IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Oil Filter Change: What tool to open up the bolt that lead to the small o-ring?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-12, 09:43 AM
mgsvr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Filter Change: What tool to open up the bolt that lead to the small o-ring?

Hi guys,

Today I just did my first DIY oil change on my '11 IS250. I've read everywhere from the DIY guides that the required tools are the 14mm and 10mm socket. However, when I get to the oil filter, the bolt that open up the small o-ring and to insert the plastic piece is not a 10mm socket! It is a small square hole (3/8" size?) which I have to get for the next time. Most of the guides I read people just use a 10mm socket to open it.

Is it alright if I do not change the small o-ring this time? Any harm at all for not changing it? Or if it's possible, can I later open that bolt and replace the small o-ring after I get the 3/8" wrench.

Thank you guys!

Last edited by mgsvr; 08-16-12 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-16-12, 10:52 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

You can use your 3/8" drive socket most likely.
Old 08-16-12, 11:42 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Which small o-ring are you talking about.... Theres the bolt on the oil pan, and the oil filter housing you remove to replace the filter, and there is an o-ring on the oil filter housing you replace.
Old 08-16-12, 11:49 AM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Honestly you can skip that step; jump straight to removing the entire canister using the Toyota-specific oil filter wrench.
Old 08-16-12, 12:45 PM
mgsvr
Driver School Candidate

@heyarms: Well, before you remove the whole canister out, there is a 3/8" bolt that you need to take out to change the small o-ring and pop in the plastic oil drain pipe. If you take the whole canister out then that is the large o-ring.

@Gville350: Thanks. I will make sure to replace it on the next oil change.
Old 08-16-12, 01:34 PM
tedward88
Pole Position

Its like you said, we take the whole canister out, there is no reason for us to replace the smaller o-ring unless its leaking.

Is your IS250 AWD? Mine is AWD and the oil filters I usually buy come with a small o-ring and the plastic tube thing, but we don't use it either, other Toyota/Lexus that use the same filter use the little plastic tube and the o-ring to bleed the oil out.
Old 08-16-12, 02:37 PM
mgsvr
Driver School Candidate

Yes, mine is a IS250 AWD. I guess not many people use the plastic pipe to drain the oil and replace the small o-ring. That is the method many some of our forum members say as the correct way to drain the oil by using the pipe.
Old 08-16-12, 10:10 PM
IS2FIFTY
Lead Lap

I've tried getting to the small o-ring but never could, so i never changed it.....I hope its okay not to change it lol
Old 08-17-12, 09:30 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an 07 RWD and I've never had to change out any O ring or ever used the plastic deal that came with the filters. not sure if this helped or not.
Old 08-17-12, 09:35 AM
2slixx
Lexus Test Driver

Go to AutoZone, Pepboys, Kragens and just buy the Toyota Oil Filter Socket. Connect that to your ratchet and you should be able to completely remove the housing for the oil filter.
Old 08-17-12, 10:58 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,355 Posts

I've been following this thread since it's inception and well, I'll add my two cents. First off, as you can see by my sig, we have two Lexus, my F and my wife's ES. My oil filter is mounted horizontally and the one on the ES is mounted vertically. The horizontally mounted filter doesn't have the drain piece with the small O ring, I sure wish it did. That little drain makes removing the filter housing a lot cleaner because all the residual oil from the vertically mounted housing is released through the small drain before you remove the housing. It just messy on the F. I'm old school and lubricate the gaskets with Vaseline rather than motor oil.

So yes, IMHO, the filter housing drain should be removed at each oil change and the small O ring lubed and replaced.

Lou
Old 08-17-12, 11:45 AM
IS_Sunny
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2slixx
Go to AutoZone, Pepboys, Kragens and just buy the Toyota Oil Filter Socket. Connect that to your ratchet and you should be able to completely remove the housing for the oil filter.
I guess my canister was just on super tight, but I broke 3 of these Autozone socket attachments trying to get this part open.

I first bought the plastic cheapo one; that broke within 10 seconds on my first try to turn it... just exploded.
I then got two more (one from Discount Auto) which were made of a thin metal (like $12 or so), and both of these broke. One shattered and the other stripped itself out.

I was able to return all three and finally bit the bullet and paid $40 at the local Toyota Dealership for the actual SST part. It didn't look much different from the other metal ones, but I'll be damned if I didn't put it on, turn it... and boom, the canister opened right up no problem.

That's my story
Old 08-17-12, 12:36 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,355 Posts

I have this one:

Amazon Amazon

I have broken cheaper ones also, not on my cars, but on a friend's F. The dealer put his filter assembly on super tight and boom, the wrench fell apart. I have bolted on a socket to the wrench so it's always ready to go.

Remember, never tighten the filter assembly with a wrench, hand tighten only.

Lou
Old 08-17-12, 04:32 PM
UtoyZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've always wondered what the small ring is for. idk if all oil filter housings are the same because i coulda sworn mine doesnt have an opening for the plastic tube to go. i wish somebody can post a picture of what it looks like using that plastic tube
Old 08-17-12, 05:07 PM
SeanIS350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ +1 I've never seen a place to put the small o-ring on my IS350 either. I always just throw it out.

Quick Reply: Oil Filter Change: What tool to open up the bolt that lead to the small o-ring?