IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

TPMS battery died. Any way to salvage the car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-12, 04:20 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyT
Look, if people could afford to replace these sensors every time the stupid $5 battery died there wouldn't be such a wealth of threads detailing hacks with pipe bombs and duct tape and crap. It appears that the normal cost of these sensors is around $500 plus another $100 for mounting/balancing and then a trip to the dealership for an additional $150 a$$fck. Yeah, maybe I can get some cheap knock-off sensors for $300 or so but they'll only last a year or two, assuming the dealer is able to program them.

So, lets talk about that keyfob. My dealer charges $450 for a replacement fob and reprogramming, making the fob vastly less expensive than the TPMS sensor. So what if they deliberately glued in the battery so that you had to go to the dealer and pay $450 every time the keyfob battery died? Everyone likes that idea?

I think you guys are defending the TPMS because you haven't yet had to deal with it. At some point in your life you'll see an $800 charge on your credit card for $20 worth of batteries and you'll probably find yourself asking the same questions I am:
- Why the hell is there a freakin' battery in there to begin with? That's the most idiotic and complicated method imaginable for powering the sensor.
- Why the hell didn't the tire shop just throw a new watch battery in there while the tire was off? Oh, because Lexus deliberately glued the battery in precisely to prevent that.
- Who can I sue for this very deliberate scheme to extort money?
Do yourself a favor and do not go to the dealer, thats how you end up with that $800 charge. The TPMS sensors are not that expensive.

If you really are serious about suing somebody over this, I hope you have a lot of money because I dont think any lawyer will take your case
Old 08-23-12, 04:21 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

I've dealt with tpms twice now had to get a set for every set of rims I bought. I'm not rich I'm a middle class guy Workin two jobs to make ends meet and enjoy life a little. This is a bit embarrassing man u bought a Lexus but u can't pay to maintain it? If u couldn't afford a $40-$50 sensor how could u afford a 30k car? Do u complain when u have to fill up gas? The tire shop wouldn't know ur battery on the sensor is dead til they hold the machine up to the wheel to program ur sensors. It's not in the proceedure to check the sensor when its not on the wheel especially since it was fine when u came in. And there's nothin stupid about tpms especially when it will tell u that ur tire is low on psi while ure driving before ur tire blows and u mess up ur rims and alignment or your whole car. I don't know where u got ur prices but tpms is $200 for a set at most and like I told u discount tire co programs them for free. If anything they will charge u for putting it in but I doubt it would be more than $50 but apparently $50 is too much for u. Tpms don't break all the time. I'd hate to see how you'd react if you ran out of windshield washer fluid and had to fill that up. Who can u sue for this? Seriously guy, get over it and buy a older car with less technology and maybe you'll learn to appreciate your Lexus more.
Old 08-23-12, 04:26 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Aftermarket, or OEM from Sewell with CL discount (82/each). Are you sure they're all dead? Wy would they all die at the same time at the same time of a blowout? Seems like maybe your tire shop might be trying to screw you? I could see the blowout tire maybe being dead since the blowout though, but not ALL at the same time... Just curious.
Old 08-23-12, 04:27 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

First off everyone on you cause of how your wording this issues. All you had to do is ask how much it cost and how to go about it. Not talk about civil suits over tpms it make it childish. By the way most of use search and alot smarter not to pay the dealer without doing our homework. There for we will never pay $800 . TPMS $25 each off ebay for orginal toyota one. Reprogram discount tire or tire warehouse $15 all four.By the way i hope they put in the right tire pressure if not then they're one stupid shop cause the light will stay on. Another note make sure they didnt break your sensor on install.

Last edited by laobo979; 08-23-12 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-23-12, 05:27 PM
JeremyT
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the vast majority of people will pay whatever the dealer or tire shop charges, which is about $800. Lexus deliberately glued the battery to ensure this income. It's a blatantly unethical ploy to extort money and usually when large corporations band together to systematically extract money from consumers in an obviously unethical manner, class action lawsuits follow. I don't think I'm that far off here. Again, the keyfob only costs $450 to replace/reprogram yet they made the battery replaceable, why do $800 sensors not have the same "luxury"?

heyarms: I don't know what's going on with the tire shop. I didn't have a blowout, just a slow leak and drove just a short distance on the low tire. All the sensors were working fine and now suddenly at least one is not. They held a scanner to each wheel and said that both fronts were dead. Seems strange indeed but then again the car is 7 years old and the batteries are supposed to last 7 years.

RDIS250: An '06 is250 goes for about $16K-$18K so yeah, $800 is a big repair bill. And yes, even $50 is too much for me to pay. If you can afford $50 I'll gladly sell you a watch battery anytime.
Old 08-23-12, 06:00 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Again sensor aren't $800 but please go forward with your civil suit. I love to hear this out come after you go to court.
Old 08-23-12, 06:22 PM
vicsis250
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sewell charges $350 for the sensors. Is there a cheaper source for OEM replacements? Or are you suggesting the aftermarket parts which will have an unknown lifespan.
Look on carid.com they sell TPMS sensors for 200.00 for the set and they will send instruction on how to program them.
Old 08-23-12, 06:24 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
I've dealt with tpms twice now had to get a set for every set of rims I bought. I'm not rich I'm a middle class guy Workin two jobs to make ends meet and enjoy life a little. This is a bit embarrassing man u bought a Lexus but u can't pay to maintain it? If u couldn't afford a $40-$50 sensor how could u afford a 30k car? Do u complain when u have to fill up gas? The tire shop wouldn't know ur battery on the sensor is dead til they hold the machine up to the wheel to program ur sensors. It's not in the proceedure to check the sensor when its not on the wheel especially since it was fine when u came in. And there's nothin stupid about tpms especially when it will tell u that ur tire is low on psi while ure driving before ur tire blows and u mess up ur rims and alignment or your whole car. I don't know where u got ur prices but tpms is $200 for a set at most and like I told u discount tire co programs them for free. If anything they will charge u for putting it in but I doubt it would be more than $50 but apparently $50 is too much for u. Tpms don't break all the time. I'd hate to see how you'd react if you ran out of windshield washer fluid and had to fill that up. Who can u sue for this? Seriously guy, get over it and buy a older car with less technology and maybe you'll learn to appreciate your Lexus more.
Couldnt have said it better. Close this thread.
Old 08-23-12, 06:39 PM
rog1206
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Back to America's Tire the next day and they hold a flux capacitor up to each wheel and conclude that both front sensors are bad. Sure, the 7 year expected lifespan ends today, but really? Both at the same time? At the same time as my tire change? Anyway, they say they'll order some and get them installed for me tomorrow and I head on my way, assuming they meant this would be free or for a nominal charge.
Did they guy using the flux capacitor also drive a Delorean too?

I was able to get a set of 4 off Ebay for less than a $100 so look around on there and you might find some good deals.
Old 08-23-12, 06:45 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Well, the vast majority of people will pay whatever the dealer or tire shop charges, which is about $800. Lexus deliberately glued the battery to ensure this income. It's a blatantly unethical ploy to extort money and usually when large corporations band together to systematically extract money from consumers in an obviously unethical manner, class action lawsuits follow. I don't think I'm that far off here. Again, the keyfob only costs $450 to replace/reprogram yet they made the battery replaceable, why do $800 sensors not have the same "luxury"?

heyarms: I don't know what's going on with the tire shop. I didn't have a blowout, just a slow leak and drove just a short distance on the low tire. All the sensors were working fine and now suddenly at least one is not. They held a scanner to each wheel and said that both fronts were dead. Seems strange indeed but then again the car is 7 years old and the batteries are supposed to last 7 years.

RDIS250: An '06 is250 goes for about $16K-$18K so yeah, $800 is a big repair bill. And yes, even $50 is too much for me to pay. If you can afford $50 I'll gladly sell you a watch battery anytime.
You should really let this one go man, I told you how to go about this and so did others, or take off your tin foil hat. There's no conspiracy here. If you think there is, what do you think about regular scheduled maintenance that costs $XXX? What do you think about our cars stock alignment that chews tires relatively quick? Just because you have a repair bill on a 7 year old car, doesn't mean the world is over. You're car is 7 years old... And if $50 is too much for you, as you said, you must think were all millionaires who buys wheels and body kits from Japan.

eBay, oem, or file your flawed lawsuit.
Old 08-23-12, 06:45 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Well most of us on here arent the "vast majority" so we wouldnt let anyone charge us that outrageous price for TPMS sensors. You have to admit that wanting to file a civil lawsuit over TPMS sensors is a bit ridiculous, I mean Lexus isnt the only manufacturer that uses them.

It seems as your a bit ticked off at what happened, which is fine. Being mad at the tire place who may have messed up your sensors is one thing, but wanting to file a lawsuit over the sensors is a bit foolish.

Honestly, its like getting mad because your tires have worn out and you need to pay a "$800 bill" to get new tires. TPMS arent exactly a wear and tear item like tires, but you cant expect them to live forever. You even said it yourself that they died after the 7 year life expectancy period so you would need to EVENTUALLY replace them
Old 08-23-12, 07:24 PM
dgsx1997
Driver School Candidate

Odd question, but how old are you?

Cars are expensive, tires are expensive and technology is expensive. I'm rather confused why someone with a 18k car would flip out about glued in batteries on a part that takes a crap ton of centrifugal force . Shocker it's not a free floating battery, eh?

You are far off base...Lawyer, salvage car, new car. This all for $200 if you do it right and quit acting immature about the situation. Lexus is expensive, expect service to follow suit.

Last edited by dgsx1997; 08-23-12 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-23-12, 08:05 PM
po1qw
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

sell your car and take the train/bus problem solved. no lawsuit need
Old 08-23-12, 09:00 PM
8lastoff
Driver

- Why the hell is there a freakin' battery in there to begin with? That's the most idiotic and complicated method imaginable for powering the sensor.
Just wondering how else they would power a sensor locked inside the tire...... That is not meant to be stationary.........I guess they could have provided constant power from the car battery with a wire right?..... Oh wait LOL I'm just messing with you bud.

Look, just like everyone here has already said, TPMS are not that expensive. Don't sweat the small stuff bud....and TPMS is definitely "the small stuff" with things to fix on our Lexus'

Check it out, I even found someone on CL (and in California even) that is selling their TPMS for a very reasonable price........

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is2...ensors-fs.html
Old 08-23-12, 10:52 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 770 Likes on 664 Posts

Sewell charges $350 for the sensors. Is there a cheaper source for OEM replacements? Or are you suggesting the aftermarket parts which will have an unknown lifespan.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TPMS-fits-Le...1e51d0&vxp=mtr

TPMS are there for our safety! After the whole firestone tires on ford explorer deaths, companies were inventing tools to make it safer.

Everything you buy does not have to come from the dealer or sewell. There are many aftermarket parts that are just as good and if not better then oem. You need to be wise in researching before purchasing. Dealers are out to make profit from you!

Quick Reply: TPMS battery died. Any way to salvage the car?