IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Full in-depth review, unboxing, & Q&A of ANDROID VAISTECH UNIT (video inside)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-12, 12:04 AM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rebs
Thanks for your response. For some reason my notification on this threat wasn't working, so I didn't see all these responses.

Yes, my android sounded like garbage through my receiver. It sounded like some garbage through headphones, and it sounded subpar with the vaistech (compared to the iPOD and the ML+).

I just got a new phone (the Note 2) and already it sounds better. I'm still working out the bugs though, so time will tell...

Does anyone else have an issue with the phone still losing battery life when plugged in? I've tried 3 different android phones, and different cables, and I did fresh boots while end tasking non-critical apps, and I still lose a charge. On my last 2 hour trip I lost more than 10% per hour.

Thanks for the input everyone.
Sounds like a note II issue.
Originally Posted by zach6432
So does anyone know if there are any issues with the IVIC and the Mark Levinson package?

I'm really considering this, but wouldn't want to lose DVD Playback functionality or sound quality.

Thanks!
No issues with ML stereo.
Originally Posted by epicshoote
Yes- I have had issues with battery drain as well- it is strange. If I am at 100% battery and plug it in it sometimes refuses to charge. I have seen this with just a regular car charger and also the charger that came with the phone. Android shuts down the port and does not open it back up when the charge depleats. I also noticed that a restart of the phone after the battery starts depleating gets it to start charging again. This is an android issue- not a VAIS issue.
What he said ^
Old 11-20-12, 12:11 AM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Anyone noticing the vaistech not run properly if your car battery gets drained? My vaistech lost steering wheel controls, home button wouldn't work, and it lost the memory of what kinda phone I had.
I don't know if the vaistech drained my battery or my car alarm.

Either way, it corrected itself yesterday after the car battery died for a second time.

Anyways, I still haven't forgotten to post up my video of the video cable.
I'm also going to test other phones next week after holiday.
Old 11-20-12, 10:12 AM
tziegler03
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet. That's awesome.
Old 11-21-12, 03:01 PM
CCJ22
Pole Position

I'm subed to Vaistech on youtube.

They just uploaded a new vid

Old 11-25-12, 08:24 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CCJ22
Sounds like a note II issue.
I had the same issue (not enough charge to offset the usage of GPS, Music, etc.) with the EVO 3D. I ordered a dedicated "charging" USB cable. These cables allow for at least 1 Amp of charging vs. the standard 0.5 Amp. I'll see if it makes a difference and report back later.

Last edited by rebs; 11-25-12 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-26-12, 06:31 AM
CCJ22
Pole Position

^Interesting. My droid RAZR charges good even with GPS, BT, etc... all on. However there are two USB ports in the IVIC. One charges the phone half *** the other port charges the phone as if it's hooked up to a wall charger. JUST FYI
Old 11-26-12, 06:32 AM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Has anyone loaded the latest update? I haven't done so yet.
Old 11-26-12, 10:44 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Has anyone loaded the latest update? I haven't done so yet.
I did an update about a month ago. If there's a more recent one, I haven't done that yet.
Old 11-26-12, 10:45 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

^Interesting. My droid RAZR charges good even with GPS, BT, etc... all on. However there are two USB ports in the IVIC. One charges the phone half *** the other port charges the phone as if it's hooked up to a wall charger. JUST FYI
I'll look into it. I'm under the impression I'm using the one I'm supposed to (i.e. not the one for updates, etc.), but I appreciate the heads up and I'll investigate further this week.

Thanks
Old 12-02-12, 09:35 AM
CCJ22
Pole Position

I did an update about a month ago. If there's a more recent one, I haven't done that yet.
Yeap, that's the one. I just now found it on their site. Wish there was a email they'd send out to owners stating the new update is available for download.
Did you notice any changes after the update?
I'm hoping the random right side lines go away that would happen randomly when I'd leave the phone hooked up, turn the car off, walk away, come back, turn car on...

I also wish they'd put the phone menu buttons on the bottom.
There is screen realestate (sp?) that is going to waste down there. Pretty sure we all have that issue. Where 15% of the bottom most part of the screen is black. That'd be a perfect place for the menu to be rather then the right side of the screen.
I'll look into it. I'm under the impression I'm using the one I'm supposed to (i.e. not the one for updates, etc.), but I appreciate the heads up and I'll investigate further this week.

Thanks
Rebs, what's your conclusion.
Old 12-02-12, 10:29 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Yeap, that's the one. I just now found it on their site. Wish there was a email they'd send out to owners stating the new update is available for download.
Did you notice any changes after the update?
I'm hoping the random right side lines go away that would happen randomly when I'd leave the phone hooked up, turn the car off, walk away, come back, turn car on...

I also wish they'd put the phone menu buttons on the bottom.
There is screen realestate (sp?) that is going to waste down there. Pretty sure we all have that issue. Where 15% of the bottom most part of the screen is black. That'd be a perfect place for the menu to be rather then the right side of the screen.

Rebs, what's your conclusion.
I did notice changes after the firmware update. Overall, the unit just seemed MUCH better. The random lines did disappear (at least for me) and the mouse input seemed much more accurate. There are also more options in the device setup phase, but I'm not sure what they all mean as the mode one seems to be undocumented (and I haven't asked anyone yet).

However, I have noticed some issues (but these may have been in the original firmware as well). One of the annoying ones is if you switch away from the audio screen (say you click the Lexus climate or maps), the Vaistech still recognizes any screen inputs for the phone. I'm not sure if this happens all the time, but I do know it has happened multiple times. I just haven't figured out the sequence of events yet. I also don't get an on-screen keyboard in any app with any keyboard one either device (Evo or Note 2).

No conclusion on the cable yet. I just got it late this week (it was delayed in shipping). Some people are reporting success with a dedicated charging cable and a 2amp adapter, but unfortunately (after I bought the cable) more and more failure stories have come out, so I'm a little nervous, but maybe I'll get lucky and the cable + Vaistech will be successful.

Sidenote: I also just got the Kuda mount. Not sure when I'll get it mounted though.
Old 12-02-12, 01:12 PM
CCJ22
Pole Position

I did notice changes after the firmware update. Overall, the unit just seemed MUCH better. The random lines did disappear (at least for me) and the mouse input seemed much more accurate. There are also more options in the device setup phase, but I'm not sure what they all mean as the mode one seems to be undocumented (and I haven't asked anyone yet).

However, I have noticed some issues (but these may have been in the original firmware as well). One of the annoying ones is if you switch away from the audio screen (say you click the Lexus climate or maps), the Vaistech still recognizes any screen inputs for the phone. I'm not sure if this happens all the time, but I do know it has happened multiple times. I just haven't figured out the sequence of events yet. I also don't get an on-screen keyboard in any app with any keyboard one either device (Evo or Note 2).

No conclusion on the cable yet. I just got it late this week (it was delayed in shipping). Some people are reporting success with a dedicated charging cable and a 2amp adapter, but unfortunately (after I bought the cable) more and more failure stories have come out, so I'm a little nervous, but maybe I'll get lucky and the cable + Vaistech will be successful.

Sidenote: I also just got the Kuda mount. Not sure when I'll get it mounted though.
I have noticed this too. When I am in the audio or nav and touch the screen the vaistech assumes I'm touching on the phone and I've had it skip tracks, etc... . Very annoying.

My on screen keyboard doesn't work on any of my Droid RAZR's. I have no on screen keyboard at all. Vaistech is aware of this. Apparently it's a phone issue.
Keep us posted on your cable.
Nice mount
Old 12-07-12, 12:20 PM
CCJ22
Pole Position

I'm noticing that if I get a text message while using IVIC the song replays... Anyone else get that?
Old 12-07-12, 01:59 PM
VaisTech
Club Lexus Vendor

New firmware version is now available on our ftp site. Please click on iVIC Firmware Update on the bottom of the iVIC page to update your unit. Be sure to download updated manuals on iVIC page as well, as some settings have been added and some have been changed.

Thanks!
Old 12-09-12, 09:56 AM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VaisTech
New firmware version is now available on our ftp site. Please click on iVIC Firmware Update on the bottom of the iVIC page to update your unit. Be sure to download updated manuals on iVIC page as well, as some settings have been added and some have been changed.

Thanks!
Do we need a password?
Thanks Vais!

Quick Reply: Full in-depth review, unboxing, & Q&A of ANDROID VAISTECH UNIT (video inside)