IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Full in-depth review, unboxing, & Q&A of ANDROID VAISTECH UNIT (video inside)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-12, 08:36 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well done!!!!!!
Old 12-09-12, 08:38 PM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen
Well done!!!!!!
Thanks Mike. P.S. you have an email about cv3's being chromed
Old 12-10-12, 10:07 AM
VaisTech
Club Lexus Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CCJ22
Do we need a password?
Thanks Vais!
You do! Please email us at info@vaistech.com with the user name that pops up and we will email you the password. Thanks.
Old 12-12-12, 08:28 PM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Ok will do, Thanks VAIS
Old 12-14-12, 08:54 AM
bonecrushr
Driver School Candidate

Thats pretty cool - nice to see android popping up on the OEM nav unit.
Old 12-19-12, 07:13 PM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Thanks BC,

Fellas the newest update is amazing. I now have full screen mode!
Remember when I reviewed the device and stated about 10% of the screen at the bottom is all black? Well not anymore with the latest update.
The only other thing I'd change is moving the VAIS controls to the bottom of the screen rather then the right side of the screen. Other then that my device is running flawlessly. Seems snappier too.
Old 12-21-12, 12:42 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

I have noticed this too. When I am in the audio or nav and touch the screen the vaistech assumes I'm touching on the phone and I've had it skip tracks, etc... . Very annoying.

My on screen keyboard doesn't work on any of my Droid RAZR's. I have no on screen keyboard at all. Vaistech is aware of this. Apparently it's a phone issue.
Keep us posted on your cable.
Nice mount
Sorry for the late reply. I completely 100% suck. If it's any consolation I feel guilty because I tested this a couple weeks ago, and evidently I was too lazy (or too disheartened) to type up my findings.

I've ran a lot of short term tests utilizing the battery monitory widget, which has a battery history that shows the draw, battery %, mV with a refresh of every 60 seconds. It's a tool I noticed a lot of people using on XDA in troubleshooting this type of issue, but I didn't write the tool and I can't guarantee it's 100% accurate. It did seem to be reporting correctly in my case, but your results my vary.

Also another disclaimer, although I ran quite a few tests they were always short tests of 2-3 minutes. The bottom line is regardless of the cable I used (or whether I used an independent car charger) my consumption was always higher than my charge rate therefore I slowly lose a charge. It's not a big deal on my daily commute (I may only lose 2-3% on the commute to work), but it sucks on road trips.

I will say that my charging rate did seem to be slightly worse with the included USB extension (for charging), but it was very slight and those results are somewhat subjective because I only ran short tests a couple of times.

I was told there is a kernel out there that allows phones to draw 2amps from car chargers, but I haven't tested it yet, and I would rather figure out a way to charge my phone with the vaistech device (perhaps vaistech + the kernel would also solve the issue), but I'm not quite ready to take that plunge again.

Again, I apologize for the delay and my disappointing results. I have tomorrow off and I may give it another whirl (assuming my procrastination towards wrapping gifts holds....and the world doesn't end ).
Old 12-21-12, 12:54 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Thanks BC,

Fellas the newest update is amazing. I now have full screen mode!
Remember when I reviewed the device and stated about 10% of the screen at the bottom is all black? Well not anymore with the latest update.
The only other thing I'd change is moving the VAIS controls to the bottom of the screen rather then the right side of the screen. Other then that my device is running flawlessly. Seems snappier too.
Thanks for the update. Looks like some of the updates were specifically for your phone model, right? Does your keyboard work? I could of sworn mine used to work on my original firmware, but stopped working with the October firmware update. The ironic thing is if i push on the input field on the phone (as opposed to the nav screen) it brings up the keyboard and i can type on the phone or the screen. ;-)

I'm going to give the December firmware update a whirl tomorrow (later today).

Sidenote: I love NFC tags with this device. I put a tag on my cell phone holder, so it automatically scans the tag when I mount my phone....

...The tag is programmed to switch the phone to landscape mode, launch doubletwist, launch waze, put the screen brightness @ the lowest level, turn off notifications (so it doesn't interrupt my tunes), etc. etc. Just thought I'd share because NFC tags in combination with this device makes things a lot easier.

(Random Rant: I really wish that my instant notification setting on this thread worked.)

Last edited by rebs; 12-21-12 at 01:07 AM.
Old 12-21-12, 04:38 AM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cool stuff! Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-21-12, 09:36 AM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

I have a droid 4 with no charging issues on ivic. I have seen the issue you speak of when using older cigarette lighter - usb adapter/chargers.

The only other time i see it is when the phone goes into overheat mode. I can see this being possible if you are running waze and doubletwist. I only say this because i know they are very cpu heavy. On my phone if i run waze and google maps the phone will overheat within a few minutes and refuse charging. Fyi, i am using 'battery indicator' as a quick method of monitoring battery usage/status.
Old 12-26-12, 09:42 PM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rebs
Thanks for the update. Looks like some of the updates were specifically for your phone model, right? Does your keyboard work? I could of sworn mine used to work on my original firmware, but stopped working with the October firmware update. The ironic thing is if i push on the input field on the phone (as opposed to the nav screen) it brings up the keyboard and i can type on the phone or the screen. ;-)

I'm going to give the December firmware update a whirl tomorrow (later today).

Sidenote: I love NFC tags with this device. I put a tag on my cell phone holder, so it automatically scans the tag when I mount my phone....

...The tag is programmed to switch the phone to landscape mode, launch doubletwist, launch waze, put the screen brightness @ the lowest level, turn off notifications (so it doesn't interrupt my tunes), etc. etc. Just thought I'd share because NFC tags in combination with this device makes things a lot easier.

(Random Rant: I really wish that my instant notification setting on this thread worked.)
My keyboard on the Droid RAZR still does not work :/
Old 12-26-12, 09:47 PM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Good news for DNA owners

Old 12-26-12, 10:27 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

My keyboard on the Droid RAZR still does not work :/
Same here (with the Note 2).

Some other issues (that I've had with multiple devices):

* Still have issues when touching the NAV screen on Climate, MAP, etc still registering cursor input on the phone (i.e. if you adjust the climate control you may turnoff your music, etc.)

* Random issues when you turn off the car, but leave the phone plugged in. When you start the car you may lose all connectivity (even though everything is securely connected), or it may register all touches as a "long touch". What does that mean? Well if you bring up a list of frequently used apps you will get a menu with options for "Remove from list" or "App info", etc.

It's a great device, but I'm still hoping for some additional updates to fix some of these bugs.
Old 12-26-12, 10:33 PM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rebs
Same here (with the Note 2).

Some other issues (that I've had with multiple devices):

* Still have issues when touching the NAV screen on Climate, MAP, etc still registering cursor input on the phone (i.e. if you adjust the climate control you may turnoff your music, etc.)

* Random issues when you turn off the car, but leave the phone plugged in. When you start the car you may lose all connectivity (even though everything is securely connected), or it may register all touches as a "long touch". What does that mean? Well if you bring up a list of frequently used apps you will get a menu with options for "Remove from list" or "App info", etc.

It's a great device, but I'm still hoping for some additional updates to fix some of these bugs.
Forgot to update you on that.
I also have issues when touching climate controls, stock navigation, etc...
ALSO if someone texts messages me it stops playing my music. Strange huh?
Those two issues plus no keyboard on screen are the only ones I'm dealing with ATM (for the Droid RAZR that is)
I'll keep ya posted.

I'm very tempted to just start using a USB stick to listen to music that way I can still have my steering wheel controls to use the next track/ previous track.
Old 12-27-12, 11:54 AM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Rebs, just spoke to Vais... GOOD NEWS
They were able to duplicate the issue we were seeing with the touching OEM nav or the heat/cool seatings and IVIC switching songs or pausing.
So they're going to release an update soon.
I need to give them my coordinates for the droid DNA too so that will be in the new update as well.

Quick Reply: Full in-depth review, unboxing, & Q&A of ANDROID VAISTECH UNIT (video inside)