IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2011 is350 steering failure caused accident can anyone help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-12, 08:56 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 612 Likes on 406 Posts

As others have said, the steering in the IS is completely mechanical, there is no VGR or anything like that. When you turn the steering wheel, the wheels turn. All that you can lose electronically/intermittently is power assist, which will of course make it harder to steer, but if you turn the steering wheel and you keep going straight, you've got problems!

There is a specific EPS warning light on the dash for errors with the EPS system. DTC's should not be cleared by turning the car off and back on.

To the original poster, did you lose assist, or did you lose steering? Was it hard to steer, or could you NOT steer?

I've never seen anyone have an issue like you've described, even with regard to the previous steering issues with the IS, they were all related to EPS motor issues (permanent magnet issues, IIRC) that made it difficult to steer.

Jeff
Old 08-04-12, 07:22 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
Can someone confirm this? Perhaps the owners manual states this? If the data is stored, from where is it retrieved and how long does that data stay saved? Does it lose it after the car is turned off and back on?
It's retrieved using Techstream, but I don't know about an OB2 checker, at the port under the driver's side dash area. If the problem is current and ongoing, the DTC will stay on until it's fixed.
Old 08-04-12, 08:29 PM
Autolinks
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,
Thank you very much for your support in this matter it really means a lot to me.

Just want to clear up a couple points here, as I can tell some people are getting very mad at me.

- Again I am posting here just looking for SUPPORT from fellow Lexus owners. Obviously I am not asking for legal advice, sympathy, name calling & hating on me, I am already going through enough here and if I can get some support from other Lexus owners I am more than happy. If I am able to reach out to anyone else who is having any similar problems or has experienced anything similar then I will be ecstatic.

- Regarding the first time I experienced the problem that day : I was travelling at a lower speed (maybe 30KM-H) the car still responded but it just felt like the tires were not sticking to the road. The second time around the same speed the car did not respond well at all and I thought there was something wrong I pulled over to an empty lot and did a couple steering tests at different speeds. The vehicle WAS responding normally again, there were no warning lights on the dash, I checked all of the tires, and then proceeded on my way. As someone else mentioned and myself mentioned, I DID THINK ABOUT TAKING IT TO THE DEALER however the dealership is almost like the healthcare system here : There is nothing wrong they would do a road test and obviously the steering would be responding normally and they would send me on my way as if I am wasting their time. I understand some of you are happy to call me names and maybe I should not have thought my testing was sufficient. I know this is the forum and people will think what they like and hate I am used to that.

- Jeff: I did not lose assist I have had many vehicles before (some without power steering in my earlier Honda-acura days) I know how to drive I have been driving for 15 years. Even if the assist failed, at the speed the vehicle was going it would still steer with ease. The assist mainly makes a difference at lower speeds. This car is obviously very spirited (IS350 f-sport package) and I do drive the vehicle as I have since day one in a spirited manner. The vehicle negotiated the first part of the turn as illustrated, and then as I proceeded to steer more (I could turn the wheel) it continued its original course exactly as I have drawn.

- Lobuxracer: I understand fully that you nor anyone will believe me, I appreciate your input and yes I am thinking there may be a mechanical failure or combination of mechanical and electrical. I am not sure. I Only posted those related steering problems as there has been issues in the past and (maybe current). I am in the process of discussion with attorney and how I can proceed. Killais250: Obviously I could go through insurance and claim this but I personally do not think it is fair as a new (first time) Lexus owner to have to deal with this. Filing a 10-15000$ claim does not look favorable on any insurance record.

- Stanjohn: thank you for your support man. Thats all I really need to hear, I am waiting for the dealer report it is supposed to be in the mail since last Monday. (normal post only takes 2-3 days here and I have not received it yet so I am not sure if it has even been sent as they have been procrastinating on this whole situation since day one). From my understanding all they did is plug into the black box and download the data, as well as take a couple pictures. There was no physical underbody inspection or mechanical inspection. Also they said since the vehicle is NOT drivable, that they can not test the steering. (DUH). There was only one code that came up and that was because of the accident.

Lexus2000: I am not sure the exact result of the failed steering rack. That is why I am trying to reach out. There are numerous steering issues as I have posted up. There are a couple that are very similar to what I experienced.

Thank you again for all of your time.
As I said before, I am NOT LOOKING for a lawsuit here to sue for money, I am NOT looking to put a bad name on Lexus canada, I FEEL AS A CONSUMER and a CUSTOMER of Lexus Canada purchasing a medium-high end vehicle that they SHOULD STEP UP TO THE PLATE and take these matters SERIOUSLY. I DO NOT THINK spending 5 minutes to inspect my vehicle is sufficient and THAT THEY SHOULD HAVE TAKEN THE WHOLE VEHICLE APART and inspected everything.

OBVIOUSLY I am furious sorry for the caps lock, obviously my insurance will take care of this, but I posted before I DONT EVEN want to drive this car again. How am I SUPPOSED TO ENJOY a 50000$ VEHICLE if I have to be scared every time I drive!!!! Am I supposed to not drive a PERFORMANCE VEHICLE to be able to perform! I would seriously be scared every time I take a turn again or every time I get on or off the highway. My ideal resolution would be for them to take the vehicle back and my lease (3 years remaining) be terminated at their expense. I have owned Ford, Mazda, Honda, Acura, BMW, and now Lexus. I also ride competitively 2011 ZX6R I have been driving for 15 years and riding for 7. I have driven and frequently ride track. For those who want to hate, I understand I am not asking for anyone here to believe me or not, I just want to share what has happened, and this is documented for future and I hope I can help anyone else who may experience a problem with their Toyota-Lexus. I hope also the new release of IS will not have any related issues. Scary to think that the new GS has already had a voluntary steering recall.

Thank you again.
Cheers
John

Last edited by Autolinks; 08-04-12 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-04-12, 08:43 PM
Autolinks
Driver School Candidate

Here is the beautiful IS before.
Old 08-04-12, 09:02 PM
rsg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep us updated. Hope it works out.
Old 08-05-12, 08:21 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Autolinks

Here is the beautiful IS before.
Do you have any after pics ?
Old 08-05-12, 11:01 AM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

First thing I'd be looking for at this point is for failed steering links. Saw what happened to you while watching a WRC race today on TV. From the aerial view you could clearly see that halfway through the turn the steering stopping turning the front wheels and the Fiesta went perfectly straight into an enbankment. Failure was a steering link.

Good luck bro!
Old 08-31-12, 01:03 AM
Autolinks
Driver School Candidate

Update:

The insurance company deemed the vehicle to be a write off.

I have been trying to pursue this matter, however as advised by many lawyers as well as the insurance company the fight will be a losing battle. I have been searching for a forensic mechanic however have been unable to locate one in Canada.
The matter that is most upsetting is that there were no mechanical inspections done on the vehicle on behalf of Toyota Canada. Based on the information from my inside contact (that works at the dealer where the vehicle was stored) they did NOT do any mechanical inspections only download information from the vehicle black box. They stated that the vehicle steering was damaged and they were not able to perform any tests. The manager that was dealing with my case actually MADE ME FEEL STUPID while she was explaining what was done on the car. I asked if there were any tests or mechanical inspections done and she said "well, obviously your vehicle was damaged in the accident, how could we do any further inspections?"

Of course I am extremely upset from this situation however I am willing to accept my losses to never have to drive a Toyota or Lexus again. I hope if anyone does encounter any similar situations that they would PLEASE contact me:

John
416-751-8883
Auto.links@hotmail.com
Old 08-31-12, 03:18 AM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Take it to a different garage, or as you said forensic guy, have him check out the steering. I'd bet he can find something broken that wasn't a result of the crash.

It makes sense to me. A part (or multiple parts) was failing, it failed twice earlier in the day during low speed turns, when you stopped the car, whatever wasn't in the right position got back in the correct position. The third time put it over the edge and something snapped. This is what happens during airplane crashes, weak metal, metal fatigue, etc. I don't get why it's so hard to understand that something like this could happen.
Old 08-31-12, 07:07 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

With a use name of "AutoLinks" and posting on multiple forums it makes me beleive that this guy just wants to "Troll People".
Old 08-31-12, 07:21 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

na I dont think so erick, why after joining 1 year would he have to troll?

I believe what happened to the OP and some people on this thread feel as if they know it all and nothing could go opposite outside of what they know is "right". Weird **** happens, wether you "know" about it or not doesn't make a difference.

Last edited by Vroomin350; 08-31-12 at 07:24 AM.
Old 08-31-12, 07:24 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

interesting.....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...important.html
Old 08-31-12, 07:40 AM
rhodesk22
Rookie

Originally Posted by B16da9
With a use name of "AutoLinks" and posting on multiple forums it makes me beleive that this guy just wants to "Troll People".
Old 08-31-12, 07:58 AM
zen
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Autolinks
Update:

The insurance company deemed the vehicle to be a write off.

I have been trying to pursue this matter, however as advised by many lawyers as well as the insurance company the fight will be a losing battle. I have been searching for a forensic mechanic however have been unable to locate one in Canada.
The matter that is most upsetting is that there were no mechanical inspections done on the vehicle on behalf of Toyota Canada. Based on the information from my inside contact (that works at the dealer where the vehicle was stored) they did NOT do any mechanical inspections only download information from the vehicle black box. They stated that the vehicle steering was damaged and they were not able to perform any tests. The manager that was dealing with my case actually MADE ME FEEL STUPID while she was explaining what was done on the car. I asked if there were any tests or mechanical inspections done and she said "well, obviously your vehicle was damaged in the accident, how could we do any further inspections?"

Of course I am extremely upset from this situation however I am willing to accept my losses to never have to drive a Toyota or Lexus again. I hope if anyone does encounter any similar situations that they would PLEASE contact me:

John
416-751-8883
Auto.links@hotmail.com
I agree with the result from Lexus as to they can't tell if it's from the mechanical steering components failure since the car's front end was crashed. I think probably the rack n pinion had mechanical failure before the accident therefore when you turned your steering wheel, but the vehicle still went straight.
The people here were just telling you when you first noticed the steering failure that you should've taken the vehicle to Lexus and have it checked. However, what's done is done and what's past is in the past, and it's very difficult to prove that it was indeed a mechanical failure as you claimed to have caused the accident.
I would recommend you to ask the Lexus dearship to check the gears inside the rack n pinion components, however the rack n pinion needs to be not too serverly damaged from the accident at the first place. If the rack n pinion appears to be in a good shape on the outside, but inside the gears have damages then you may have your case against Lexus.
sorry for your lost and glad you were ok !
Old 09-23-12, 02:00 AM
invictuz
Driver School Candidate

Default My recent complete loss of power

I read to about half way of page 2.

From a very recent experience i can say that even complete power failure does not prevent steering.
I did become more difficult but not impossible.

Long story short: bad oil change lead to oil saturating my alternator, which died, draining my battery.
1st thing i noticed was my sound cut out, 10-15 seconds later (and already looking for somewhere to pull off) my stereo shutoff, before i real realized and while traveling about 45mph my engine cut off.

This occurred while on a curving road.
Even with the engine off i was able to finish the curve and take the 1st right on to a side street.
Breaking was odd...at 1st no responce then a sudden stop...i let off the breaks cause i was not where i wanted to be...it rolled, i hit breaks...2 sec later sudden stop where i wanted to be.

So unless it was internal mechnical failure of the rack - n - pinion it was a PEBCAS (k swapped out for S)

Quick Reply: 2011 is350 steering failure caused accident can anyone help.