IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

TPMS battery died. Any way to salvage the car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-12, 11:44 PM
meefer
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds like a raw deal. I'd just push the car into the nearest river and use the insurance money to buy a bicycle since you apparently have the only Lexus in the world worth less than the cost of scrap metal.

Seriously, if you're going to get upset about this as a maintenance cost, downgrade to something less complicated. Or wait till you see what the dealer's going to charge you for the spark plug swap and REALLY blow your lid.
Old 08-24-12, 12:13 AM
topspeed55
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As soon as I read flux capacitor I knew this guy was a troll, don't feed the troll. Better yet ban this idiot!
Old 08-24-12, 12:13 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 08-24-12, 02:11 AM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I say.. buy a tire pressure gauge(a digital one) and check the tire pressure yourself. I've been to America's tire like over 20 times and all those times.. they don't put enough air in my tires. (20-25psi)
Old 08-24-12, 08:23 AM
rhodesk22
Rookie

Originally Posted by topspeed55
As soon as I read flux capacitor I knew this guy was a troll, don't feed the troll. Better yet ban this idiot!
My day keeps getting better!
Old 08-24-12, 08:54 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Let's all chill. Why do we have these TPMS systems on our cars? Because the average Jack or Jill is too lazy, that's right, LAZY to maintain proper pressures in their tires. A few people get killed with poor tire maintenance and our friendly Federal government sees a need to have these systems put on all of our cars. That's the result of the lousy way we vote, or don't even vote in many cases. $800 over 7 years comes out to about $2 a week if you have it done at the dealer, much less if you shop around. That doesn't sound exorbitant to me. I'm amazed at people who will put $40k down for a car and then cry when they have to pay for maintenance. Let's just move on, there is nothing to see here.
Old 08-24-12, 09:10 AM
SatxIS350
Driver School Candidate

this character has his mind made up and we are not going to change it...let him sell his car....over TPMS...SMDH
Old 08-24-12, 09:26 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Filing a lawsuit over something as small as this is hilarious.. and hoping for a class-action lawsuit, even more so. Big deal, so Lexus glues the battery to the sensor. The sensors have a 7 year lifespan. If you can't budget for that, sell your car and buy an older Honda. They don't have TPMS sensors. You have to realize, you didn't buy the car brand new. Things like this are going to happen.

If you think this is bad, imagine what people are doing with other high-dollar products that have the same problem, and NO SOLUTION. Namely, unibody cellphones that do not allow you to swap the battery out, like the HTC One X (my phone), or the Apple Iphone 4S. Now, consider how many people own an Iphone4/4S. I'm sure many of them have come to the same conclusion that you have, that this design is a ploy to extract more money from customers by charging X amount of dollars for a battery replacement. Yet no class-action suits, or even small claims suits have been filed. Why? Because this is a non-issue. You're simply making it out to be an issue because you can't afford/don't want to pay for the "right" fix. Seriously, just get the two sensors from Sewell, use the CL discount, and get them programmed and installed for less than half of the cost you were originally quoted.
Old 08-25-12, 02:44 PM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

I replaced my thingamajigit sensor with one compatible with the flux capacitor design. It has to get up to 88mph before it works though.
Old 08-25-12, 05:02 PM
8lastoff
Driver

^^^^^ Hahahaha.
Old 08-25-12, 05:08 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Wow this idiotic thread is still alive
Old 08-25-12, 06:50 PM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

Do yourself a favor and get rid of the car dude....

If you can't afford a $200 bill for a repair or even a $50 bill then you shouldn't have gotten a "LUXURY" vehicle to start with. Just because the price of a used one now was in the range of what you could spend (which is about the price of a new regular car like a civic or corolla) doesn't mean you can afford the car. Maintenance is part of having the car and you need to think about what you need to spend to keep the car running good. Not only on regular maintenance but also with things that need replacing, specially on a 6-7 year old car... things WILL need to be replaced and what you would have spent on a part for a regular car like say, a corolla, you probably need to double it or triple it for the Lexus. So, if the Lexus is something you can't afford right now, sell it and buy something you CAN afford before you destroy the life of the Lexus and end up having no car and no money.
Old 08-25-12, 07:09 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4cyl
I replaced my thingamajigit sensor with one compatible with the flux capacitor design. It has to get up to 88mph before it works though.
Hit ECT-PWR, I hear it remaps the time circuits
Old 08-27-12, 11:17 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't know whether to lock this thread or make it a sticky.

You can buy a set of used TPMS sensors for $100 or so off the classifieds, and then have them programmed by an independent shop on the cheap. Problem solved.
Old 08-27-12, 11:19 PM
jgbackes
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brociouz
I don't know whether to lock this thread or make it a sticky.

You can buy a set of used TPMS sensors for $100 or so off the classifieds, and then have them programmed by an independent shop on the cheap. Problem solved.
Is deleting it an option

Quick Reply: TPMS battery died. Any way to salvage the car?