IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Radio Not Working after removing signal processor

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-12, 07:09 PM
scampbell
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radio Not Working after removing signal processor

Whats up guys, I have a question about what may have happened to my radio after uninstalling my Re-Q5 signal processor that was providing a signal to my amp for my sub. The harness for the processor was tapped into various wires at the amp in the trunk, wires for power, ground, remote turn on, etc, as well as speaker signal inputs of course. Well, me being an idiot the other day when i was uninstalling the unit from the car in preparation to sell it, i just cut through the bundle of wires from the harness all at once with a pair of wire cutters, and I think i may have shorted a +12V wire to something else and backfed it into the amp because now the radio will not put out any sound and the fade and balance are both set to the right rear speaker and will not change from that position...

Can anybody provide an idea of what might have happened and how to fix it?
Old 08-26-12, 09:27 AM
linus73
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

scott, try to disconnect the battery for a half hour or so, check all fuses in the car before doing so, and tape up any exposed wires. you must have been in a hurry to trade it in for something better and i understand your wanting to just cut all wires at once. but the truth is that you should never cut all the wires at once, always one at a time and tape it afterwards one at a time. i hope you didnt damage any electronics, but i fear the worst in this case.
Old 08-26-12, 01:53 PM
scampbell
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea i know man, i am always very careful when connecting or disconnecting electronics, except for this time that is....i was just in a hurry and forgot that there was a constant 12V wire going to the signal processor, I thought there was just an accessory power wire and since the car was off i thought i would be fine, but i was wrong. Do you think that i most likely damaged the amp or the head unit? Is there a seperate fuse for the amp and the radio?
Old 08-26-12, 06:15 PM
linus73
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scampbell
yea i know man, i am always very careful when connecting or disconnecting electronics, except for this time that is....i was just in a hurry and forgot that there was a constant 12V wire going to the signal processor, I thought there was just an accessory power wire and since the car was off i thought i would be fine, but i was wrong. Do you think that i most likely damaged the amp or the head unit? Is there a seperate fuse for the amp and the radio?
im sure there is a seperate fuse for each. but i have no idea where its located exactly. i think its a good possibility something was damaged, but lets hope not. check those fuses and rest the cars computers.