10:47 AM
TFD99
Rookie

Sorry to hear about your situation- IMO, just claim it through insurance and move on, it will cost you way more in time and money with no change in the outcome.
Old 08-03-12, 11:00 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You are going to need a good lawyer if you really want to pursue this.

My personal opinion is that if you had issues earlier in the day with the steering, yet you continued to drive the car....you probably won't get much (if anything) by pursuing Lexus. If my car did that just ONCE, you can bet it would be a on a tow truck back to the dealership right away. I wouldn't even continue to drive it to my destination. I'm sure many others would agree with me too. There are just certain issues (steering, brakes, etc) that you just do not ignore and keep driving with. If this had happened all of a sudden, I could see a good case...but if you experienced the issue before and didn't handle it when it should have been handled (IMO) then its all up to how good your lawyer is.

I would just file the insurance claim and move on if it were me.
Old 08-03-12, 11:48 AM
Herofmine
Pole Position

Strange... I remember when i had is250 i was out of gas on highway and engine shut down steering assist was off and i had no problem to pulll my car to the side, steering wheel was responding normally.
Maybe you had problem with something else? I know if your front tire pop you can lose control...just saying..
Old 08-03-12, 12:53 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tex2670
Yeah--to play devil's advocate, the "black box" only recorded the steering failure resulting from the accident, and doesn't verify your story. So, Lexus is not going to just agree with you, and take care of it on their nickel; for all they know, you are totally making all of this up, and you just were taking the curve too fast.

If you really want to pursue this, don't try and get legal advice on an owner's forum--find a lawyer.
The black box should say how fast he was taking the turn. And I think it would record driver steering inputs, too, but I don't know.
Old 08-03-12, 01:32 PM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought this car is not steer-by-wire. Unless you have mechanical failure of the steering mechanism, turning the steering wheel = wheels turning. And if you did have a mechanical failure, it likely wouldn't be intermittent. Something isn't adding up here.
Old 08-03-12, 02:22 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
Seriously? ONLY twice... Even if it happened once, I'd have it towed to Lexus.
...and then they'd tell you they couldn't replicate the problem, telling you there's nothing wrong with the car- case closed.
Old 08-03-12, 05:32 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

My question is at what point of an electronic steering failure causes a CEL? If an electronic function or steering item fails in the 2IS, does that trigger a CEL? If yes, then that should have been very noticeable after the first instance of steering failure. If not, then who knows; perhaps it wasn't even electronic, maybe mechanical having to do with a suspension arm failure of some sort.

Can I just say, this is one reason why I personally perform my own modifications on my cars. I have only myself to blame if a nut/bolt is left loose on the car.

Man, I would hate to be in your shoes; but I wish you luck on your mission to uncover the truth.
Old 08-03-12, 05:48 PM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
My question is at what point of an electronic steering failure causes a CEL? If an electronic function or steering item fails in the 2IS, does that trigger a CEL? If yes, then that should have been very noticeable after the first instance of steering failure. If not, then who knows; perhaps it wasn't even electronic, maybe mechanical having to do with a suspension arm failure of some sort.

Can I just say, this is one reason why I personally perform my own modifications on my cars. I have only myself to blame if a nut/bolt is left loose on the car.

Man, I would hate to be in your shoes; but I wish you luck on your mission to uncover the truth.
From what I've seen before, when the steering wheel mechanism fails, it stores a code, and instead of a CEL, it displays a LCD bulb picture of a steering wheel with an exclamation point right beside it on the lower right hand of the instrument cluster.
Old 08-03-12, 06:05 PM
krUnALv99
Pole Position

Subscribed.

Want to Hear Update...
Old 08-03-12, 07:29 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Individual
From what I've seen before, when the steering wheel mechanism fails, it stores a code, and instead of a CEL, it displays a LCD bulb picture of a steering wheel with an exclamation point right beside it on the lower right hand of the instrument cluster.
Can someone confirm this? Perhaps the owners manual states this? If the data is stored, from where is it retrieved and how long does that data stay saved? Does it lose it after the car is turned off and back on?

Quick Reply: 2011 is350 steering failure caused accident can anyone help.